bc.gold

Something not from landfill

bc.gold
On 11/17/2020 at 8:26 AM, Handy Don said:

@bcgold scanning manuals, especially including the OCR to make them text searchable is a terrific contribution to the community every bit as valuable as sharing a clever bit of fab engineering or a maintenance tip. Thank you. 

Some of the books ( minerals ) were scanned showing double page scans and not as searchable file. Aabby Finereader will open those horrible files and separate the pages saving the file as searchable.

bc.gold
On 12/16/2020 at 9:57 PM, RandyLittrell said:

I have an old HP windows 7 model that I received from my Mom when she bought a new windows 10 computer. It's a core I5 with 8 gigs of ram. 

I pulled the old hard drive out and put an SSD and downloaded a fresh copy of windows 10 from microsoft. It was a free download and its really fast compared to the old 7 system.. Loading a fresh copy from microsoft got rid of the bloatware than comes on new computers.

I am super happy with it!! 

I think I spent about $50 on the SSD and thats it! 

Randy

Randy from my personal experience and from what I've read from others all negative comments so can you tell me more about what it is you like a about Win 10, what features your using that makes the operating system stand out.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Edited by bcgold

RandyLittrell

I guess it helps I have always like windows to some extent. It does most things for you. I have had a little experience with linux and love the open source nature, but i'm just a analog guy living in a digital world and do not understand enough about linux to always do the things I want. 

For example, I have my ham license and it took me a whole day to figure out how to configure some software to program my radio, where with windows it took minutes. 

I think one reason I like 10 on this computer is the fact I downloaded a fresh new install from microsoft and didn't have all the bloatware that is usually installed with a computer that comes with windows already on it. I do have the pro version and downloaded it from microsoft for free. This computer did have pro7 previously though. 

I shut off cortana, turned off the tiles that come so it looks and acts more like windows 7. Shut off all the extra noticications I was getting as well. I searched and watched a couple of youtube video's on how to make 10 more like 7. I didn't save the links, there are a lot of them. 

I would be willing to bet you would get better performance out of your machine if you downloaded a fresh copy, wiped your harddrive and reloaded with out all the preinstalled bloatware. 

I am really not good with computers on the software side of things. I could take one apart, solder new components on or anything else that was mechanical in nature, but my mind struggles with the software side! 

Randy

• Thanks 1

bc.gold

OCR - ( optical character recognition ) is used to detect counterfeit money, verify boarding pass's, scan bar codes, facial and license plate recognition to name a few functions used in our daily lives.

This video is very interesting and the speaker shows how a simple misaligned printed target was responsible for a high rejection rate.

Forensic science at work.

RandyLittrell
On 12/22/2020 at 1:14 AM, bcgold said:

Randy from my personal experience and from what I've read from others all negative comments so can you tell me more about what it is you like a about Win 10, what features your using that makes the operating system stand out.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Here is a really good youtube page with some good windows 10 videos. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaSM4GqhbaVmRT7fmmFmR1w

and I think this is a good video. Has some good tips and be sure to install power toys. He has a link in the description on where to get it. 

https://youtu.be/RX160bcMFuA

I also think fresh downloads to get rid of bloatware is mandatory. 

I just put a $26 SSD in a free laptop and downloaded windows 10. You don't even have to put in the product key, it will find it automatically. Awesome that you don't have to pay for windows now as long as your laptop had a windows version on it before. 

Its a core I5 with 6 gigs of ram and its great. Its all 99 percent of people will ever need. Ordered a $10 external case for the old 500 gig harddrive so I can keep the little ssd clean and download all pics and such to the external one. 

Randy

• Thanks 1