danweikert21

trans pully issue

danweikert21
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

HI. It may be the camera angle, but to my eye from your images and video, the idler pulley is not in the same plane as the drive pulley. The engine side looks closer to the frame than the transmission side.  Remember that the belt is rotating counter-clockwise so it is riding out of the idler pulley starting from the engine side, not the transmission side.

If so, possible causes are:

a) a bent arm holding the idler (not likely unless you know of some recent impact or stress on that part),

b) the shaft that supports that arm is loose or has wallowed out the holes where it passes through the tunnel frame (with the belt off, is there play on that shaft?),

c) worn bearings in the idler pulley (this last being the most likely, as when running the idler is not holding a steady plane-does it wobble or have side to side play?)

There are two other less likely possible causes: 

a) the drive belt has an internal tear or broken cord that is causing it to not run straight when under tension (look for a slight side-to-side "kink" in the belt

b) there is a gouge or worn spot or crack in the belt on one of the "V" sides that causes it to "ride up" on the idler (look for a gouge or dip crack or exposed fabric cords)

Neither of these are usual results of wear on belts that aren't especially old running on well-aligned drive trains so it'd be some impact or stress that caused it--including having it run off a pulley and jam against a guide or retainer or having a stick or stone get stuck in the drive.)

Good luck!

So if this helps at all I have been using my wheel horse for pulling between me and my other buddy. And that could have caused stress. On the pulley 

Handy Don

Couple more things:

1. You had trouble with the transmission pulley.  Is there any "wobble" in the belt groove as it rotates? If the trans shaft or the bore of the pulley are damaged, you'll never get it to run true. Tape a piece of cardboard to the transmission body touching the outer edge of the pulley and then rotate the pulley--does it touch the cardboard in the same exact spot all the way around or does it move toward and away from the frame?

2. If you've regularly "popped the clutch" with the engine at full power, you've invited stress on the entire drive train.  There is a reason pulling tractors die young.

Handy Don

To my eye, unless the pulley is loose on the shaft, that amount of wobble isn't going to cause it to throw the belt. The problem is most likely elsewhere.

Handy Don

If you move the cardboard so that it touches going across the pulley, is the pulley centered on the shaft?

danweikert21

So it looks like the pulley is in contact with the cardboard all the way around.and to go off of what you said earlier I just got a new woodruff key and set screw for the pulley so it’s on there tight and good. Thanks :)

image.jpg

Handy Don

Look at the earlier items.  Probably not the drive pulley. Belt is coming off from the engine side so the problem lies with the idler pulley.

danweikert21

So the idler pulley on this has always been a bit of a problem. First being the belt guard looks very worn and almost sharp. And also when I took it into my lawn mower repair shop I work at the guys there thought that the arm was previously welded and cut it. Then they repositioned the braket ( belt guard ). So it could be possible it’s not in the right place. I guess it could also be bent or have bad bearings. I wish I knew more about this stuff thankfully you and everyone else here knows so much :) also thought I should mention the pulley on the engine check out the photo 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Handy Don

Look at the earlier items.  Probably not the drive pulley. Belt is coming off from the engine side. You simply must get the idler pulley running in the same plane as the engine and drive pulleys and it must not have any wobble or play in the support arm or bearings.  And the belt must not have any damage. The belt guard is a distraction--it is not involved when the drive is engaged and the belt is tight around the pulleys.  

From your comments, it sounded like the belt is coming off while driving.  If it is coming off when you release the clutch, that is a different issue. then the guard should be keeping the belt down in the groove of the idler so it cannot pop off when you release the clutch. Is this the belt that is having problems?  Has it been changed? Is the engine pulley in the correct place (and you sure didn't try to run it with the broken engine pulley, did you?)  You have a mess of different factors going on here. Go back to the list and check them all out.  You may need local help.