WheelhorseBob

Engine oil preferences.

WheelhorseBob

Ok get out your popcorn 🍿!

I really like discussions about what oil people prefer and why. 

Me personally, I run Pennzoil platinum in the F-250, Mobil 1 European in the wife’s German auto, Lucas classic car in the classic British car and Redline in the Harley.  

As for small engines I’m currently running 10-30 Kohler semi synthetic oil from TSC and 10-30 Amsoil small engine.

Anyone care to argue for straight weight oil? As I understand viscosity, 30 weight oil is the same through out temp ranges. 10w30 is 10 weight at start and 30 weight at operational temps. Seems like a no brainer but I’ve been accused of that before. 

Ok, this should be a fun discussion, no wrong answers! I’ll now sit with my popcorn. Btw, my name is BOB if you get it!

• Like 1

oliver2-44

since your in a colder winter state a multi viscosity 10w30 would make good sense to me.  

In warmer Texas I run 10w30 Mobile 1 in my better engine tractor.  I've got some very tired engines that I run 30 or 40 weight. 

ebinmaine

We run Straight 30 in the summer and 10w30 in the cold season. 

I switched to Kinetix brand a year or so ago. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

Multi-weight oil was always thought to be inferior due to the modifiers used to accomplish the required viscosity.  The advantage is only the fact that temperature may vary too much and it is not practical to be constantly changing oil to accommodate.   Follow the manufactures recommendations on viscosity, if straight weight is on the list and covers your expected temperatures, use it.  I think you are doing the correct thing with the Kohler oil with better anti-wear than SN and it is available in straight weight and multi-viscosity.

WheelhorseBob
2 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Multi-weight oil was always thought to be inferior due to the modifiers used to accomplish the required viscosity.  The advantage is only the fact that temperature may vary too much and it is not practical to be constantly changing oil to accommodate.   Follow the manufactures recommendations on viscosity, if straight weight is on the list and covers your expected temperatures, use it.  I think you are doing the correct thing with the Kohler oil with better anti-wear than SN and it is available in straight weight and multi-viscosity.

Great point, most straight weight oils are now SN. IMHO they do not have enough zinc.

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

We run Straight 30 in the summer and 10w30 in the cold season. 

I switched to Kinetix brand a year or so ago. 

kinetix? Do tell, never heard of it. Wait is it a Maine thing? Like potato oil or something?

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

kinetix? Do tell, never heard of it. Wait is it a Maine thing? Like potato oil or something?

No sir. 

It was at the place I bought a chainsaw. 

Specifically formulated for small engines. 

Decent zinc phosphate content. 

Price is also excellent. Right in line with other oils. 

WheelhorseBob
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

No sir. 

Interesting, I'll have to look into it. Wish I knew you needed a saw, I rebuild pro saws. Currently have a couple 372's and 357 big bore. Ok back on track oil!

• Like 2

WheelhorseBob
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

No sir. 

Btw, a couple of my best friends are from the County. I have no shortage of potato jokes.......

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

Btw, a couple of my best friends are from the County. I have no shortage of potato jokes.......

Bring em on. 

24 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

, I rebuild pro saws

I'll try to remember that!!

squonk

30W Rotella year round

• Like 3

peter lena

WHEELHORSEBOB,   really like the rotella 30 wt , something i tried a while ago was the RISLONE ZINC  ADDITIVE ,https://www.amazon.com/Rislone-4405-Supplement-Concentrate-Treatment/dp/B0075559UY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnb79BRDgARIsAOVbhRpD_KLHTC2d1OpLl9DJS6AGMAGR4wlZpGPRKpRGgSm-XdUJppPx61EaAl8CEALw_wcB&hvadid=323447289259&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9003310&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17304932886453211661&hvtargid=kwd-301586437419&hydadcr=6364_9585392&keywords=rislone+oil&qid=1605361769&sr=8-2&tag=googhydr-20, add a couple of ounces to each oil change , and the difference in smoother/ easier operational running is amazing . you will notice its easier running, amazon has the best price and delivery . being a lubrication nut , I  am always tweaking movement areas to make things last, that's another story , pete

• Like 2

clueless

Down here, Northwest Florida, Rotella 40wt, the average temp year round is around 73 degrees. I have cut grass many time in 99+ degrees, if it gets below 38 degrees I tend to stay inside :snooty:.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
12 hours ago, WheelhorseBob said:

Great point, most straight weight oils are now SN. IMHO they do not have enough zinc.

That is why I use the Kohler oil, if folks would just look at the labels they would see that Kohler and Kinetix do not have the SN designation and have the anti-wear additives that your government wants removed.  You can add Rislone or other additives, just know that too much or too little is harmful, I would rather buy oil made to work without doctoring it up.

• Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib
3 hours ago, clueless said:

below 38 degrees I tend to stay inside

What ???!!!  :occasion-snowman: that's perfect working weather outside for me with a T-shirt and shorts !! No more information than that!!

:ROTF:

• Excellent 1

tom2p
23 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Multi-weight oil was always thought to be inferior due to the modifiers used to accomplish the required viscosity. 

this was especially true back in the day with multi-grade conventional oil - after extended use 

apparently not as much an issue now with synthetic oils - if it still is an issue 

tom2p

Valvoline VR1 Racing oil - both  the conventional and synthetic blend - have a higher amount of ZDDP (zinc, phosphorus, etc) 

( VR1 is also available in 20w50 )

Advance Auto parts near me has this oil in stock 

I've been tempted to use this oil - but recently been using 5w30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability (full synthetic) after using Mobil 1 almost exclusively since the late 1980's 

( back then few if any motor oils were at the level of the original Mobil 1 )

Quaker State Ultimate Durability has tested well and is around $19 for a 5 quart container at Walmart 

• Like 1

lynnmor
17 minutes ago, tom2p said:

this was especially true back in the day with multi-grade conventional oil - after extended use 

apparently not as much an issue now with synthetic oils - if it still is an issue 

Can you direct me to a full synthetic 10W-30 that is not rated SN?

tom2p
24 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

good question 

few - if any - probably exist ?  (unfortunately)

possibly Valvoline VR1 synthetic ?

(not sure of the API certification - see pictures below)

or possibly small engine or racing oil from Amsoil ... or Lucas ?

16F94E34-B76C-4D07-8CDD-E2874151B2BF.png

BD6C82BB-FFC0-4575-8B5B-F6A1842BAB20.png

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

Greentored
On 11/14/2020 at 9:04 PM, tom2p said:

good question 

few - if any - probably exist ?  (unfortunately)

possibly Valvoline VR1 synthetic ?

(not sure of the API certification - see pictures below)

or possibly small engine or racing oil from Amsoil ... or Lucas ?

Just happened to have a couple cases in the shop as its what I run in my 66 olds (650hp big block chevy). Says "exceeds API service SL and all proceeding".

Aside from the synthetic in the 66, if its a flat tappet cam and/or an older engine, VR1 non synthetic goes in every single one, from my customers classic vehicles to my own, including the '53 Harley and the Horses.

When it comes to 90% of engines out there, the following applies:  Pick your favorite oil, keep it full, keep it changed, you'll be fine.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

seven

What about 30 wt non detergent I heard engines without oil filters this is what they used to use.

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, seven said:

What about 30 wt non detergent I heard engines without oil filters this is what they used to use.

That's something that used to happen and believe it or not it changed  years ago. 

Single cylinder Kohler engines are using Straight 30 detergent oil above 32°, and 10w30 detergent oil from roughly 40°, or so and lower. 

• Like 1

oilwell1415
On 11/14/2020 at 7:40 PM, lynnmor said:

Be careful with that.  Just because it isn't rated SN doesn't mean is isn't formulated to that spec.  Some of the best oils available aren't rated because the company doesn't want to go to the expense of getting a low volume oil certified.  The only reason Amsoil bothers to certify any of their oils is so they can be used in new vehicles without causing warranty problems.  Instead of looking at the rating, or lack of, look at the additive package and intended use of the oil.

7 hours ago, Greentored said:

When it comes to 90% of engines out there, the following applies:  Pick your favorite oil, keep it full, keep it changed, you'll be fine.

^^^^That's exactly right.  I may even up the percentage.  Oils are so good today that it really doesn't matter as long as you use a viscosity that can be splashed, slung, pumped, etc. to the places it needs to be.

As for what I use, my old truck that I drive every day rolled over 498k miles on my way to work this morning.  It gets the cheapest 20w50 I can find for it.  That's typically Castrol GTX lately, but sometimes I find other things.  All of our other vehicles get Amsoil Signature Series.  My new F-150 gets it in 5w20.  The Jeep, SS and Lightning get 5w30.  Our SeaDoo gets Amsoil Injector 2 stroke oil.  My Continental IO-470 gets AeroShell 100W straight 50 weight, which I mention here only because I think it would make a great tractor oil in a lighter viscosity.  I plan to do Amsoil in my WH as well.

• Like 1

Greentored

....and once again- this is why I love this place!  This is THE ONLY site I have EVER been a member of, where an oil debate thread doesn't turn into a war, period.

You guys rock!!!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Charbs152

i have a 18hp briggs opposed twin in my C-175 that i just got.  i put mobil 1 5w-30 with ZDDP additive for winter but will probably run straight 30w or 40w in the summer with ZDDP depending on brand. idk :confusion-shrug:

my KLR650 and TW200 motorcycles get a synthetic multi grade 50w motorcycle oil

Edited by Charbs152
  • Like 1