formariz

Large treadle grindstone build

formariz
25 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Pretty fancy tensioner!

Drops into a bench dog hole?  Can't remember seeing one but I really like it!

LOL. Its re purposing central here. Many years ago I owned a massive Ryobi chop saw with a 16" blade. The only two things left from it is this clamp that fit into a hole on the table and a 16" blade. For perhaps 25 years its been tossed around here constantly and finally it found a purpose.

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

LOL. Its re purposing central here. Many years ago I owned a massive Ryobi chop saw with a 16" blade. The only two things left from it is this clamp that fit into a hole on the table and a 16" blade. For perhaps 25 years its been tossed around here constantly and finally it found a purpose.

"16" blade"

Wow!  I was impressed with my 12" compound slider!

formariz
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

"16" blade"

Wow!  I was impressed with my 12" compound slider!

Before the compound saws were around that one was the only thing  able to miter up to 10”+ crown molding on the upright position on table. That was mainly its function.

DennisThornton
13 minutes ago, formariz said:

Before the compound saws were around that one was the only thing  able to miter up to 10”+ crown molding on the upright position on table. That was mainly its function.

Ok.  Understood.

A couple of friends had a:

Makita 5402NA 16-5/16-Inch Circular Saw

Really handy for timber frames!

formariz
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

Ok.  Understood.

A couple of friends had a:

Makita 5402NA 16-5/16-Inch Circular Saw

Really handy for timber frames!

Had one also. Used it often to cut through floors in NYC old brownstones. Still have also blades for it.

formariz

14” and 15” from the Ryobi and the Makita. There is a 16” one here too a bit buried.

FF5A87AB-187A-4119-B012-2FD7FBEF3DAA.jpeg.54bb88fcba1924e92d030ce6d5655d96.jpeg

• Like 2

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, formariz said:

Had one also. Used it often to cut through floors in NYC old brownstones. Still have also blades for it.

I live on 40 acres of woodlands with huge pines and some big hardwoods.  I have a Norwood sawmill and of course I'm interested in timber framing so that huge Makita was of interest!

While I still don't have one of those I do have one of these:

formariz

So today my oldest son was here with kids so it was the time to bring  grindstone out and have it’s first tryout with the gasoline run version. It essentially worked flawlessly needing only a few additional tweaks. No vibration whatsoever from engine and stone is now rotating at a comfortable consistent 85 RPMs with almost no tension on belt. Soon it will make the trip to its permanent location.

• Excellent 4

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, formariz said:

grindstone

Absolutely beautiful piece of work Sir. 

• Thanks 1

DennisThornton

Pleasure to watch!  Clever use of the gear reduction.

I noticed the clothes guard moves and I don't know why.

• Thanks 1

formariz
57 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I noticed the clothes guard moves and I don't know why.

Its actually vibration from the motor. Actually it is the only place vibration is noticeable. Guard is very narrow in thickness having only two screws from the bottom up into it holding it so it is relatively flimsy compared to everything else. It will also move slightly when using treadle.

DennisThornton

At first I thought the stone was pushing it but the stone looks perfectly round.  Odd vibration. 

Nice grinder!

formariz
23 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

At first I thought the stone was pushing it but the stone looks perfectly round.  Odd vibration. 

Nice grinder!

It is very odd and it has me puzzled a bit.Not that it matters but It drives me nuts when I don't understand why something does what it does. I am thinking that it has to do with wheel. Although wheel is pretty much dead on round, it does wobble sideways a little bit. That motion on the guard sort of follows that pattern. It almost like wheel twists frame slightly creating that motion on guard. A little more investigation is in order.

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, formariz said:

It is very odd and it has me puzzled a bit.Not that it matters but It drives me nuts when I don't understand why something does what it does. I am thinking that it has to do with wheel. Although wheel is pretty much dead on round, it does wobble sideways a little bit. That motion on the guard sort of follows that pattern. It almost like wheel twists frame slightly creating that motion on guard. A little more investigation is in order.

Yep!  Bothered me too because I couldn't see why.

DennisThornton

@formariz

Took me forever, but!

And by the way.  Sorry I missed your birthday!  Was really busy, actually still am..

Grindstones.jpg

formariz
3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Took me forever, but!

Awesome great find and in good condition. I really like the setup on the small one. You will find that one very useful.

DennisThornton

Great price on both and BOTH were at the same home!

I'll replace the wood on the motorized one and I'll keep the treadle intact but I'll straighten it.  There's a support for a drip container but I'll have to make one.

I'm uncertain how to refurbish it.  I could try to make it look like new but that's not really what I want, yet I just can't leave it as is...

Handy Don

The small one looks like it's mounted on a treadle sewing machine base. Cool.

DennisThornton
43 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The small one looks like it's mounted on a treadle sewing machine base. Cool.

Tis!  An added plus. I really like it but I LOVE the other one!

formariz
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm uncertain how to refurbish it.  I could try to make it look like new but that's not really what I want, yet I just can't leave it as is...

Probably the thing to do since it’s all there. Just oil it so it functions properly . Also oil all the metal parts to stop it from rusting more and keep that patina.it’s a great display piece. Everyone loves those things, it’s a great attention getter. Great charm to them.

Edited by formariz

DennisThornton
Just now, formariz said:

Probably the thing to do since it’s all there. Just oil it so it functions properly . Also oil all the metal parts to stop it from rusting more and keep that patina.it’s a great display piece. Everyone loves those things. 

I've used linseed oil but it will fail in time.  I prefer Tung oil now but I've not tested it outside for long.  Which oil?  Motor oil?

formariz

Either motor oil or WD40. Either will dry in time and has to be reapplied. Could also clear it with a flat or satin clear. Regular ocasional oiling and use will keep looking like that. It will be around long after we are gone.

DennisThornton
18 minutes ago, formariz said:

Either motor oil or WD40. Either will dry in time and has to be reapplied. Could also clear it with a flat or satin clear. Regular ocasional oiling and use will keep looking like that. It will be around long after we are gone.

Then I think I will hammer and dolly a few spots and put some petroleum products to her!  Look forward to using it.  Stone is almost perfect but I'd like to true it as you did.