formariz

Large treadle grindstone build

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, formariz said:

@DennisThornton and everyone else. This one is close to me and its pretty cheap. I don't know what size it is I am waiting for that answer. I don't think it is @@" like mine but its not small. I am willing to get it and keep it until final destination can be resolved.

grindstone.jpg.5750efad914617f34fcd70b52d4f8ad9.jpg

For more reasons than this I wish we were closer.  That's as nice as I've seen around here and the stone looks good too!  Yep!  Wish we were closer!

WHNJ701
On 11/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, DennisThornton said:

That's my goal!  Just a decent stone! 

I've watched a guy build one so I think I can too! 

Though I would like to have the original shaft but I could build that too if I had too.

In my travels over the years of interesting tract survey's, we would come across these round stones or mill stones every once and awhile, sometimes repurposed as walk way stones, in gardens, on place I remember they in a stone wall, sometimes proped up on stone row.

If you know of any old farms or properties by you might be worth asking to take a walk and see what turns up

DennisThornton

I see them around but most are chipped or not really round any more.  I'll just have to look more and closer.

Thanks!

formariz

So the idea here is to use what I have in stock. Since there will be a tractor seat on it anyway why not another tractor part. When not moving it I can just remove wheels.

229729F6-5A90-4FF1-B1EF-67C32A55F90F.jpeg.cb370bd14123a3db4b8f6d3d8235a916.jpeg

3626BB38-3EDB-499F-AD30-E298631803A5.jpeg.69266276e54ef594086615183774b784.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

tom2p

great idea !

DennisThornton

I took a quick look at the first picture and I was trying to figure out what tractor part?  Remove the wheels?  What's he mean?

Then I saw the second picture!:text-lol:

Was that planned all along?  Or did you just now work that in to make it more appropriate for this forum!

formariz
2 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Was that planned all along?  Or did you just now work that in to make it more appropriate for this forum!

Of course not! No planning just improvisation as I go along .I just wanted wheels removable and able to be reinstalled relatively easily without having a large contraption to achieve it. Unit is heavy so i have to use both hands to lift it enough to put wheels in and out . This way I can just push axle right into position with my foot while lifting. Perfect position and location for that. Just happened to have an extra atachmatic .

• Like 3

tom2p
21 hours ago, formariz said:

Of course not! No planning just improvisation as I go along .I just wanted wheels removable and able to be reinstalled relatively easily without having a large contraption to achieve it. Unit is heavy so i have to use both hands to lift it enough to put wheels in and out . This way I can just push axle right into position with my foot while lifting. Perfect position and location for that. Just happened to have an extra atachmatic .

I think it was planned 

you strung us along - and then boom !  got us !

or - you were checking to see if we were paying attention !

lol

• Haha 1

formariz

So it is all finally done. Now it’s the tuning part. Cleaning and flattening (dressing)stone’s business end. For it I always use an old diamond coated masonry blade. It cuts stone real fast and it’s easy to control progress. Stone was already not too bad so about after one hour sitting at it it’s perfectly flat and round. Not all stones I have come across cut well but this one cuts really aggressively. Slurry created by dressing it will already stay on it permanently. When it gets wet again it will speed grinding process already.

036B1771-0012-402A-A69F-A3FC7B11F94D.jpeg.0972a79ec16778f5ec732396dd0ec26e.jpeg

D791742A-1E67-434D-A609-C0699688CF28.jpeg.c64f1b229d75978234653c9b1ae6b71c.jpeg

CBD5C064-70D9-4296-8154-C9484ECA074F.jpeg.ea031fc63af5f63a0b44a705c3d00608.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

formariz

A little surprise while cleaning some of the metal on wheel. Patent date on big “washer” 

August 7 18??. I think patent may be for the actual  wheel“axle”? Got to do a little research. Don’t want to actually remove it from wheel since it may create problems due to how long it has been there.

30060965-DA2B-4817-88F9-243D433E5200.jpeg.d3eb88075e1af6a956378162207f1816.jpeg

formariz

Found it. Its August 7,1883. @oliver2-44 I believe that this puts some light on your earlier question. Although I cannot ascertain for sure yet, but most likely all of these grindstones have a square hole. As per the patent on this device this allows one to mount shaft into the square hole of wheel and adjust it prior to truing wheels edge. I can see through a couple of the holes on this device on my wheel and I can see that there is a big void in there justifying a square hole.

US282546.pdf

US282546-0.png.0e4b91e425b960eecad54d3c0975c976.png

Edited by formariz
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

DennisThornton

Isn't that neat to be able to date it and track it!  Gads I love the Internet!  I remember going to the Cincinnati Museum and physically digging through lots of old magazines looking for stuff like this!  Now you set at home and find most anything!  Not everything new is great but I love to be able to find old technology with new technology!

DennisThornton

Found this online today.  Not treadle but peddle, not large but still neat!  Lots of old bikes around!

image.png.41fe0636f9d71a96bc687dc0253b2436.png

Edited by DennisThornton
added "online"
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

formariz
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Isn't that neat to be able to date it and track it!  Gads I love the Internet!  I remember going to the Cincinnati Museum and physically digging through lots of old magazines looking for stuff like this!  Now you set at home and find most anything!  Not everything new is great but I love to be able to find old technology with new technology!

You are right. Awesome to be able to have any kind of information at your finger tips, literally. If not for it we would probably not know half of what we have learned about so many things.

2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Found this online today.  Not treadle but peddle, not large but still neat!  Lots of old bikes around!

That is a really cool unit. Pretty nice efficient base design. I gather that seat adjusts along support also .Most people today wonder why one would need to sit while grinding anything, basically because just about no one does it. They either don't sharpen anything or they send it out to be done. If they had to absolutely do it on a regular basis they would immediately understand the concept of sitting at it. There are times when I literally stand at a grinder for hours and it just kills my back and now my knees also. The sitting makes it possible to do it now. That was part of the reason I now decided to build the stand for this one, just for those times I need to be at it for a long time. Now I just need to get my right leg in shape.

• Like 1

formariz

Gave it a good try out today. Made an improvement on the water distribution on wheel.  Wheel cuts really nice and fast. I think I am also going to fit a removable motor on it for the long grinding sessions. 
A22FB4B3-7C13-44AF-830B-69DF9FB54242.jpeg.5b0538110e83797ddb1d4d73e7d35ab5.jpeg

3A00473E-E6FA-4AD9-92DD-4169BBEB5DE1.jpeg.3d0bfce3f593a9ddb2407b92ed7ad9f3.jpeg

• Like 3

Zeek

Again, that's a pretty cool project, nice job! Plus you can use it :text-woo:

formariz

She was just too lonely. Got a “little” sister.

AF70A956-206B-43BD-AAD0-74C6C328EE8C.jpeg.b4f74e8d271384a5c5ef93ce33a1685a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton
On 12/1/2020 at 4:39 PM, formariz said:

Gave it a good try out today. Made an improvement on the water distribution on wheel.  Wheel cuts really nice and fast. I think I am also going to fit a removable motor on it for the long grinding sessions. 
A22FB4B3-7C13-44AF-830B-69DF9FB54242.jpeg.5b0538110e83797ddb1d4d73e7d35ab5.jpeg

3A00473E-E6FA-4AD9-92DD-4169BBEB5DE1.jpeg.3d0bfce3f593a9ddb2407b92ed7ad9f3.jpeg

Nice to have that wide of a stone!  And what a wonderful hollow grind!  Be easy to finish and touch up!

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, formariz said:

She was just too lonely. Got a “little” sister.

AF70A956-206B-43BD-AAD0-74C6C328EE8C.jpeg.b4f74e8d271384a5c5ef93ce33a1685a.jpeg

Same plan?

formariz
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

Nice to have that wide of a stone!  And what a wonderful hollow grind!  Be easy to finish and touch up!

With a regular bench grinder having a six inch stone or even up to a 10" stone such as I have on my bench wet grinder, hollow grind produced is in fact "too hollow". The edge from those wheels is generally too fragile. The harder the tool the worse it is. Edge just does not have enough support behind it to withstand heavy use. On my mortise chisels I actually don't use a hollow ground edge. Edge would just crumble quickly from the heavy pounding.

This size stone is actually the best compromise for that problem. It is still hollow ground but it is minimal due to the large circumference of wheel. It leaves an edge with enough support behind it, and still have a  minimal hollow just enough to make honing easier and quick.

Edited by formariz

formariz
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Same plan?

This one actually came with a metal stand that one mounts like a bicycle. Stand is in rough shape and it is missing a couple of parts such as one of pedals and the seat. Idea on it is just to refurbish stand ,getting the missing parts and just leave it original. I have no need for it but it was so close and at $50.00 I could not pass it up. Surprisingly there are quite a few nice ones close to me but none of them at that price or even close to it. I have offered it to someone that may be looking for one so it will be here if they so wish. Soon it will be fully usable. It will be here in the museum of how things used to be in the old days fully appreciated every day.

• Excellent 1

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, formariz said:

With a regular bench grinder having a six inch stone or even up to a 10" stone such as I have on my bench wet grinder, hollow grind produced is in fact "too hollow". The edge from those wheels is generally too fragile. The harder the tool the worse it is. Edge just does not have enough support behind it to withstand heavy use. On my mortise chisels I actually don't use a hollow ground edge. Edge would just crumble quickly from the heavy pounding.

This size stone is actually the best compromise for that problem. It is still hollow ground but it is minimal due to the large circumference of wheel. It leaves an edge with enough support behind it, and still have a  minimal hollow just enough to make honing easier and quick.

I understand!  Especially with mortise chisels.

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, formariz said:

This one actually came with a metal stand that one mounts like a bicycle. Stand is in rough shape and it is missing a couple of parts such as one of pedals and the seat. Idea on it is just to refurbish stand ,getting the missing parts and just leave it original. I have no need for it but it was so close and at $50.00 I could not pass it up. Surprisingly there are quite a few nice ones close to me but none of them at that price or even close to it. I have offered it to someone that may be looking for one so it will be here if they so wish. Soon it will be fully usable. It will be here in the museum of how things used to be in the old days fully appreciated every day.

Perhaps some day...

formariz

So here is the gasoline version of the grindstone. Motor is easily removed and replaced. Belt tension is fully adjustable to allow motor to be started and then tensioned just enough to turn wheel without putting undue strain on wheel bearings. Although not physically attached to stand motor is fully secure in it and fully adjustable. Need to just take it outside to start it and give it a trial run. Vibration from motor is my only concern but if it is an issue I already thought of a couple of solutions or it. Most likely will have to also move  wheels to the motor side for transportation. Unit will have a permanent place outside so the gasoline version may be the one to stay with. Motor works really nicely just needed a few parts from the vast stock here such as a tank, recoil start, carburetor and air filter.

5C520534-E3AF-45A7-B41C-938785C3D9CB.jpeg.20dda00d423521c01eef24ecf8fd15db.jpeg

7ADA5ECE-596B-41B3-A1E7-A205FE68C8AE.jpeg.fa3f47f69e4804f292745257fda00991.jpeg

7F80B4F1-7BED-4302-B754-F4CD521405D5.jpeg.4a184efe5617442491ef6b520283dd76.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

DennisThornton

Pretty fancy tensioner!

Drops into a bench dog hole?  Can't remember seeing one but I really like it!