oliver2-44

2020 Deer Hunting

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

I understand the wind and the trees Ed!  I was going to ask, what is your method of keeping warm?  

I  also use the rain gear to cut the wind but I put it on the outside  and keep the insulation under.  I have an XL gore-tex  waterproof  Woolrich parka and bibs that I wear over insulated coveralls over Gander Mt. Guide Series duotherm long johns.

I never had any luck with Under Armor type wear.

102_2412.JPG.a672364434f2dc869b8b73d26fabe43b.JPG

102_2413.JPG.a19103c6d238742009a5e62331a4bafa.JPG

This Nordic Wear head/neck gear is a must for us guys with no fur on our noggins.

102_2411.JPG.d3f7eae71b465264cf8e9c3a2584c760.JPG

I wear a 30 yo pair of 1000gram  Rocky boots that have been resoled 2X.     These were USA made before they went to China.

When it really gets cold and I don't have far to walk, I wear the LaCross pacs.   The Muck type boots never worked for me.  My feet always sweat in them.

102_2414.JPG.ffdaf5ff684bafd884abc2f602cd9ede.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Mikey the Monkey

@pullstartAnd a case of spotted cow.... Mooooo

• Haha 2

Pullstart

Well, missed a good sized doe at 200 yards.  I need to practice more with this gun, I had no idea to aim high or dead on.  Good news, is I saw 4 does at separate times today!  At least it was a clean miss, she jump, ran, stood while I reloaded then ran across the neighboring field, then across the street about 1/8th mile away.  Just then, a different doe camp into the grass and bedded down.  I’ve created such a good bedding area for them, I can’t even see them walk!  Time to mow more lanes and clearings to direct them!  I walked the trail where she ran and stopped, no blood.  I’d rather clean miss than wound, but I’d much rather be gutting a deer!

@Ed Kennell  Sailor’s delight!  I ended the night laying on my backpack near the edge of the field, until dark dark.

700518CE-9106-4E6A-AE81-BCDC30B3627B.jpeg

ACDC43B4-2031-4E49-80E1-7150FA66BC80.jpeg

• Like 4

WHX??

What's your guys  opinions on baiting, if legal where you hunt.  Somewhat of a hot topic around here. The wild life viewers only demand it, the hunters it's about a 50/50 yea/nay. 

Edited by WHX24

Pullstart
30 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

What's your guys  opinions on baiting, if legal where you hunt.  Somewhat of a hot topic around here. The wild life viewers only demand it, the hunters it's about a 50/50 yea/nay. 

I feel like the big ‘ole monster bucks that are old like the Uncle Jim’s of the world won’t bother a bait pile.  They got old and mean by being wiser than most.  For putting meat in the freezer, there is nothing wrong with adding a little enticer.  I feel like there is no way that it could aid to the spreading of CWD or other deadly deer issues, any more than farmer’s crops, my garden, or a food plot.

That’s what I think :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
9 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I feel like the big ‘ole monster bucks that are old like the Uncle Jim’s of the world won’t bother a bait pile.  They got old and mean by being wiser than most.  For putting meat in the freezer, there is nothing wrong with adding a little enticer.  I feel like there is no way that it could aid to the spreading of CWD or other deadly deer issues, any more than farmer’s crops, my garden, or a food plot.

New State of Michigan deer mandate just came out... all deer within 6’ of a bait pile or blind must wear a mask... :ph34r: ... those not doing so will be put in the freezer... 

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

WHX??
45 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I feel like the big ‘ole monster bucks that are old like the Uncle Jim’s of the world won’t bother a bait pile. 

I dunno Kev I got some pretty nice ones coming to bait. All nocturnal tho that's where they get smart.

45 minutes ago, pullstart said:

For putting meat in the freezer, there is nothing wrong with adding a little enticer.  I feel like there is no way that it could aid to the spreading of CWD or other deadly deer issues, any more than farmer’s crops, my garden, or a food plot.

Agreed, that's not the way they feel about it here tho. Baiting and recreational feeding gets banned in the counties in and surrounding counties where CWD is discovered.

Food plots or hunting over that field we plowed with harvest corn waste is legal. Plenty of stuff ther for deer and turkeys we turned over.

Also interesting about your comment about the line at the local processor. Many of the bigger meat markets, around here anyway, have quit it due to CWD so it only leaves the freelancers  to take a deer to for cut up and they seem to be overwhelmed.

Dan @Achto reputable source told me Stoneridge  quit accepting carcasses as they had some kind of deal with Jack Links (well known beef jerk maker)  and they prohibited processing wild game there ???? Musta been a pretty lucrative deal after they just built on a $$ addition for taking carcasses. Still can take your boned meat ther for sausage making tho.  

Like Mr. Kennell  I prefer to do it myself but with work at this time of year I just don't have the time. Retire you say I'm game for that! :)

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto

While a lot people in Wisconsin will be sitting out in the cold this Saturday while they are trying to harvest a deer. I have a date in a warm garage with my Darned Old Dirty Gas Eater and hopefully enough parts to get it running again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Absolutely no baiting allowed here in Pa except for a few small areas around Philly and Pittsburg where the deer are destroying the suburbanites flowers.

• Like 2

WHX??
20 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

CHEESEHEAD Ravens fan

Not really Ed ... actually more of a Steeler fan from way back in the iron curtain days. I just don't like teams we have to meet in the SB that go undefeated! :)

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Ok all you Bambi killers , start taking plastic bags with you to gather leaves in. The great toilet paper ,paper towel shortage is starting again. Went to the local Walmart this AM and the shelves were almost stripped of products. 

• Haha 3

Zeek

I don't know if pigs qualify for a deer hunting post, but we got this overnight. 1) to eat and 2) because they cause a LOT of destruction.

892398337_20201119_114924(Medium).jpg.d6ae89d0fedc716ef16ad38945aceaaf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

rmaynard

Amazon.com: Large 6 Inch Black and Gray Pig Butcher Cuts Diagram  Embroidered Iron-on Patch Applique: Clothing

You let me know when you are having the bar-b-que, and Theresa and I will be down. :lol:

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Ed Kennell

In the tree 2-5:30     No deer or pigs.       Last day of archery tomorrow then a week off till rifle season opens.  I need a week off .   40 days in a tree has me burned out.

• Excellent 1

Zeek
6 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Amazon.com: Large 6 Inch Black and Gray Pig Butcher Cuts Diagram  Embroidered Iron-on Patch Applique: Clothing

You let me know when you are having the bar-b-que, and Theresa and I will be down. :lol:

:D

butchered.jpg.b5232b9c8f24acf717224ad70f774319.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Where's the bacon?:confusion-shrug:

• Like 2

Zeek
8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Where's the bacon?:confusion-shrug:

That didn't make the glamor shot :wub:

• Haha 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Zeek you could get a job at one to big pig processing plants.  

• Like 1

Zeek
8 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Zeek you could get a job at one to big pig processing plants.  

My buddy did that, I can't take credit. He stressed this was his WIFE'S WHITE SHORT BED because his jacked up 250 turbo D is in the shop getting some fab work :tools-hammerdrill:

• Like 1

Pullstart

@Zeek, good to see you on the forum more often!  I seem to recall you mentioning after your move to FL that internet service was practically zilch and limited too?  When are y’all going on another pig hunt?  I’d love to help on a few of those!

• Like 1

Zeek
22 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@Zeek, good to see you on the forum more often!  I seem to recall you mentioning after your move to FL that internet service was practically zilch and limited too?  When are y’all going on another pig hunt?  I’d love to help on a few of those!

It was kind spotty depending on where we were at. Once we got settled it was good, but I also built a garage and did a whole house paint remodel so I didn't have a lot of time.

I keep a trap out there all the time. When I start to see activity (destruction), we bait it with fermented corn. We have four more to get that were on the game camera with the one caught yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44
On 11/18/2020 at 6:07 PM, pullstart said:

116385958_buchatfeederatnight.JPG.fe6b77fda0b341e783b271ba3926223e.JPG

I agree that the big bucks got old by being wiser than most. I've never seen this one during the day but have night pictures of him last year and now this year. His wisdom seems to be night travel and feeding.  I have several pictures of him trying to knock more corn/protein out of the feeder   

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

steelman
15 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

40 days in a tree has me burned out.

I've probably got that many hunts in too and it does take a toll on you. I was able to take a decent buck two weeks ago so I am just out there looking for the right buck to fill my second tag. Been seeing lots of deer and passed up a buck and a couple of nice doe this week, which I will probably regret as the weather turns colder. With Michigan's opener on a blustery Sunday this year, the number of hunters out there is down...a lot in my opinion. I read where there were 1.2 million hunters in the eighties and nineties and now the numbers are under 700,000. If this decline continues, I don't see how the herd will be controlled in the years to come. I'm taking a few days off too and will head back to my farm on Monday.

• Like 2

Pullstart
33 minutes ago, steelman said:

I've probably got that many hunts in too and it does take a toll on you. I was able to take a decent buck two weeks ago so I am just out there looking for the right buck to fill my second tag. Been seeing lots of deer and passed up a buck and a couple of nice doe this week, which I will probably regret as the weather turns colder. With Michigan's opener on a blustery Sunday this year, the number of hunters out there is down...a lot in my opinion. I read where there were 1.2 million hunters in the eighties and nineties and now the numbers are under 700,000. If this decline continues, I don't see how the herd will be controlled in the years to come. I'm taking a few days off too and will head back to my farm on Monday.

That should mean better luck for us who continue the hunt!

• Like 1

steelman

Yea, it will if the herd is healthy. Too many deer often result in diseases. We had a severe case of EHD back in 12....hit you pretty hard over there too. I’ve heard that it killed 60% of the herd in some areas. We are just getting back to normal here these past couple of years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1