Alan173

Resto For My 1979 Wheel Horse B-111 Tractor

Snoopy11
4 minutes ago, Alan173 said:

Jobs I learned today I never want to do again

May I add one? Our basement has a pair of sewage pumps to pump out the ...proceeds... from the sewage pit that is fed by the basement bathroom. :lol:

Guess who had to replace those when they went out...? Never again I vow... :snooty:

Let's just say... it takes lots and lots and lots of toilet paper to clean up after seeing the man about THAT dog... :rolleyes:

The Perfect Dog de Florentbodart - Camisetas Pampling.com | The perfect ...

Don

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Alan173 said:

the strongest molecular bond known to humankind

I think one thing that goes against us when using spoons is that when you get the spoon in there and push, you are actually 'rolling' the bead back and squeezing it against the wheel, making it tighter.  That's why the tire machines have that spoon thingy.  It's pushing on the tire at the point that it contacts the wheel.

I've resorted to driving the car up onto the tire, sometimes using a 2x4 with the end cut at an angle wedged in between the tire and the wheel.

How's this for artistic license? (that's a 1998 Monte Carlo if you didn't recognize it! LOL!)

image.png.4b6c23f923e4c9066fe2a286a480480f.png

Then, you can beat on the tire bead with the tools of your choice while the 2x4 holds the tire outta the way.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

How's this for artistic license? (that's a 1998 Monte Carlo if you didn't recognize it! LOL!)

AH MAN! I guessed wrong... I was thinking that it was the Volks... :lol:

Don

• Haha 2

ineedanother
21 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

image.png.4b6c23f923e4c9066fe2a286a480480f.png

Then, you can beat on the tire bead with the tools of your choice while the 2x4 holds the tire outta the way.

There was a time when I'd be all about that, even the art :lol: but at my age I'm more in line with @SylvanLakeWH and going the Discount Tire route. Especially for the installation with new tires and tubes. I'm gonna pay the man :baseball:

• Like 4

Handy Don
2 hours ago, ineedanother said:

There was a time when I'd be all about that, even the art :lol: but at my age I'm more in line with @SylvanLakeWH and going the Discount Tire route. Especially for the installation with new tires and tubes. I'm gonna pay the man :baseball:

That'll be me just ahead of you in line at the tire shop!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Heatingman
22 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

May I add one? Our basement has a pair of sewage pumps to pump out the ...proceeds... from the sewage pit that is fed by the basement bathroom. :lol:

Guess who had to replace those when they went out...? Never again I vow... :snooty:

Let's just say... it takes lots and lots and lots of toilet paper to clean up after seeing the man about THAT dog... :rolleyes:

The Perfect Dog de Florentbodart - Camisetas Pampling.com | The perfect ...

Don

You’ll likely opt to do it again when you get the price from a plumber to do it.

• Haha 3

Heatingman
22 hours ago, Alan173 said:

For those of you who have done this job (tire removal of 43+ year old tires) and lived to tell your grandkids a serious ‘tip of the hat’ to you!  Wow!  Just braking the seal of probably 43 years of rust, dry rot and fix-a-flat which apparently in just the right combination is the strongest molecular bond known to humankind...nearly did me in.  I swear the rear tires are looking back at me and laughing.  Maybe there is a small machine at the local mower shop for this?  Any/all tips are appreciated.

E5BE0A2D-02DA-4A7C-9A0D-DBE3B0241582.jpeg

Wait till you do the back tires.

You’ll want to take a nap afterwards. I wound up using the 12 ton press on mine.

Edited by Heatingman
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Alan173

I think I have finally run into what must be the Achilles Heal of the B-111 tractors.  The rear wheels!  Mine are rusted in place to the half shafts of the transmission.  They don't budge.  Any tips or tricks appreciated for this problem?  All my wheel pullers didn't make them budge either...even after serious persuasion.  Soaking them in penetrating oil to no avail but will keep trying.  The only solution seems like disassembly of the factory sealed transmission (BLAH!!!!!!!), pull out and disassemble the limited slip differential....take out the planetary gear set and then finally take the half shafts out.  Any guidance or thoughts on this?

I knew the rear wheels where laughing at me when I struggled with the front wheels.  I had no idea it was this sinister.... ;-)  

* Update:  one half shaft failed at the e-clip and came out with the rim.  Took forever but I was finally able to get the shaft out of the rim.  The other rim is still stuck on the half shaft in the transmission.  It looks like I’ll have to pull the transmission with one wheel on.  Oh boy….

8F0BDF0F-B612-4A8E-8853-CFDE523BB54C.jpeg

E5476C9F-0942-4529-B171-0C5CBB955FE8.jpeg

Edited by Alan173
  • Sad 2

ebinmaine

I've never tackled one of those transmissions and I've never tried to remove the wheels themselves directly from an axle shaft. Everything I've gotten into has been the regular unidrive with the hubs on the axles.

Hence, take my inclination with a grain of salt.

There are situations in our overall existence where we try to take a shortcut and then we realize that the shortcut turned into the loooong-cut.

It's distinctly possible that whatever the lube is in that transmission should be cleaned out and replaced anyway.

If you have access to a press,  and you can get the bare shaft out of the bare wheel using that method, it's likely worth your time to disassemble that transmission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alan173

At least it is identified.  Foote 4000-5 transmission.  If you look close you can see the original marking…

75F07994-AD2F-4A07-98E8-FA569D380791.jpeg

25EC83A8-A0B4-4913-89C9-251451315FCD.jpeg

E92A76EA-BB6F-4479-A9C0-9909BF1C22B5.jpeg

Edited by Alan173
  • Like 2

Alan173

Transmission disassembled.  Wheel/differential and half shaft finally removed.  Ok…maybe shingling a roof wasn’t so bad….😉.  Transmission so far is in decent shape as I continue the inspection.  Faced off one of the bevel gears on my mill, replaced a few snap rings, added a few shims…still going through it.  I present two rear tires/rims and some friends that helped:

EA9A727F-3896-43FE-82FE-A5879152798A.jpeg

5D8689D7-1A15-49A8-BD63-05B7E5A32FEE.jpeg

2212AAB9-E464-4AC2-9BEC-9199D8244217.jpeg

Edited by Alan173
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Heatingman

Holy cow, thats one heck of a tire removal. 

Nice work.

• Like 3

Alan173

It is the small victories which should be celebrated.  Even after a lifetime of removing broken bolts my heart still jumps a bit when the broken bolt breaks free…and not the EZ Out tap…

Edited by Alan173
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Alan173

Transmission back together with TWO half shafts in place…sans the stuck wheel.  Much better.  🤞 it still works as it did before.  I had to remove every spec of grease from the bevel gears before the differential assembly would drop back into place….then re-grease.  That order was very important.

84995C16-F781-4346-922E-486DCD87FE11.jpeg

Edited by Alan173
  • Excellent 6

Alan173

Some days…you just put in the new air filter and put the freshly painted cover on.  Ok…looks good…done for the day…

3C5CC14F-AAF8-440C-970E-29A8DBE68836.jpeg

073354BA-88D1-45D3-9933-9CD5C115CE79.jpeg

Edited by Alan173
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Alan173 said:

Some days…you just put in the new air filter and put the freshly painted cover on.  Ok…looks good…done for the day…

No need to rush. :lol:

• Like 2

Alan173

Transmission going in….

48F987C8-0EFF-44ED-9F4D-B706BD77E8FC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Heatingman

I see some rust on that diff mount bracket. No better time to take care of that then now.

looking really good.

• Like 4

Alan173

I'll give that diff mount bracket some love as I go.  Just trying to get the major tasks done while the weather is still decent.  Painting the rims in short order.  One thing I learned with this transmission is cleaning up the shifter lever and the associated detent ball bearings/springs is key.  The transmission wasn't shifting quite right after re-assembly and was now having trouble holding a gear position.  Be sure to clean out the set screws and detent balls for the shifter....and then adjust them properly with the two set screws.  I can imagine after years of service these detent balls (and detents) get worn/out of round and make shifting difficult or show up as the transmission missing a gear.  They are 3/16" (0.1875") so be sure to check them.  With them all cleaned up, re-greased it seems to shift much more crisp now.  **Note - the set screws are 100% accessible with everything assembled and can be adjusted as needed.  Picture added with screw driver pointing to both set screw locations (blurry)

transmission.jpg

Detent Balls.jpg

Shifter Set Screws.jpg

Edited by Alan173
  • Like 2

Alan173

Finally had a chance to paint the rims today.  It was a long time getting there...and one of the last warm days of the season to spray outside.

Rim.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Alan173 said:

one of the last warm days of the season to spray outside

You'll see throughout the site here that my Trina has a few different monikers. 

One is The Paint Department.  

She does all our painting. 

She has a neat trick for cold weather.  

Keep the part to be painted and the can of paint in the warmth of the house. 

Grab both and go outside to spray. 

As soon as you're done take them right back in and hang the part to dry.  

She can do this down to about 20⁰ or so but has to be fast.   

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Alan173
On 10/5/2022 at 6:07 PM, ebinmaine said:

You'll see throughout the site here that my Trina has a few different monikers. 

One is The Paint Department.  

She does all our painting. 

She has a neat trick for cold weather.  

Keep the part to be painted and the can of paint in the warmth of the house. 

Grab both and go outside to spray. 

As soon as you're done take them right back in and hang the part to dry.  

She can do this down to about 20⁰ or so but has to be fast.   

Great tip.  For small parts I do the exact same thing...but for the larger parts I am limited by the weather.  The most important tip I need is where can I find a 'Trina' to paint my parts!  ;-)  I'm finally about done with painting and looking forward to some assembly work....

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Alan173 said:

most important tip I need is where can I find a 'Trina'

Very very difficult to find, they are.

They run somewhere around the quantity of hen's teeth that a Sasquatch would be holding while it was side saddle riding a unicorn who was traveling with its best friend the Pegasus and they were all on the way to pick up the winning lottery ticket. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jeff-C175
42 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Very very difficult to find, they are.

They run somewhere around the quantity of hen's teeth that a Sasquatch would be holding while it was side saddle riding a unicorn who was traveling with its best friend the Pegasus and they were all on the way to pick up the winning lottery ticket. 

Trina reads this and you're guaranteed!

• Like 2

Snoopy11
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

They run somewhere around the quantity of hen's teeth that a Sasquatch would be holding while it was side saddle riding a Wheel Horse who was traveling with its best friend the Pegasus and they were all on the way to pick up the winning lottery ticket.

There, Eric... I fixed it for you. :lol:

EDIT... fixed it again... I had it wrong the first time... :lol:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Haha 2