Alan173

Resto For My 1979 Wheel Horse B-111 Tractor

Alan173

More work on the hood:

567EC872-893D-4649-9A33-1D9F152D93BE.jpeg

9EC493D1-593E-4358-976E-07EAEFD70BB7.jpeg

• Excellent 8

Alan173

More random painted parts.  Nothing like watching paint dry….

E7ABED19-F8F6-4907-B4FB-94D32DEFEC79.jpeg

• Excellent 5

Alan173

So many fasteners…stripped and painted…

B86883C8-4715-45AA-97F2-5BACABD3C047.jpeg

• Excellent 7

Heatingman

That hood turned out really nice. You did really good work with straightening those dents. 

• Like 2

OoPEZoO

Very cool.  I was at my Aunt's house last month and she pointed me to behind her garage where she has the exact same model is sitting.  She bought it brand new in '79 and used it for years.  I have no idea how long its been sitting, but she said I could have it if I wanted it.  Supposedly it ran fine when it was parked there, as they had just bought a larger tractor and needed room in the garage.  I've been on the fence wether or not I wanted to go back and get it as it looked pretty rough and I've never been crazy about the vertical shafts......BUT, your post and pics are inspiring.  Can't wait to see how it looks when you are done.

IMG_2252.jpeg.d851835184f9630f177a9454da0b68cc.jpegIMG_2251.jpeg.b7cd326da5a1b08fdfeec84331d11ec7.jpeg

Edited by OoPEZoO
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Run… go… now… :handgestures-thumbupright:

My favorite four letter F word - FREE!!!

:twocents-twocents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Alan173

Here is my tag…1979 as well!  With the price of free…and all the parts there I would load it up!  Not the most collectible Wheel Horse…but a classic for sure and will give you many years of service…

3FC1F01C-1BA5-4B4B-9544-BE24E5870AC3.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Alan173

Oooops…silly me…here is the ‘restored version’… 😉

Much better…

28A643EC-3A37-4E93-A08C-BFC4DF5C9646.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Alan173

Finding out as many have for Rustoleum these days to 'fully cure' it takes about 3-4 weeks.  Fully cure for me means you can't indent the new paint with pressure from your fingernail.  I tried many different ways of spraying the individual parts - with two coats of primer....two coats of paint within the hour....no primer and three coats within the hour....let cure for a week then apply second coat....let cure in the sun at 85 degrees out....leave inside at 75 degrees and no sun...etc....etc....etc....the results all seem to be the same.  Rustoleum now takes about a month to fully cure.  I'm still sitting watching paint dry...... : - / 

Edited by Alan173
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Heatingman
4 hours ago, Alan173 said:

Finding out as many have for Rustoleum these days to 'fully cure' it takes about 3-4 weeks.  Fully cure for me means you can't indent the new paint with pressure from your fingernail.  I tried many different ways of spraying the individual parts - with two coats of primer....two coats of paint within the hour....no primer and three coats within the hour....let cure for a week then apply second coat....let cure in the sun at 85 degrees out....leave inside at 75 degrees and no sun...etc....etc....etc....the results all seem to be the same.  Rustoleum now takes about a month to fully cure.  I'm still sitting watching paint dry...... : - / 

Is this for rattle can, or from the jar oil based?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Alan173 said:

Rustoleum now takes about a month to fully cure.

We use the 2X. I'd stretch that to an honest 2 full months. 

1 hour ago, Heatingman said:

Rattle cans in my case. 

• Excellent 2

Jeff-C175
On 11/5/2020 at 9:53 PM, Alan173 said:

can't stand painted carbs...maybe it is just me...

Me too!  What did you use to 'de-paint' yours?

I thought I was the only one who knew what a planishing hammer was!  And you've got a whole set!

I'm gonna guess that you've done your share of 'metal shaping' ? (aka body work)

You need a 'slapper' too!

Beautiful work.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

Heatingman
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Rattle cans in my case. 

So I just did this finger nail test on the frame I painted Sunday. I cant leave an indentation in the paint pressing fairly hard. Yet, I have no doubt I will be able to chip it when Im not trying to during the assembly process.

That particular paint was Rustoleum smoke grey, and the primer was applied last week sometime, and Im using Rustoleum implement red oxide, which I went out of my way to find locally. 

Both from the jar.

for both I added a little Majic paints hardener, and Penetrol. 

I think the next project I will try an actual automotive paint, but an entry level one, for faster dry times unless price is totally out of control.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Alan173
On 9/13/2022 at 3:23 PM, Heatingman said:

Rattle cans for this restoration.  I could have sprayed with my compressor but there is a ‘surprise’ at the end of this restoration and I had to match it…and it was Regal Red Rustoleum…

• Like 1

Alan173
On 9/13/2022 at 4:47 PM, ebinmaine said:

Rattle cans in my case. 

How is the 2X for cure time?  But yes…I do agree 1 month is the bare minimum and this tractor unfortunately will not go into service this fall as planned…she is going to cure until next spring….

• Excellent 1

Alan173
On 9/13/2022 at 8:49 PM, Heatingman said:

So I just did this finger nail test on the frame I painted Sunday. I cant leave an indentation in the paint pressing fairly hard. Yet, I have no doubt I will be able to chip it when Im not trying to during the assembly process.

That particular paint was Rustoleum smoke grey, and the primer was applied last week sometime, and Im using Rustoleum implement red oxide, which I went out of my way to find locally. 

Both from the jar.

for both I added a little Majic paints hardener, and Penetrol. 

I think the next project I will try an actual automotive paint, but an entry level one, for faster dry times unless price is totally out of control.

There certainly is ‘no hurry’ in Rustoleum painted parts these days.  From many years painting in the past…I never remember this long of a duration for fully cured parts with Rustoleum.  Maybe it is memory loss from the fumes?  Guess I need to swap out the filters on my mask!

• Like 1

Alan173
On 9/13/2022 at 5:13 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

Me too!  What did you use to 'de-paint' yours?

I thought I was the only one who knew what a planishing hammer was!  And you've got a whole set!

I'm gonna guess that you've done your share of 'metal shaping' ? (aka body work)

You need a 'slapper' too!

Beautiful work.

Brake cleaner, brush and elbow grease…with all perishables removed.  We are ‘a funny breed’…or maybe for me and many I’ve just rebuilt too many engines…and I don’t think I would ever say “Hold on…before we paint the block let me bolt the carb in place!”.  Lol.  I just can’t do it.

And…I think I was using the slapper on the wife and kids earlier therefore it wasn’t in the picture!  Lol.  But yes…old habits…never perfect but there is pride in reshaping the metal a bit with the right tools for the job…old or new…they still work!  Set was from my father…I’ll make an excuse to use them ‘one more time’… ;-) 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Alan173

As I still wait for paint to dry a little work on the front rims.  The spindles look to be in excellent shape.  Dust caps/hubs kinda in bad shape.  Strip-repaint…new tires…and yes…wait forever for paint to dry.

EF791B24-B3F4-4067-9B1A-97F791A38CD4.jpeg

B0949662-FFA4-4C51-B436-477C9FBCEC20.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Alan173
On 9/8/2022 at 9:12 PM, Heatingman said:

That hood turned out really nice. You did really good work with straightening those dents. 

Thanks!  Never quite perfect but always better than what we started with.  You never think there are a lot of dents until you get working on something.  Then you always wonder…how come there are soooo many dents!  Well loved and used I guess…

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
14 minutes ago, Alan173 said:

…before we paint the block let me bolt the carb in place!”.

AND the coil !  grrrrrrr.....

• Haha 3

Alan173

For those of you who have done this job (tire removal of 43+ year old tires) and lived to tell your grandkids a serious ‘tip of the hat’ to you!  Wow!  Just braking the seal of probably 43 years of rust, dry rot and fix-a-flat which apparently in just the right combination is the strongest molecular bond known to humankind...nearly did me in.  I swear the rear tires are looking back at me and laughing.  Maybe there is a small machine at the local mower shop for this?  Any/all tips are appreciated.

E5BE0A2D-02DA-4A7C-9A0D-DBE3B0241582.jpeg

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Yup…

My solution? Two words: Discount Tire.

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine

A few years ago Trina bought a HF manual tire changer. I bolted it down to the shed floor right into the joists. Paid for itself the very first day because I had several tires to dismount for scrap.

Even with that manual tire changer there is no way around it. It's a LOT of work.

Old junk tires that I'm not trying to save have been known to get into arguments with a sawzall after I've broken the bead.

• Excellent 2

Alan173
7 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Yup…

My solution? Two words: Discount Tire.

Thank you for providing me quick sanity!  Jobs I learned today I never want to do again.  Take off old Wheel Horse tires…add that to shingle roof…pour concrete foundation…replace power steering rack…etc…etc…etc…😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2