ebinmaine

Inexpensive digital camera recommendations?

WHNJ701
31 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

So folks, let me toss up the question just a bit.

In particular for an Android user like Trina and I both are, is there a cell phone that could be bought without spending a zillion dollars that would get some decent magnification and not come out all grainy?

I don't actually know what the magnification is on her own phone but I think it's around 8x??

The problem is when you magnify more than about four or five it really doesn't deal well with it. 

I would just go talk to Verizon.  You can get a cheap LG phone or low end samsung.  We got one for the 12 yr old

• Like 1

bc.gold

Sony Corporation invented the CCD image processor used in the majority of digital cameras, other brands using this technology pay royalty to Sony.

So the bottom line does it matter which digital camera you purchase in a nut shell as far as images quality more mega pixels mean sharper images. My Sony A900 coming in at 25 mega pixels is a superb camera but the image files are in huge mega bytes some exceeding 100 mega bytes, making them useless for uploading onto a forum.

Fortunately some online image hosts while uploading strip out meta data and reduce the original image down to kilobytes. Another option is to screen shot the original image.

The nice thing of having a camera with plenty of mega pixels is that using an image editor you can select a smaller portion of interest then past it as a new image without any noticeable loss.

Also you can use those large maga files to enlarge and print directly onto a photo capable printer or print out a negative on clear acetate then print your picture onto photo paper in the darkroom or make a light tight exposure box where  the negative is placed onto doped photo paper for a process called contact printing. The exposure is done under a strong UV light or outdoors in bright sunlight.

My Samsung a more economical camera the biggest flaw is the screen on the rear is the view finder, if your standing with the sun at your back it's impossible to see your target.

If you can find an economically priced SLR this would be my choice, photography is like owning a wheel-horse you can never over kill on modifications.

Purchase a camera  that fits Trina's hand size ergonomically.

Later today I'll post an image printed onto paper using an HP Z3200 large format printer, just to show what mega pixels are worth to you.

Ed Kennell

These will be sold at tomorrows auction.    Usually bring ~$3 each.

102_2386.JPG.fc1aeb10692912c1bdd8b3c83923f357.JPG

• Like 2

bc.gold

Buying your gal the wrong camera would be like finding a lump of coal in her Christmas stocking, never second guess what a woman wants future proof your camera purchase/

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, bcgold said:

never second guess what a woman wants

I don't even "first guess"  what that woman wants. 

rmaynard
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

In particular for an Android user like Trina and I both are, is there a cell phone that could be bought without spending a zillion dollars that would get some decent magnification and not come out all grainy?

Anything even near 8X digital zoom is going to be grainy when enlarged. The only way to get high resolution, and long zoom without graininess is to use a telephoto lens. And as shown in the image below of a zoom lens made for cellphones, a tripod of some sort is going to be necessary to prevent blurriness from movement.

product-image-1141205462_300x300.jpg.e4ef01140c72e5c6ac22fc3892dfeb28.jpg

• Thanks 1

bc.gold

Since you folks spend so much time outdoors camping and hiking my money wold be on this Olympus the optic lens is made from glass and not an injection moulded plastic one.

Main Features

• The high-speed f/2.01 lens, new hi-speed back-lit CMOS image sensor, and the latest high-speed TruePic VIII image processor deliver high-quality images
  • The Field Sensor System2 adds tracking information to images for reliving the shooting experience
  • Reliable Tough performance: Waterproof down to depths of 15 m3, dustproof4, shockproof to 2.1 m5, crushproof to 100 kgf6, freezeproof down to -10 °C7, including new anti-fog8 capability
  • Movie shooting functions including 4K Movie and Full HD, 120 fps High-speed Movie9

The Tough series is a model equipped with the reliable Tough performance, waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof, aiming for worry-free shooting underwater, while mountain climbing, and in other harsh environments. The new Olympus Tough TG-5 includes the high-speed f/2.01 lens which was highly rated on previous models, along with the new hi-speed back-lit CMOS image sensor, and the latest high-speed TruePic VIII image processor which deliver images with higher quality than ever before. I

t is also equipped with the Field Sensor System2, which records tracking information, full-featured Tough performance including the new anti-fog8 feature, and movie shooting functions such as 4K Movie. The controls have been modified to make these new features even easier to use. This is the ultimate Tough camera for capturing high-quality images of split-second moments under tough shooting conditions.

spacer.png

This link a full hands on review.

Lee1977
On 11/2/2020 at 11:42 AM, lynnmor said:

I use a Samsung like this one.  I believe it has been replaced with another model.  Know that the digital zoom feature is nothing, if you will be editing the photos later, look for the most optical zoom that fits your budget.  Canon makes a good camera and the one listing for $259 would be on my short list with its 21X zoom.

I have one similar I bought 11years ago with a 5X zoom mine also has a very small HD movie recording. The lens is the same, with 14 Megapixels.. The battery in mine is discontinued by Samsung, I did manage to find one of there discontinued battery's a couple months back. That was the first battery replacement. It is a great little camera.

Edited by Lee1977

WHX??

BTW EB  package coming your way as soon as I hook up with the big brown truck driver. 

• Excellent 1

WHX??

He just left with it EB. 

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

He just left with it EB. 

You're the man Jim. I'm putting that right here in print so everybody can see it.

WHX??

Give it a good home. If you can't use it make some friends. Only thing with the Kodak is the batteries might be toast. They haven been charged in awhile but give it a shot anyway. You can use AA's in it but they don't last long. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
On 11/4/2020 at 2:19 PM, WHX24 said:

Give it a good home. If you can't use it make some friends. Only thing with the Kodak is the batteries might be toast. They haven been charged in awhile but give it a shot anyway. You can use AA's in it but they don't last long. 

Got us a box o' picture takers here today. 

Told Trina what/why it was here and that you sent it. 

She says. "Oh!". "Well tell him I said thank you!". 

She's already fiddling around with em and charging the batteries. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Good to hear you got them. Tell her she's welcome. Also tell her we expect to see some :text-coolphotos:

I know the  Samsung you can download an app on a dumb phone or pc for manageing pics. Believe it or not I picked it out of the dumpster at my shop but I know it works as should. The moron that threw it out could have at least donated it to Goodwill or whatever. That's what I was going to do with them. 

If I remember right the the Kodak takes pictures in a different file format but may be able to convert them??? 

Edited by WHX24

ebinmaine

More cool photos I bet will happen. She's already got one of them taking electricity and experimenting with the zoom. 

She was VERY impressed with it. 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I will offer two websites that may be of interest. The first is: https://cameradecision.com/   I like this site as it allows you to compare different brands and types of cameras. Most any camera from about 2010 to current is in their database.

The second is a company in Georgia that sells used camera equipment at about 1/2-3/4 cost of new. I have purchased from them five camera bodies and numerous lenses. I have even sold them my DSLR equipment when I went to Mirrorless cameras and have been very pleased. The equipment is rated on condition plus is guaranteed for 180 days.  https://www.keh.com/

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

For the extremely cheap thrifty  dagnab       skinflints among you, just buy a cellphone at kroger and never activate it. It takes pictures and plays music, I am told. my high tech nephew has an awesome music collection and he uses the never activated phone to take his music on camping trips in case it rains or the thing falls out of the boat.. 911 always works on any phone, activated or not.

i bought one for jobsite work for about $25.00. i should feel bad, but I am sure they made their money back from us buying groceries.

• Like 1

bc.gold

Bump.

• Like 1