Oldskool

Project "Snow Drift"

ebinmaine

You may very well find that what you end up with is okay because of the slipping that snow is likely to offer.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Does that come with lobstah and buttah?

Depends where you live as you well know. 

Out in you plow dogs neck of the woods it might be accompanied by lorbsterr and butterer

• Haha 1

wallfish
10 hours ago, Oldskool said:

I think the original top speed would be to fast for this build 

WHAT????

At least make it go fast enough so your @$$ bites a hole in the seat to help hold you on. My guess is if the spirals are right, that thing should have some pretty good control.

• Haha 2

Oldskool
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

WHAT????

At least make it go fast enough so your @$$ bites a hole in the seat to help hold you on. My guess is if the spirals are right, that thing should have some pretty good control.

Kinda like the Ripsaw EV2? Just not on tracks.

Oldskool

It may not look like it but I started cleaning the garage. It occured to me that once the YETI was done I would never get it out. It's not like I could just roll it out. So it was time to shovel a path

20201110_200050.jpg

• Like 2

8ntruck
1 hour ago, Oldskool said:

It may not look like it but I started cleaning the garage. It occured to me that once the YETI was done I would never get it out. It's not like I could just roll it out. So it was time to shovel a path

20201110_200050.jpg

What, you are not wanting to be like Leroy Jethro Gibbs building his boat in his basement?

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

What, you are not wanting to be like Leroy Jethro Gibbs building his boat in his basement?

I resemble that remark....

• Like 2

wallfish
8 hours ago, Oldskool said:

It's not like I could just roll it out

Hmmm,

Hydraulic lift used to lower and raise some casters?

A hydraulic motor to spin some acme screws or trailer jacks to raise and lower casters?

Small frame or frames with wheels which you can just screw the machine on and off of?

Jacking it up to put something under and taking it off seems like a real PITA so it won't get used if it's too much work to do that each time.

• Like 1

Oldskool
8 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

I have done something like that in the past

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
14 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Hmmm,

Hydraulic lift used to lower and raise some casters?

A hydraulic motor to spin some acme screws or trailer jacks to raise and lower casters?

Small frame or frames with wheels which you can just screw the machine on and off of?

Jacking it up to put something under and taking it off seems like a real PITA so it won't get used if it's too much work to do that each time.

I guess a couple of planks and some pieces of pipe would have worked too

• Like 1

wallfish

Did you just KISS me ? :handgestures-thumbupleft: LoL   (keep it simple stupid)

Pipe is good for going one direction back and forth but casters are cheap to add to the planks to move it any direction. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Did you just KISS me ? :handgestures-thumbupleft: LoL   (keep it simple stupid)

Pipe is good for going one direction back and forth but casters are cheap to add to the planks to move it any direction. :twocents-02cents:

Lmao I think It will have it's own spot in the doorway when done. So I dont think I will need the casters. 

Oldskool

Not getting much done on it this week but Sunday I will be hard after it again. Also having a hard time picking the sprockets to buy

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Not getting much done on it this week but Sunday I will be hard after it again. Also having a hard time picking the sprockets to buy

My inclination there would be to slow the machine down at top speed, there by increasing your acceleration.

If you discover that it has plenty of acceleration and you want to go faster you can change the sprockets later and still be able to drive it.

If you lean the other way it would be difficult to drive with a lack of acceleration if you don't have enough power. 

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I think It will have it's own spot in the doorway when done

Have you started laying out the plans for a 62-bay garage yet?

• Haha 2

Oldskool
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Have you started laying out the plans for a 62-bay garage yet?

Not wanting to get a building permit I may have to build 62 single tractor buildings

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Not wanting to get a building permit I may have to build 62 single tractor buildings

Just for the record I'm okay with this

• Haha 2

Oldskool
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

My inclination there would be to slow the machine down at top speed, there by increasing your acceleration.

If you discover that it has plenty of acceleration and you want to go faster you can change the sprockets later and still be able to drive it.

If you lean the other way it would be difficult to drive with a lack of acceleration if you don't have enough power. 

Actually I'm having trouble finding what I want to buy. I thought of maybe using go cart sprockets but to find the 2 sizes I want with corresponding hubs proves tougher then first thought. I was thinking  60 tooth on the screws and a 40 tooth on the drive units. All the 40 tooth sprockets seem to be aluminum and I cant seem to find the correct hub for them. 

Oldskool

Here is one sprocket. 

Screenshot_20201111-115215_Samsung Internet.jpg

ebinmaine

To get the engine pulley I wanted for the K582 Kohler Engine I had to go to a two-piece design. 

Have you tried Surplus Center or McMaster Carr?

• Like 1

Achto

Just wondering if you think that a #40 chain will be heavy enough? Those screws will take more to turn than a set of wheels. I personally would bump up to #50 to drive the screws.

• Like 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

To get the engine pulley I wanted for the K582 Kohler Engine I had to go to a two-piece design. 

Have you tried Surplus Center or McMaster Carr?

Where did you find yours?

Oldskool
20 minutes ago, Achto said:

Just wondering if you think that a #40 chain will be heavy enough? Those screws will take more to turn than a set of wheels. I personally would bump up to #50 to drive the screws.

Well I was wondering if that was big enough. I figure there will be a fair amount of torque. Is #50 more like dirt bike/ATV chain?

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Where did you find yours?

Eeesh...

It was either Surplus Center or flea Bay

ebinmaine

Hey what about checking with somebody in the logging industry??