Oldskool

Project "Snow Drift"

Oldskool

1 bearing hub. 1 more to go

20201106_183530.jpg

• Like 1

Oldskool

Who wants to do some math? What is the length of 1 single spiral on a cylinder that is approx 14.75" x 66". I came up with 80.5" but I question that very much.

ebinmaine

Oh boy. 

Not even sure how to figure that. 

Oldskool
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Oh boy. 

Not even sure how to figure that. 

I'm REALLY rusty on this type of math. I can remember in school wondering why anyone would ever need to know this stuff lol

• Haha 1

71_Bronco

My guess would be to look at it like a triangle. The circumference would be side a, tube length side b, and the "spiral" would be the hypotenuse.

Using that thought, I get 80.6".

However, don't forget that the outer edge of your spiral "lug" will be longer, as the diameter will be larger.

I may be totally wrong, but thats how I would break it down to simple math.

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
16 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

My guess would be to look at it like a triangle. The circumference would be side a, tube length side b, and the "spiral" would be the hypotenuse.

Using that thought, I get 80.6".

However, don't forget that the outer edge of your spiral "lug" will be longer, as the diameter will be larger.

I may be totally wrong, but thats how I would break it down to simple math.

I was close then. At the moment the measurement is merely to make sure I dont end up with alot of extra material as "waste". I believe the length is a bit fluid because I believe it may be a bit more then a 360 twist.

ebinmaine

How many of those are you putting on each side?

Oldskool
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

How many of those are you putting on each side?

Studying the pictures it looks like they used 6 on each side on the original design

• Like 1

71_Bronco
8 hours ago, Oldskool said:

I was close then. At the moment the measurement is merely to make sure I dont end up with alot of extra material as "waste". I believe the length is a bit fluid because I believe it may be a bit more then a 360 twist.

I forgot to mention that I was only doing one full twist. Obviously more rotations will require longer length.

• Like 1

71_Bronco

Not sure if this will be any help, but this guy "colin" builds some pretty wicked stuff in his shop, and he did a screw-style vehicle. May help with inspiration.

https://youtu.be/NASkgw9rufA

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
25 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

I forgot to mention that I was only doing one full twist. Obviously more rotations will require longer length.

The paddle on the tank does only make 1 full twist but at the ends it may make a bit more of a curve. At the moment I was going for a rough idea. The .material comes 20ft. I was just curious if I was getting 2 or 3 pieces out of that. Also the exact length of the tank has not been determined. 

ebinmaine

Disclaimer:

I may not be correct in this!

Seems to me you could adjust the length to some extent by straightening or bending the paddle a bit. Given that all paddles are the same length the only change would be a gain or loss in acceleration. 

Possibly traction???

Oldskool
45 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

Not sure if this will be any help, but this guy "colin" builds some pretty wicked stuff in his shop, and he did a screw-style vehicle. May help with inspiration.

https://youtu.be/NASkgw9rufA

I have watched some of his videos in the past. He does make some cool stuff. I just skimmed thru the videos for his build. I will definitely refer back to it for a few things

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Disclaimer:

I may not be correct in this!

Seems to me you could adjust the length to some extent by straightening or bending the paddle a bit. Given that all paddles are the same length the only change would be a gain or loss in acceleration. 

Possibly traction???

Quite right. Kind of the same difference between a fine thread bolt verses a coarse thread or an acme thread. Same amount of rotations = more or less travel

• Like 1

Oldskool

To nice of a day to be in the shop for to long. The honey-do list is still looming over my head. I did manage to get one shaft turn out. To finish this unit I still have to thread one end, make a spacer to compress the bearings and have 2 keyways cut. One on each end.

20201107_140440.jpg

20201107_140611.jpg

• Like 2

Oldskool

I've been meaning to ask this. How to I know when to re-up my membership. I dont want it to run out during this build and not be able to post pics.:o

8ntruck
22 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Who wants to do some math? What is the length of 1 single spiral on a cylinder that is approx 14.75" x 66". I came up with 80.5" but I question that very much.

I came up with 80.64".

The piece of steel to make the spiral is not going to be a straight piece - unless you can do some pretty fancy black smithing on it to bend it into a helix. 

The usual way to form shapes like this is to start with 'C' shaped sheet steel and drag them into helix when they are welded onto the tube.  You will probably need two rings that have an ID the same as the diameter of the tube and a width the same as the height of the helical fin on the tube.

• Excellent 2

nylyon
9 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I've been meaning to ask this. How to I know when to re-up my membership. I dont want it to run out during this build and not be able to post pics.:o

click on Store then Manage Purchases, or click here: https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/clients/purchases/

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
30 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I came up with 80.64".

The piece of steel to make the spiral is not going to be a straight piece - unless you can do some pretty fancy black smithing on it to bend it into a helix. 

The usual way to form shapes like this is to start with 'C' shaped sheet steel and drag them into helix when they are welded onto the tube.  You will probably need two rings that have an ID the same as the diameter of the tube and a width the same as the height of the helical fin on the tube.

I was thinking I would fire up the rose bud and bend it with heat. Heat,bend,hit with hammer,tack weld, repeat 

• Excellent 2

Oldskool
32 minutes ago, nylyon said:

click on Store then Manage Purchases, or click here: https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/clients/purchases/

Thanks for the link. Looks like I have till March. I can post all kinds of pics in the next few months YAY!!  lol

• Heart 1

8ntruck
47 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I was thinking I would fire up the rose bud and bend it with heat. Heat,bend,hit with hammer,tack weld, repeat 

I was thinking about that method as I wrote my last post.  How tall and thick are the helical fins going to be?  

You will need a good guide line on the tube for the first fin.  Once attached, that first fin can be a jig  to form the rest.  Might need two rosebuds to get enough of the straight stock up to forming temperature to make the bend.

• Like 2

Oldskool
5 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I was thinking about that method as I wrote my last post.  How tall and thick are the helical fins going to be?  

You will need a good guide line on the tube for the first fin.  Once attached, that first fin can be a jig  to form the rest.  Might need two rosebuds to get enough of the straight stock up to forming temperature to make the bend.

The fins may be 1-1/2 x 1/4 but still to be determined. Slow and steady I think is the key to installing them. I was thinking of running a temporary guide of 1/4 round stock to follow for the first one.

• Like 2

8ntruck
48 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

The fins may be 1-1/2 x 1/4 but still to be determined. Slow and steady I think is the key to installing them. I was thinking of running a temporary guide of 1/4 round stock to follow for the first one.

Sounds like you will be forming them maybe 2"at a time.

Oldskool
9 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Sounds like you will be forming them maybe 2"at a time.

I wish I could go to a smaller dimension but I think I would have issues with them bending during use

• Like 1

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I wish I could go to a smaller dimension but I think I would have issues with them bending during use

Agreed

• Like 1