Oldskool

Project "Snow Drift"

Oldskool
2 minutes ago, peter lena said:

OLDSKOOL , can't beat those flanged bearings , super strong , greaseable , and the price is good too. whenever I get the chance to upgrade a weak failed bearing , that's what I want to replace it with , pete

Ya you cant beat the price. The best thing about these is they are self-aligning and that's what I really needed in this application.

peter lena

good addition to your steering shaft , with a stronger mounting point . pete

Oldskool

A bit of grille work done and now mounted

20201103_141913.jpg

• Excellent 1

Oldskool

Next is hinging the hood and mount the running boards 

20201103_151338.jpg

Edited by Oldskool
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

A little bit more done on the Y.E.T.I. Slow but surely. 

20201103_192029.jpg

20201103_193003.jpg

20201103_194524.jpg

• Like 5

Pullstart

So, where’s the final drive coming into play?  

Food for thought... in this video @Achto’s McLean has a sweet “differential” by slipping the inside tire’s pulley (Two drive belts)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

Achto
10 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I do believe that a hydro drive from a Zero turn is going to turning the tubes

• Excellent 2

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, Achto said:

I do believe that a hydro drive from a Zero turn is going to turning the tubes

I s’pose that’s a bit easier!

• Like 2

Oldskool
23 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Food for thought... in this video @Achto’s McLean has a sweet “differential” by slipping the inside tire’s pulley (Two drive belts)

As @Achto said I will be using a dual hydro drive to run the tubes. Its easier. It's what I have on hand. It will be chain drive from the main drive units to the tubes.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

Achto

@Oldskool This very project has been on my to do list for a quite a few years. I'm looking forward to learning from your triumphs as well as mistakes on this project. 

• Like 2

Oldskool
Just now, Achto said:

@Oldskool This very project has been on my to do list for a quite a few years. I'm looking forward to learning from your triumphs as well as mistakes on this project. 

It has been on my list for quite some time as well. I'm hoping it's all triumphs, lol. Seeings how it has been on your list for a while you must have thought it thru once or twice. Feel free to interject at any point. A wrong move on this project could result in a lot of back tracking.

• Like 1

wallfish

One thing I thought about was the screw on the pontoons. Could they be made from cutting old tires? That way they could also be replaceable/adjustable and could probably run it on grass too.

All-Season tires of coarse. LoL

Have a deeper cut set of screws to bolt on and go fishing. Talk about all terrain

2 seater configuration on something like that would be fun

• Like 2

Oldskool
52 minutes ago, wallfish said:

One thing I thought about was the screw on the pontoons. Could they be made from cutting old tires? That way they could also be replaceable/adjustable and could probably run it on grass too.

All-Season tires of coarse. LoL

Have a deeper cut set of screws to bolt on and go fishing. Talk about all terrain

2 seater configuration on something like that would be fun

Very interesting thought on the rubber for other terrains I would definitely put some thought to that. Also I have been wondering all this time if this thing would actually float. But as far as a 2 seater goes this thing has gotten bigger then first thought to be as it is. Looks to be almost 5ft wide x 6ft long

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

far as a 2 seater goes this thing has gotten bigger then first thought to be as it is. Looks to be almost 5ft wide x 6ft long

'nuff room to mount a bench seat bub!!

• Like 1

Oldskool
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

'nuff room to mount a bench seat bub!!

But if I go wider I have to go higher to clear the tanks when they articulate

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Alright forget the bench. 2 old plastic cafeteria chairs side by each. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Oldskool
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Alright forget the bench. 2 old plastic cafeteria chairs side by each. 

I will make the wife a sulky of sorts if I must lol

• Haha 3

Oldskool

Just had a thought this morning. I had planned on military color and badging. I suppose in this case that would be white?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Just had a thought this morning. I had planned on military color and badging. I suppose in this case that would be white?

A friend and I were just talking about that the other day because she has a white GMC Yukon and was thinking about camo, winter style.

She mentioned that the base color is white and the rest of it has either stripes or blotches of black or dark dark gray but can also have several other colors mixed in.

The non-white areas are often stripes that make it zebra-like in appearance so folks change the shapes and width of the stripes and or add blotches to reduce that.

• Excellent 1

953 nut

How about Artic Camo?

Russia Gets New Missiles Designed for War in Arctic as U.S. Military Looks  North

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Oldskool

@953 nut @ebinmaine the winter/arctic camo is definitely a thought. This started as an older looking build. So now I'm torn between O.D green, dark gray, white or the arctic camo

ebinmaine

Definitely an understandable thought process. I get the OD green but what's your logic behind the gray?

Anybody have any idea roughly what year winter camo colors came into use by any of the armed forces?

Lee1977
15 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Very interesting thought on the rubber for other terrains I would definitely put some thought to that. Also I have been wondering all this time if this thing would actually float. But as far as a 2 seater goes this thing has gotten bigger then first thought to be as it is. Looks to be almost 5ft wide x 6ft long

I think you will want to keep it as light a possible. Extra weight will make those long screws harder to turn.

Oldskool
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I get the OD green but what's your logic behind the gray?

No logic on the gray. It was just a color I had first thought of painting it. Till the build progressed and I just cant let it go lol

Oldskool
3 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I think you will want to keep it as light a possible. Extra weight will make those long screws harder to turn.

It has a large footprint for sure. But right now, weight wise, it's not to heavy. Although I can see it creeping up to the weight of my GT14  stripped.