oliver2-44

Refrigerator Fan Motor Bearings Squeak Intermittently

oliver2-44

I have an LG refrigerator and the fan motor bearings squeak intermittently. The original motor looks like the one in the picture below.  It went to squeaking and I tried lubing it with lithium spray grease, then silicon spray. each time it would quiet for a few weeks then go back to making noise intermittently.  the "bearings in the pot metal housings were plastic.  So I replaced the motor.  The new one looks like the picture but the end pieces are solid plastic and the plastic is the bearing. (why make a pot metal housing to put a plastic bearing in, just make it one piece of plastic.  This new motor has the least amount of metal and copper needed to make a motor  After 6 months, this new motor is now squeaking intermittently like the original one.  I've cleaned the area of lint/dust several times to help keep the open bearings clean. Between this LG refrigerator and an LG drier drain pump, I won't buy any LG appliances for a long time.  I've called a couple of appliance repair places and as soon as I say LG they won't have anything to do with it.

I want to pull this new "plastic" motor out and lube it with something ?? or do something to quiet it down.  I've tested the fan shaft in place and the "plastic" bearing housings  are not worn excessive.  It drives my wife crazy, an ideas appreciated!    

@squonk ? Any other appliance guru's out there?

LG Motor(mech),cooling 4680JB1026H from AppliancePartsPros.com

The Tuul Crib

I didnt work on appliances but have installed several over the years and was not fond of LG either. Their dishwashers were junk. It's like everything else , the cars we drive and of course box store 

lawn mowers anything , they are 

designed to fail!

WHNJ701

The receptionist at work just went through a 6 month nightmare with an LG fridge which was still under warranty which they have terrible service.  I have heard nothing but horrible things about LG appliances.

• Like 1

squonk

That looks like an average  universal evap fan motor. This company may be able to supply one with at least metal ones.

https://www.rhsparts.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw59n8BRD2ARIsAAmgPmLefvG1KWsNU-JI1s4d41EdJXntbfzucYPT2xzfXMkcMh1-zKUaM4caAvu1EALw_wcB#

or if there is a Johnstone Supply near you. 

• Like 2

bc.gold

Bearings are oil lite bushings surround with a felt wick, a drop of machine oil like 3 in 1 will cure the problem.

ZXT

That has to be the most common motor ever produced. 

I've never seen one with plastic bushings. That seems to be planned to fail extremely quickly. 

Hey Mike, @squonk Do you see any reason he couldn't go down to HD or Lowes and buy the cheapest Broan exhaust fan and swap the end pieces/bearings onto his current motor? I know for a fact they aren't plastic. 

squonk

Depending on rotation it might work

• Like 1

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, bcgold said:

Bearings are oil lite bushings surround with a felt wick, a drop of machine oil like 3 in 1 will cure the problem.

@bcgold No oil lite bushings or felt wick in this new wonder, just plastic.

thanks @squonk I'll try one of those supply houses.

bc.gold
7 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

@bcgold No oil lite bushings or felt wick in this new wonder, just plastic.

thanks @squonk I'll try one of those supply houses.

Thank you for bringing me into the 21rst century.

peter lena

oliver , you could try  , " synthetic super lube "  , pocket applicator , small tube with pocket clip. still use it today, , pete