WVHillbilly520H

What killed the horses???

ebinmaine

Very nice. 

Thanks Jeff!

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks for tagging me Jeff! That was a neat story and I enjoyed the history lesson of the AC as well. I hope Kevin gets a chance to share that one with Mrs. P.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

When you tagged me in this topic Jeff, I figured you were tallying up the plow day carnage!   Have plenty of a list of things that killed my horses this weekend!

Cool readup!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Stepney

Those are a fun rig, having owned two Farmall Cubs, and a Massey Pony, I still do want to try out a Model B some day.. have run a few, never owned one.

There is some debate between the Cubs and the B model.. Cub hit the market in '47 but it's prototype predates the B.. common argument at our meetings haha. 

• Like 1

slim67

When I was a kid, my neighbor had two Bs, one with a sickle and one with a belly mower. He cut the sides of our roads with either and always cut his grass with the belly mower. He always parked them under some trees on a slight grade.One day my friend and I went thru the woods to the spot where he parked them in order to sit on them, we loved tractors. While sitting on one we accidentally put it in neutral or something like that and it rolled down into the woods. It wasn't far and the tractor didn't get damaged but it sure scared the hell out of us.I still love the sound of hearing those run.

3 hours ago, Stepney said:

Those are a fun rig, having owned two Farmall Cubs, and a Massey Pony, I still do want to try out a Model B some day.. have run a few, never owned one.

There is some debate between the Cubs and the B model.. Cub hit the market in '47 but it's prototype predates the B.. common argument at our meetings haha. 

The B is stronger than a Cub no? What are Cubs? 9hp? Another one of my neighbors had the yellow and white Cub and it seemed a little smaller than a B. I loved the sound of a Cub engine too. Another neighbor had a G next to his horse barn. Thinking back I lived in garden tractor heaven.

Edited by slim67
  • Like 1

Stepney
1 hour ago, slim67 said:

The B is stronger than a Cub no? What are Cubs? 9hp? Another one of my neighbors had the yellow and white Cub and it seemed a little smaller than a B. I loved the sound of a Cub engine too. Another neighbor had a G next to his horse barn. Thinking back I lived in garden tractor heaven.

Cubs were originally 9.25 horse up into the 60's, there was later a 15hp, and later still the 195 LoBoy was upped to 18.. still rather wimpy but plenty of torque. My 9 horse still does the job. 

Very very quiet running engines.. definitely smaller than a B and they have that offset build design. But they were solely a cultivating machine at heart and didn't need to be so large as the B. A B allis is more like a Farmall model A. 

The B was a 20 horse i think?

That Allis G had the same Continental N-62 11 horse the Massey Pony I had did.. very distinct sounding motor and not always in a good way haha. 

slim67
8 hours ago, Stepney said:

Cubs were originally 9.25 horse up into the 60's, there was later a 15hp, and later still the 195 LoBoy was upped to 18.. still rather wimpy but plenty of torque. My 9 horse still does the job. 

Very very quiet running engines.. definitely smaller than a B and they have that offset build design. But they were solely a cultivating machine at heart and didn't need to be so large as the B. A B allis is more like a Farmall model A. 

That Allis G had the same Continental N-62 11 horse the Massey Pony I had did.. very distinct sounding motor and not always in a good way haha. 

I would love to have a Cub someday. They have always been one of my favorite tractors. I also met  a guy the next city over that had a couple Gibsons if you remember them. They were Cub sized.

Stepney
10 hours ago, slim67 said:

I would love to have a Cub someday. They have always been one of my favorite tractors. I also met  a guy the next city over that had a couple Gibsons if you remember them. They were Cub sized.

Gibson was awful close to a Power King, a little shorter/narrower than a Cub but same wheels I think. Awful neat little rigs. 

slim67
45 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Gibson was awful close to a Power King, a little shorter/narrower than a Cub but same wheels I think. Awful neat little rigs. 

Yes I think that's accurate from what I remember. The owner claimed his Gibsons would output a Cub. It was 20 years ago when I saw them on his trailer. He was an older gentleman back then so Im curious of whatever happened to them. He lived in Oakwood,Ohio if anyone here knows him. I think he had other tractors too including a Cub. By the way ,were there lever steer models?

Stepney
46 minutes ago, slim67 said:

By the way ,were there lever steer models?

Gibson, Shaw DU-All, Speedex, and Power King all had lever steer models that looked roughly similar to a point.. pretty sure Shaw had a lever steer, they may be the one exception. 

Most of them used Model A gearboxes. Eric and I were just having an in depth talk about the hazards of a lever steer not long ago. But yes, there was a lever steer Gibson. 

• Like 1

slim67
1 hour ago, Stepney said:

Gibson, Shaw DU-All, Speedex, and Power King all had lever steer models that looked roughly similar to a point.. pretty sure Shaw had a lever steer, they may be the one exception. 

Most of them used Model A gearboxes. Eric and I were just having an in depth talk about the hazards of a lever steer not long ago. But yes, there was a lever steer Gibson. 

Good info thanks. I said before on here there is a farm not far down the road that has an Ottawa painted on the sign by the road. Of all the tractors out there, why an Ottawa? Makes me wonder if there's one in the barn? I think one of these days I am going to stop and inquire.

ebinmaine

Rough as my land is I decided to opt out of the lever steer set-up but Man are they cool....

• Like 1

slim67
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Rough as my land is I decided to opt out of the lever steer set-up but Man are they cool....

And simple. Maybe too simple.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

It's still VERY tempting but I have REALLY rough forest and it'll be a working tractor. 

slim67
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

It's still VERY tempting but I have REALLY rough forest and it'll be a working tractor. 

You better finish " colossus" or get a skidder!!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, slim67 said:

You better finish " colossus" or get a skidder!!

Should be good for next spring. 

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, slim67 said:

" colossus" or get a skidder!!

That's actually the one I was thinking of making a fire/aft lever steer. 

It would be super cool at shows but I need the machine to be practical. 

"Skidder"  right now is Cinnamon. Next year will be Colossus. 

slim67
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

That's actually the one I was thinking of making a fire/aft lever steer. 

It would be super cool at shows but I need the machine to be practical. 

"Skidder"  right now is Cinnamon. Next year will be Colossus. 

looking forward to seeing it

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, slim67 said:

looking forward to seeing it

Me too!!!

:auto-layrubber:

WVHillbilly520H
On 10/26/2020 at 9:31 PM, Stepney said:

https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/0/3-allis-chalmers-b.html