danweikert21

Plowing rig

danweikert21

Thanks so much guys I really appreciate it. I think I’ll try to get new turf saver tires with rubber chains. I’ll put on some wheel weights and fill the tires and I’ll see how it goes. But as for tonight I’m going to my buddy’s house to play tug of war. Hope I win. 

image.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

rjg854

Sounds like a plan, as you say, a good start. I use my implement handle and with the adjustment knob keep the plow just up off the surface I'm plowing. I don't like to rake the stone back into the driveway in the Spring. Since you're plowing asphalt it won't mark it up.

ebinmaine

Could use plow shoes too. 

rjg854

But then they would still mark up the blacktop/ concrete

• Like 1

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

But then they would still mark up the blacktop/ concrete

Could certainly leave a line. Yepp. Wouldn't be as bad as a plow edge but no guarantees it would be spotless. 

Maybe a hydro tractor would be easier?

Pullstart

That raider has a limited slip differential I believe.  Adding all that weight (I believe fluid filled weight is more improvement than the same amount of added weight due to pushing the tire contact path wider and flatter like airing down in the sand) and whatever traction adders will be even better if one tire isn’t always slipping!

richmondred01

I don’t personally like loaded tires.
I no longer have the 520-8 but I will use the same set up on the c160.

inner and outer wheel weights with the lug tires. I’ve had no issues with the set up. 

0AD8E286-DD4D-43A0-921F-DEA2F774F653.jpeg

5859F723-E443-404A-A828-0BEDB5CEFF40.jpeg

• Excellent 1

rjg854

How often do you get 12-16 inches of snow :ychain:

richmondred01
8 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

How often do you get 12-16 inches of snow :ychain:

once every 5 years maybe.

echris

Concerning steel tire chains, one mistake I used to always see people make was loose chains. They're nowhere near as effective and wear out much quicker.

When installing the chains, lower the rear tire pressure significantly (or just remove the valve), install the chains as tight as you can and reinflate the tires. Boom - chains won't budge! (*until you break a link and they slap your fender <_< )

NOTE: I do not know if this advice is good for rubber chains as I've never used or installed them!

• Like 1

rjg854

We usually get atleast one a month. With the way they're predicting this year maybe none, course I'll believe that when I see it :laughing-rolling:

BTW @richmondred01 that 16 is running great :bow-blue:

Edited by rjg854
Add
  • Like 1

echris

Hey @rjg854, I usually get one good blizzard a season here in Southern NY. Since I hope to have that Toro rebuilt in time, there will be no snow this year. At all. None.

So you'll probably only get 2-3 good storms. ;)

rjg854
23 minutes ago, echris said:

Hey @rjg854

So you'll probably only get 2-3 good storms. ;)

From your lips to GOD's ear

• Haha 1

danweikert21

Ended up dragging my buddy down the street tonight 🤙

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
6 hours ago, echris said:

Concerning steel tire chains, one mistake I used to always see people make was loose chains. They're nowhere near as effective and wear out much quicker.

When installing the chains, lower the rear tire pressure significantly (or just remove the valve), install the chains as tight as you can and reinflate the tires. Boom - chains won't budge! (*until you break a link and they slap your fender <_< )

NOTE: I do not know if this advice is good for rubber chains as I've never used or installed them!

It is impossible to get the rubber chains tight enough without reducing the pressure to near zero.  It is right there in the instructions.

• Like 2

bottjernat1

This is what i used this last winter. My late dads 67 Deere He never used it for plowing just to tow other garden tractors around. It will fire up no matter what it could be 30 below. Old faithful. I decided to retire it this year and use the Big D-160. 

• Like 1

danweikert21

Hey one more question how would I add wights to the front of my Riader 10. I know I could do the front wheels but i would rather mount them up front. If anyone has any tips that would be helpful thank you.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
19 hours ago, Herder said:

This is the push all of everything!!  Weights, chains and fluid filled tires.  Chains are not recommended for blacktop driveways. 

IMG_1485.JPG.1bd7bc82fa4e0bbabe118d2e5061cf85.JPGIMG_1482.JPG.9040ff0e33ada069b677d65cae111bf4.JPG

Adam what kind of weight do you have there? Homemade?

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, danweikert21 said:

Hey one more question how would I add wights to the front of my Riader 10. I know I could do the front wheels but i would rather mount them up front. If anyone has any tips that would be helpful thank you.  

Check out the top picture in the post I just quoted above this one. Looks like a steel box maybe?

Herder
41 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Adam what kind of weight do you have there? Homemade?

IMG_1358.JPG.d16c76b6c42ca9c532768e4eecb07853.JPG

This is a WH front plow weight.  Rather hard to find, I had to purchase a tractor in order to get this weight. Couldn't help myself.  :dunno:  

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Herder said:

IMG_1358.JPG.d16c76b6c42ca9c532768e4eecb07853.JPG

This is a WH front plow weight.  Rather hard to find, I had to purchase a tractor in order to get this weight. Couldn't help myself.  :dunno:  

No real rush but I need to make up a bracket or two so I can install some front weights in particular on Trina's Pig Pen tractor. ... But possibly others. 

Would you mind taking some rough measurements of that thing sometime?

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

No real rush but I need to make up a bracket or two so I can install some front weights in particular on Trina's Pig Pen tractor. ... But possibly others. 

Would you mind taking some rough measurements of that thing sometime?

Hope this helps...

client_PART_1533729686316_Screenshot_20170411-183438.jpg

• Thanks 2

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

helps

EXCELLENT

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
On 10/19/2020 at 3:17 PM, peter lena said:

hello dan, since you are going to be plowing paved driveways you might also consider putting a polyurethane blade edge on it , helping to eliminate metal scratching I  picked up one at my local cycle /atv shop for under 25$ ,   https://www.amazon.com/FallLine-Polyurethane-Snow-Plow-Edge/dp/B00S5JRZAG , just matched up the holes needed drilled them out , got some new carriage bolts , and elastic lick nuts /washers. it being urethane also helps in snow release , i also use a silicone blade spray for plowing ease. as you plow you will learn to over plow to have room  to put the next snow , just an idea , pete

What is elastic lick nuts ?

Ed Kennell

Lock nut