Frankenstein 58

RJ 58 or is it

rjg854

Thanks for becoming a part of our big happy family @Frankenstein 58 and supporting all us :wh: addicts

• Like 2

Frankenstein 58

I’m still curious as my RJ being a transition tractor from 1957 to 1958.  Someone referred to Clay that he might now. How about Clay what do you think on this. 

Frankenstein 58

Thanks for having me. I love these little RJs. Maybe a RJ35 when I finish this one. 

• Like 2

Red Headed Horse
1 hour ago, Achto said:

@Red Headed Horse, After you think you have the differences figured out between the early RJ's, the late RJ's and the Suburban's. Then we'll work on the differences between the '60 & '61 Suburban's. Then when you are pretty sure that you know all there is to know, some one here will teach you more things about them.:) This place is awesome like that.:handgestures-thumbupright:

Yes I have been there with my Bolens Ride a Matics variations over the years, I just love reading around the subject and I am learning fast on these WHs. Cheers to all who have replied to my post and apologies for high jacking the original posters post.

stevasaurus

Now that you are hooked, you might want to make it to the WHCC show next year in Ardntsville, Pa. the weekend after Father's Day.  Check out this link for show pictures...if you are looking for parts or more, this is the place.  :occasion-xmas:

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/163-whcc-club-shows/

• Like 1

slim67
5 hours ago, bottjernat1 said:

Here is original sales literature for the rj58 and 59. I have this in a double sided glass frame

20180420_213310.jpg

20180420_213327.jpg

I'm fortunate that my 59 came with manuals and the card with the tassel that I assume went on the steering wheel. What you have is even better.

• Like 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Achto said:

RJ's were '59 & older. Suburban's were '60-'61. '58 was the first year for a 3 speed transmission in an RJ, earlier models had a variable speed tranny. A big tell tale when you see them is that a RJ will have no added body lines in the hood, the top will be smooth. On a Suburban body lines were added to the top of the hood.  I suspect that this was done to help better support the gas tank, which is strapped to the under side of the hood. A Suburban will have multiple notches to control lift handle positions, a RJ does not have this feature. There are even more that I could list. If you can find a picture of each one and look them over side by side you will find a good amount of the changes.

:text-yeahthat:Front axle  will be heavier cast as well on a Suburban. 'Burb axle here... 

20160214_155149.jpg

• Like 2

Frankenstein 58

That sales literature is priceless. I would have it under glass also. Don’t know how my RJ thread turned into a suburban one tho. Lmao

• Haha 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Red Headed Horse said:

but what are the subtle differences between the RJs and Suburbans 400? It's a learning curve for me too. 

Blame it on Red Head for hijacking yer thread and get us yaking about vintage :wh: ! :lol:

• Like 2

Frankenstein 58

Lol it’s all good. 

• Like 1

WHX??

It is Franky... unless Pullstart or EB chime in then it get down right stupid! :lol:

• Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Frankenstein 58 said:

I’m a supporter lol. Thanks for the help

:eusa-clap:

Just wait until they send you the magic keys and teach you the secret handshakes...! :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Frankenstein 58

Can’t wait lol 

• Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
6 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

It is Franky... unless Pullstart or EB chime in then it get down right stupid! :lol:

@WHX24, @pullstart and @ebinmaine are three of the main :wh: magic key holders, but not sure about any of their secret handshakes... may want to social distance... :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

@WHX24, @pullstart and @ebinmaine are three of the main :wh: magic key holders, but not sure about any of their secret handshakes... may want to social distance... :ychain:

I'm not sure if the normal public can actually GET enough social distance from me....

• Haha 4

WHX??
19 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm not sure if the normal public can actually GET enough social distance from me....

I forgot about Sylvia... whadda I tell ya Franky...Let s get back on RJ's shall we? 

20170604_185420.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Frankenstein 58

What RJs. I’m thinking handshakes ,keys and suburbans now. 

• Haha 6

WHX??

Lol...Silvia forgot to mention the secret handshake involves a bird and the key is just to the door with a moon on it! :lol:

• Haha 3

Frankenstein 58

He who holds the key has access to the throne. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Frankenstein 58

Ok back to my 57 or 58 RJ lmao

• Haha 1

wallfish
18 minutes ago, Frankenstein 58 said:

Ok back to my 57 or 58 RJ lmao

The question was asked if the rear hubs are round but I didn't see an answer. Early rear hubs were round with only 3 lug holes which would coincide with the leather boot. Later they went to the 3 eared type common hubs

Frankenstein 58

I do not have the round hubs. 

AMC RULES

Sure I've read here in the past, posts regarding factory conversion kits that were available from the dealer to upgrade RJ-35's with the new & improved uni-drive rear end.

Might involve an exhaustive RS search, but I know this info is out there.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Frankenstein 58

Thanks I will give it a shot. I’m ready to dig into the trans this week. All that what year stuff will fall into place eventually 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Frankenstein 58 said:

What RJs. I’m thinking handshakes ,keys and suburbans now. 

Oh you'll fit in around this nuthouse just fine.....