Frankenstein 58

RJ 58 or is it

Jennifer
45 minutes ago, bottjernat1 said:

They are original then the used the triangle hubs. If you ever break one I have spares. My rj got gutted top to bottom. Mine has just a couple modifications. but I didn't do them the frame had the variable height added instead of fixing it I left it be. and the body shop that redid my hood forgot the 2 hole on the top to mount my hood so i left it smooth. I thing she looks better. I also have a rare hinged seat. it was an option but very rare. 

FB_IMG_1545609464199.jpg

FB_IMG_1545609481841.jpg

FB_IMG_1545610974779.jpg

FB_IMG_1545611307660.jpg

large.IMG_1588.JPG.9e89475aec03f743160bdc6e3167f93b.JPG

large.IMG_1594.JPG.d8979916104b4bc45269d0fbd9e66fff.JPG

We have one of those rare seat hinges yours is the 2nd we have ever seen.  Ours is on a 1960 550.  It’s still in Canada with the boarders closed.  Wes is keeping it safe and warm for us!

83A8F4BE-D0C1-4E3D-8724-C107C4660574.jpeg

FCA84960-5CF3-449E-B658-79C4F7DA89D8.jpeg

BEC417C4-BEFA-40D7-B6A6-A75AEDEB0510.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

Frankenstein 58

I’m no expert but I believe it’s a kohler k90. Yes I’m looking and if anyone knows of one. Thanks

• Like 2

bottjernat1

Agreed if your engine is legit i agree try to keep it and get it going! But im an originalist if at all possible. Here is mine a couple months ago I got it out to give my grand daughter a ride. Mine sits inside most of the time untill i am able to buy a house. Then i will work it. Check out my youtube channel I have a lot of videos and some on my rj and the wifes old rj. There is a link to my Youtube channel at the bottom left of this video. or look up Nathan Bottjer

• Like 2

bottjernat1
Just now, Frankenstein 58 said:

I’m no expert but I believe it’s a kohler k90. Yes I’m looking and if anyone knows of one. Thanks

Yep very good engine. There are plenty of folks on here with parts. Might also try Jake Kuhn he is on here and Facebook. I have bought stuff from him. Hes a good parts guy. There are vendors on here in our vendor section. 

vendors.JPG

Jennifer

I am still learning my self, but the solid frame tells me earlier then 58' or as has been said a transition model...but hopefully @VinsRJ can shed some light on this!  No matter is going to be a great little round hood!  

• Like 1

Frankenstein 58

With everyone’s help I’m trying to figure out what is and if this tractor is legit. I’m all into original. Trans first while I’m looking for engine parts. Beautiful tractor 

• Like 1

Achto
18 minutes ago, Frankenstein 58 said:

I’m no expert but I believe it’s a kohler k90

If it is a K90, then parts from a K91 will fit also. Both engines can be a little of hard to find but they are out there.

• Like 2

bottjernat1
13 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

I am still learning my self, but the solid frame tells me earlier then 58' or as has been said a transition model...but hopefully @VinsRJ can shed some light on this!  No matter is going to be a great little round hood!  

Oh snap! good eye I agree a transition model i bet. He may have red gold there! 

• Thanks 1

WHX??

:WRS:

I think Rob may be on to something with a transition model or something they put together quick with parts they had. 

Edited by WHX24
forgot to welcome

stevasaurus

See if there is a casting date on top of the transmission near the shifter.  3501 is the part number for the transmission housing not the casting date.  I guess the question is...did the factory use a 57 frame and a 58 transmission, or did a PO do it??  :occasion-xmas:  The early 58' transmissions did not have a casting date and therefore could be factory.  If there is a casting date, I would say a PO did it.  If it had the 57 transmission out of the factory, it would have lasted for some years...making it hard to find a #5003 transmission with out a casting date to replace the 57 trans.   BTW, that is a #5003 transmission and the linkage is correct for that trans...including the tension pulley being a flat pulley.  Here is another thread on re-building that transmission.

• Like 2

Frankenstein 58

Thanks for the link. No date on top of trans. Tractor was never painted  so you see the red seat with black wheels. You can also make out the last letters of the hood decal. AY for ride away. In addition welded rear hitch , leather shifter boot   This is definitely interesting to me anyway. Thanks for all the info 

5520BCDC-04A6-48F3-920B-A9D9C009EBA4.jpeg

• Like 2

Red Headed Horse

I am new to Wheel Horses but what are the subtle differences between the RJs and Suburbans 400? It's a learning curve for me too. 

• Like 1

Achto

RJ's were '59 & older. Suburban's were '60-'61. '58 was the first year for a 3 speed transmission in an RJ, earlier models had a variable speed tranny. A big tell tale when you see them is that a RJ will have no added body lines in the hood, the top will be smooth. On a Suburban body lines were added to the top of the hood.  I suspect that this was done to help better support the gas tank, which is strapped to the under side of the hood. A Suburban will have multiple notches to control lift handle positions, a RJ does not have this feature. There are even more that I could list. If you can find a picture of each one and look them over side by side you will find a good amount of the changes.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

stevasaurus

The difference between the 58 RJ's and the 400 & 401 Suburbans (talking transmissions here) is mainly the mounting plate for the brake band.  The #5003 RJ transmission has that plate at a vertical and the brake band attaches and goes around the bottom of the brake drum.  The #5010 Suburban transmission has that mounting plate  at a 45` and the brake band mounts over the top of the brake drum.

Other differences would be the #5003 trans has a flat tension pulley, and the #5010 trans has a "V" pulley.  The inside of the transmissions work the same with just a couple of upgrades.  The number of teeth between bull gears and the mushroom gear for instance.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Frankenstein 58

So much information here. I feel I’m going to be part of this family for some it. With that being said how do I become a supporter. I’m still learning my way around here 

• Like 3

Achto
5 minutes ago, Frankenstein 58 said:

With that being said how do I become a supporter.

Click on the Store ( Support RS ) in the gray bar at the top of the home page.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4

nylyon
5 minutes ago, Frankenstein 58 said:

So much information here. I feel I’m going to be part of this family for some it. With that being said how do I become a supporter. I’m still learning my way around here 

Thank you for your interest, 

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/category/1-redsquare-support/

• Like 6

stevasaurus

Excellent...at the top of the Main page is a band...select store supporter.  We do Pay Pal.  Thank You

Dang it Dan!!!  You are faster the my big manly fingers.  :teasing-neener:

• Haha 1

bottjernat1

Yep what the 2 guys above this comment said they hit the nail on the head! I learned the brake band thing because I had a Frankenstein tranny for a few years and had to ask a friend joe papke why in the world my tranny wasnt working like it should. He said well the brake band block was in the wrong spot and i had the wrong sized rear end pulley. instead of the square block the brake band mounts to being at an angle it goes up and down on an rj. Here is mine

IMG_20200918_170808500.jpg.6e927649ae7b32036d16db79a9933b80.jpg

Edited by bottjernat1
  • Like 1

Frankenstein 58

• Haha 1

Frankenstein 58

I’m a supporter lol. Thanks for the help

• Excellent 4

Achto

A big thank you for becoming a supporter @Frankenstein 58.Your name looks good in Red.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

bottjernat1

Here is the other brake setup we were all talking about on the later model. and your welcome from all of us for the help. ask away anytime!! And thanks for being a member!!

rj 60.jpg

Edited by bottjernat1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Now, you can post tons of pictures.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Achto

@Red Headed Horse, After you think you have the differences figured out between the early RJ's, the late RJ's and the Suburban's. Then we'll work on the differences between the '60 & '61 Suburban's. Then when you are pretty sure that you know all there is to know, some one here will teach you more things about them.:) This place is awesome like that.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2