"Manic-Mechanic"

1990 Toro GT Classic 312-8 Hood Stand

"Manic-Mechanic"

I thought I got a good deal on this 312 as it runs excellent! I never noticed the deck lift linkage flaw until I put on the power bagger....... The left bushing support was warped out of shape very badly, someone must have been lifting something extremely heavy or they don't make them like they used to? Long story short it had to come apart the hard way! I took a lot of pictures in case my photographic memory just deletes files, lol! The dampener was questionable but I did put it back. Made sure to run the tractor idle and sand off any excess paint on the inner pulleys. The steering rod had issues at the bushing as well, made the usual repair and reinforced it. I cut a groove for the grip ring and fixed the collar on the steering shaft, same as the older units. Some basic wire & circuitry repairs along the way, but she starts and runs beautifully!

hood stand bushing support.jpg

The metal around the bushing just crushed like tin foil!

old stand 1.JPG

The original removed in a couple hours, very strange assembly but at least not a hydro!

310-8 hood stand 2.JPG

The replacement has all the tin intact! Notice the lift assembly intact? Really didn't want to bend up the hood stand trying to remove the rock shaft.

IMG_5027.JPG

Looking into the tear down noticed the broken area around the steering rod bushing support. (Something about this tractor and supports?)

IMG_5054.JPG

The reinforcement after the repair, (I figured the area was engineered too thin to begin with)

IMG_5020.JPG

Orientation of the wires even tho' there are identifiers on the back of the gauges.

IMG_5022.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

The brake safety

IMG_5038.JPG

The clutch safety

stripped down mess.jpg

30-yrs of rot!

IMG_5035[1].JPG

Primed & painted with a poly clear coat

IMG_5048[1].JPG

All the innards.

hood stand 7.JPG

Coming together fairly well, had restored the frame beneath and all parts during the rebuild.

IMG_5086.JPG

The controversial dampener?

IMG_5087.JPG

Installed and adjusted.

Voila! 

A.JPG

Edited by oldman
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Lee1977

You should have reinforced the tabs that support the gas tank and the front of the seat pan. They are usually already broken. 

• Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Well, I looked at that as the old one was rotted out there. I still could, but it would have been super easy before the install!

Edited by oldman

Bill D

I use old bed frames to strengthen mine.  Bed frame must be 2"x 1 1/2" to work properly.  Bill

KIMG0784.JPG

KIMG0789.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
20 hours ago, Bill D said:

I use old bed frames to strengthen mine.  Bed frame must be 2"x 1 1/2" to work properly.  Bill

KIMG0784.JPG

KIMG0789.JPG

I see, it sits on there pretty good. I'm liking this idea! I see there is just enough clearance for the parking brake as well.

Edited by oldman

Lee1977

I just  used  1/8" x 1 1/2" steel  it is not even welded. Just laid it on top and the 1/4" shifter plate bolts and the fender bracket bolts hold it in place.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Thanks 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
3 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

I just  used  1/8" x 1 1/2" steel  it is not even welded. Just laid it on top and the 1/4" shifter plate bolts and the fender bracket bolts hold it in place.

I have the same thoughts on that, then I seen this 90°, I guess it'll boil down to what I have on hand.

Bill D

If there is a clearance issue with the parking brake, add a washer on the inside.  That should space it over enough to fix the issue.  Bill

• Thanks 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

On 10/22/2020 at 5:26 PM, Bill D said:

If there is a clearance issue with the parking brake, add a washer on the inside.  That should space it over enough to fix the issue.  Bill

Here is what I came up with combining several ideas into this. You can see the old hood stand and the severe rot. I dry fit the pieces and they extend all the way to the gas tank/fender support.

Edited by oldman
picture orientation

"Manic-Mechanic"

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Like 2

Bill D

I like it!

• Thanks 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
On 10/18/2020 at 9:35 AM, Lee1977 said:

You should have reinforced the tabs that support the gas tank and the front of the seat pan. They are usually already broken. 

That's what I ended up doing after-all.  I thank you all for the great input! I believe that my conclusion is a combining of all these engineering suggestions! Now I used flanged  1 x 20 bolts until the phillips come in.

Final.JPG

IMG_5112.JPG

Edited by oldman
photo orientation? text