formariz

The constantly evolving bench

oliver2-44

Isn't it amazing how many old ideas were so utilitarian, but so clever and useful forever. 

@formariz is the small metal piece on the vertical hinge pin some sort of position lock. How does it work? rod 

also I noticed your bench sits on concrete.  But you have a wood floor around the bench.  Is the wood floor there to help ease your feet for long days on them. 

6CA6B714-44D1-4497-9F62-DEF0B888CBCF.jpeg.b1b2e1ff6439106fa9fe29bbd74bdcb0.jpeg

formariz
1 hour ago, oliver2-44 said:

is the small metal piece on the vertical hinge pin some sort of position lock. How does it work? rod 

Yes it is a stop. I keep it up so it will not work and seat swings 180 degrees. When down it stops bracket from swinging past certain points. It has like three different options as where it will stop it. Odd looking but pretty clever.

1 hour ago, oliver2-44 said:

also I noticed your bench sits on concrete.  But you have a wood floor around the bench.  Is the wood floor there to help ease your feet for long days on them. 

Shop is a two car garage part of house. When I first moved here in 1983 I had to compromise with wife since she insisted that she had to put her car in garage. So with the exception of that area for one car the entire garage has oak flooring. I don't think car actually made it into garage more than six times that specific year. She got tired of it, so gradually I took the whole thing over. At the time I used another bench that I made here much smaller. A Scandinavian type cabinet makers bench which I quickly outgrew. When this bench was made this is the only area it fits in since its 13 feet long. Never did have time to complete flooring that is why it is sitting on concrete.It won't be for long now. I already got the modular floor squares with the plastic insulation underneath for it. I will have to jack up the bench one side each time and place flooring underneath

32D22B9D-FFDF-4256-BF32-9E276EAFDD28.jpeg.c857c5d4aecbe13ed940162560ef4279.jpeg 
17EC7C2E-A4CD-490D-A56D-6CEB2FF85239.jpeg.ffe42d6458c07096407f3222e68bf9b1.jpeg

DA85F865-07C0-4E1E-ADAD-CD3BF0B84958.jpeg.bab7a6ccbaec7e6849be80a9e8f4a8b7.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

Perfect application! Wonder why so rare? Seems like it would be an optional feature on work benches all over, or at least an add on... 

formariz
5 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Perfect application! Wonder why so rare? Seems like it would be an optional feature on work benches all over, or at least an add on... 

From my constant looking for them over the years it seems to me that even in their time they were not that common. One finds them sometimes attached to laboratory  and drafting tables. Places where when not in use, a regular chair or stool would just be in the way. Any piece of furniture today found with one or more attached commands anywhere from one to several thousand dollars depending on how many they have. I am sure that at the time they were not that expensive to add on but today due to their scarcity and the fact that they are labeled as " vintage industrial" their pricing is just ridiculous. Ordinarily this one with just the bracket and no seat would go on average anywhere from close to $200.00 to as much as $350.00. I found it by accident since it was really not listed 100% correctly. Asking price was $125.00 plus $30.00 shipping. Listing was within a few hours of ending with about 12 watchers. Made  seller an offer of $90.00 just for the heck of it and almost immediately was excepted. Really lucked out on it. He even refunded me $3.75 for the shipping the following day.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

Nice to see that it went to somebody who will use it as intended and appreciate it instead of somebody who would fill it for a fat profit.

formariz

Felt bad looking at these photos realizing I never "dressed" underneath of bench at this end so quickly remedied it re sawing some thin boards , planing a few beads and finally hiding the uglies.

EEA4ED2A-6730-4002-A262-3C201693F25F.jpeg.a80d2b359b94184473f90834a94952b5.jpeg

22A5DC16-94F2-4A3A-80A7-65B6C571E7BF.jpeg.54718aad36536898a48aaa2853e14807.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

echris

I suspect you and I would get along just fine.

"Crap, there's a nail hole showing. I can't believe I missed that!"
*rebuilds entire bench*

Seriously though, you're old world craftsmanship is something to be admired.

DennisThornton

Not all the time, but often enough to intrigue, are topics NOT Wheel Horse related but pretty DANG GOOD!  Stuff that is HARD to find on sites that are dedicated to that kind of STUFF.  Like this neat stuff!  On a Wheel Horse forum for goodness sake!  Very nice!

I wish WE were closer to physically visit with each other but thank goodness we can at least visit this way!

Thanks for sharing!