Kevinm

48 inch deck 520h

Kevinm

I picked up a virtually new 48 inch 416xt deck. I am looking for some old deck linkage brackets to swap out from the 416xt deck brackets. I know Toro has or had the old to new conversion adapter. I am figuring I can just swap out the 416 hardware and install the old deck hardware. I figured if you can swap the hardware to make an old deck work on a 416xt, it stands to reason that I can go the other way. If not I will just modify the 416 hardware. 

daveoman1966

The XT deck SHELL looks like any other 48" deck, with some different gage wheel brackets welded to it.  They can be cut off, if necessary and pitched as the gage wheels for typical 48" deck are not welded on.  I can provide most everything you'll need to make the coversion from model 78290 to 78368 ( 05-48MS01 or similar) models for your use on the 520 tractor.

Do you also need the rear axle for the two gage wheels?  ...or just the flat-steel brackets in the middle.

48 SD-11.jpg

C decks a.gif

XT series 78290.gif

Kevinm

This the deck I just purchased. There is a roller under the rear of the deck. The deck mounting hardware looks almost the same, so I am not sure what needs to be changes. The only difference I see is the third bar.

wheel horse deck.jpg

Bill D

Just for laughs, try hooking it up and see what works and what doesn't.  You might get lucky!

• Like 1

Bill D

Let us know if you try hooking it up, and what works or doesn't and why.  I am curious to know.

Kevinm
On 10/13/2020 at 10:37 AM, ekm said:

I will document what I did and share it with others. Good decks are getting scarce.  That's my project for tomorrow. The deck was too good to pass up, and right near my house.

daveoman1966

The INSIDE width of the front brackets that I've marked as "A" is 14 inches.  

The YOKE on that front connecting rod is 4.375 " on center from end of that same rod (tilted forward a bit).  

Here is YOUR pic...and mine of the front rod...

78290 A.jpg

rod 003.JPG

rod 002.JPG

rod 001.JPG

• Like 1

Kevinm

Thanks

Kevinm

I had to fabricate a new yoke piece. Mine in only about 3 inches from the end, and is out side the bracket. Welding it on the shaft tomorrow. I cut the "A" ears down to 3.75 inches to clear the front attachment bracket.. I also needed to flip the height bracket bolts, as they hit the tire. I have ag tires on mine. It looks like that's all the modifications I needed to make. The deck I found  is like new, no rust.

yoke.jpg

tractor with deck.jpg

daveoman1966

Looks GREAT...  my remaining comment...about that YOKE.  If it doesn't engage the little rod on the Mid Tach-o-Matic hitch, the deck will float back and forth... do you have it engaged as shown in these pics?  ps... Wish I could pre-fab stuff like you've done here.  I'm really good at making boat anchors, but that's about the peak of my welding skills.  

FORK.jpg

LEVEL (2)a.jpg

• Excellent 1

Kevinm

I plan to tack weld the  fork first to make sure it fits correctly. When the legs of the front mounting shaft are  flat on a table, the yoke is 24 degrees off the bench. I made the new yoke exactly the same as the old one, so it should fit. The mounting shaft is 3/4 inch diameter and the hitch rod is 1/2 inch in diameter. I could have just bought an old mounting shaft, but its more fun to  modify the old one. I have a  complete metal and welding setup, so  I can fabricate pretty much whatever I need. Thanks for the pictures.

peter lena

KEVINM, excellent save and transformation on that !  just looking at similar w/h parts I have swapped and made up what i wanted , my welding days are over , so I am envious of your  welding work / ability . if I could add anything to your work / fit detail , it would be to LUBRICATION DETAIL  , any and all movement / swing points . when properly set up , those decks should function with a smooth and easy function, good job , pete 

Kevinm

I just need to make up a spacer/bushing for the front mounting shaft. I need to find some thin tubing, split it,  and tack weld it with my tig welder. Right now there is a little slop with the bar and the hitch mount plate. The Yoke on the 416 is slightly different, and I had to make the one I fabricated a little deeper for the  front mounting shaft to fit into the hitch plate, and engage the hitch rod. Just a little fitting with a small drum sander on my dremel to get a good fit.  I just cleaned the blades, and you can tell they were never used.  This deck was  a real find. 

Kevinm

I finished the modifications to the deck lift assembly. I needed to move the shaft yoke inboard on the hitch bar.  I have a photo above. Its now about 4.25 inches inside the hitch bracket. I also cut  down the front mounting brackets. I probably should have left them a little higher than the 3.75 inches. I am going to add a little tab below the draft bar where it meets the bracket, to keep it in alignment.  If you cut the  front brackets a little high you will not have to add any tabs. At  3.75 inches it makes it easier for me to slide the deck in place to avoid  the attach-o- matic tabs. Other than that it worked perfect. The deck is a 78290, that is 48 inches wide. These decks might be in a little better shape than the originals, if you can find one. If you do not weld, just pick up a used hitch bar from an older model or use the one from you old deck. The rest is just cutting with a hack saw.

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg