echris

If it's stupid and it works, is it still stupid?

Pullstart

Well did!

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

To answer your question - No. :naughty:

Most brilliant ideas and / or the people that had them were called “stupid” or some variation on the theme... then after it worked they were “geniuses”...

Great idea and excellent thinking... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Maybe just keep it... use it when you need it, fold it up for next time... :twocents-02cents:

Rims look great too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

echris

Funny part is, about 90% of it took about 30 minutes to make. The plexi window was already the right size, the cardboard box was already the right size. And everything else just fell into place.

UNTIL.

I really started stressing my cheapo 125PSI 30gal Craftsman oil less compressor. And she started spitting water.

I have one outlet in my shop with a dryer and I wasn't using it.

After getting pissed off enough and having to clean the nozzle repeatedly of wet sand, I finally climbed over the pile with a spare hose and connected to the dryer line, blew out the line until it was dry and guess what, everything worked fine from then on. :roll:

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz

To start with it is not stupid. It is outright clever and resourceful. Anyone can run to the store and buy a new tool to perform a certain task. It is the individuals that have imagination and are resourceful using what they have or making those tools themselves that always earn my respect and admiration. That is what using ones mind is all about.One of the most clever things I have seen anyone do in a long time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine

I'm sayin that's a right absolute slick idea there.  

Stupid?

Nope. 

I drive for a living. I see stupid every day. 

What you pulled off is straight up unconventional brilliant. 

I would'na thought of it. I would'na tried it. And I'm impressed you done it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

DennisThornton

A talented friend once showed me that wood is a marvelous media for steel prototypes!  Others have since shown me that cardboard, where suitable, is even better!

Great job!  On the wheels I mean, the blaster cabinet will never have a market! (Kidding!  Well, teasing.  I don't think you could market the cabinet but who knows?

Don't forget to metal prep your wheels!  And use a good primer right after!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ZXT

I like to call things like that "redneck ingenuity"! Many might think that term comes across as negative, but not in my book. Being resourceful and working with that you have is what people have been doing since the caveman days. If you think of something, make it, and it functions as intended, it certainly isn't stupid. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

echris
17 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

A talented friend once showed me that wood is a marvelous media for steel prototypes!  Others have since shown me that cardboard, where suitable, is even better!

Great job!  On the wheels I mean, the blaster cabinet will never have a market! (Kidding!  Well, teasing.  I don't think you could market the cabinet but who knows?

Don't forget to metal prep your wheels!  And use a good primer right after!

Whaddya mean no market? Are you crazy? I bet I can get Home Cheapo to sell (my cost - $.35 - accounting for design, mass marketing, used cardboard, duct tape and scrap plexi) for at least $139.95.

And this product is right up their alley. It'll work for about 1 day. I can attest to this.

• Haha 3

DennisThornton

Well, you might be right...  But finish your wheels first.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 2

echris

I'm on the fence about:
Mounting the tires first and paint the wheels after (before seating the beads)
Painting the wheels first and touch up after.

No matter what, it's a screwdriver and prybar operation for me, so wheel paint damage will occur.
I'm leaning towards let the primer cure a few more days (on top of my furnace), paint the inside of the wheel, let it cure and install the tires and paint with appropriate cereal boxes masking the tire.

I'm not in a rush on this project. Should we have an early snow I have another old machine ready to go. :cool:

DennisThornton

I'd have agree.  No matter what I would do I'd scuff them up installing the tires, which should perhaps suggest that you don't listen to me but perhaps both of us can shout out to others that know better.  (Though for now I do think I'd do just what you suggest.  I'll share something I saw here first, perhaps try a deck of cards or similar to mask the tires.  I've perhaps stretched a mile or two of tape but it has some issues that the cards might overcome.  Just shove the cards between the tire and wheel and overlap the next.  I think AMC Rules (Craig) did that and posted a photo.  Then again I'm getting old and it's past my bedtime...

Hey everyone!  How to install tires without damaging the painted wheels?

Interesting that we'd have this conversion tonight when tomorrow morning I'm heading south to buy a set of front tires::

image.png.c2bf29507081a57ab244c7123f936acc.png

• Like 1

echris
41 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Interesting that we'd have this conversion tonight when tomorrow morning I'm heading south to buy a set of front tires::

Yeah, um, that's all fine and well and good, But just don't scratch the paint.

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

If you're really not in a rush paint them today in and out. 

Wait a month. 

Stop thinking about touching the wheels. 

Wait some more. 

After 5 or 6 weeks on the heater they'll be mostly cured but you'll still nick em up a little. 

Warm the tires..

Mount them.

Use the playing cards trick to mask off and touch up the scratches. 

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

How to install tires without damaging the painted wheels?

I have cut the fingers off of some old leather gloves and slip them on the ends of my tire irons to protect the paint, works fine.

1305803062_102_3445(1).JPG.2b03a397892480c8d0da351c226bc0f3.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

DennisThornton
24 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I have cut the fingers off of some old leather gloves and slip them on the ends of my tire irons to protect the paint, works fine.

1305803062_102_3445(1).JPG.2b03a397892480c8d0da351c226bc0f3.JPG

Now that you've posted that it looks familiar!  Perhaps you reposted?

AND, I should have noted that there are some nonmar tire tools.  I don't have any but remember seeing them online.  Wait a minute...

image.png.98007187b1664a1847dfdfa0e83379fa.png

image.png.05b020c74279d07dfcda9f0a2ab788d2.png

But it seems that your idea is MUCH cheaper!  Now if I can only remember that when the time comes...

• Like 1

oliver2-44
15 hours ago, echris said:

. So now I can break down the cardboard, lay it flat and have a decent template for a real blasting cabinet. :lol:

Heres a cabinet I build several years ago. its large enough to get a hood or 42" mower deck in.  Overall it works great.  the one thing I would change is the bottom hopper walls are not at a steep enough angle for the all the media to drop back to the bottom.  i have a rubber mallet that I smack the hopper with ever so often.  If you decide to build one, there are several threads on hear with good ideas.

• Thanks 1

echris
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

If you're really not in a rush paint them today in and out. 

Wait a month. 

Stop thinking about touching the wheels. 

Wait some more. 

After 5 or 6 weeks on the heater they'll be mostly cured but you'll still nick em up a little. 

Warm the tires..

Mount them.

Use the playing cards trick to mask off and touch up the scratches. 

This is kinda my plan. The inside of the wheels were really bad, so they definitely need a good coating so they'll survive. I'm going to give them a full spray and set them on top of my furnace. It's a 1954 American Standard oil fired hot water furnace. The old girl get nice and toasty on top.

• Like 1

echris
4 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Heres a cabinet I build several years ago. its large enough to get a hood or 42" mower deck in.  Overall it works great.  the one thing I would change is the bottom hopper walls are not at a steep enough angle for the all the media to drop back to the bottom.  i have a rubber mallet that I smack the hopper with ever so often.  If you decide to build one, there are several threads on hear with good ideas.

Very nice cabinet!

That foot switch is a thing of beauty. My left hand is still sore from holding down the freakin' trigger for hours yesterday.

elcamino/wheelhorse
19 hours ago, echris said:

Whaddya mean no market? Are you crazy? I bet I can get Home Cheapo to sell (my cost - $.35 - accounting for design, mass marketing, used cardboard, duct tape and scrap plexi) for at least $139.95.

And this product is right up their alley. It'll work for about 1 day. I can attest to this.

The problem is Covid 19 , the factories are not working at full capacity. Everything  I try to buy is on back order . It would take 6 months to a year before your cabinet could be produced. Recently I went to purchase a pair of RED WING boots. Style I wanted no longer made. Found a pair I liked , sorry sir that model is on  back order . Just order my boots please.  Factory states they should be ready by end of this year or end of January. Ok here is my gift card as down payment . Sorry computer has problem and we can't use gift card as payment ,. Not sure when it will be fixed , you know Covid 19.

• Sad 2

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Not sure.... Blah blah blah blah blah

:bitch:

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I got my new tri-ribs today so I'd appreciate it if you guys would figure out to mount them without damaging the paint! :rolleyes:

And @echrisis your blasting cabinet mailable?  I left mine in Ohio years ago and have never replaced it.  (Was too heavy to mail...)

• Like 2

echris
Just now, DennisThornton said:

I got my new tri-ribs today so I'd appreciate it if you guys would figure out to mount them without damaging the paint! :rolleyes:

And @echrisis your blasting cabinet mailable?  I left mine in Ohio years ago and have never replaced it.  (Was too heavy to mail...)

I assume since it's just a box I could slap a label on it and send it your way. The UPS guy will probably think it came from the beach with all the sand dripping out of it.

• Haha 1

DennisThornton

Great!

(Sooo, very soon I'll have the only prototype!  Actually a proven first run!  Production!  Worldwide Sales!  $$$!  More Tractors!  Oh!  And rust free wheels for my new tri-ribs!)

Maybe I wore my mask too long today...

• Haha 3