pfrederi

Again with the mice!!!

Jeff-C175
9 minutes ago, wallfish said:

sprinkle bird feed sunflower seeds

Good idea!  How long do they continue to float?

Ed Kennell
8 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

foxes love mice. 

And chickens.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

chickens

Ain't that the truth!  Neighbor has lost quite a few to the fox this year.  I saw a RACOON eating one too.  Don't know if the coon killed it or the fox, but fox usually don't leave stuff, they take it with them.

I can tell you that those fox kits are being well fed!

Edited by Jeff-C175

wallfish
1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Good idea!  How long do they continue to float?

They're typically still floating when the bucket is emptied after a few days. Some will sink at a quicker rate but just another little sprinkle to fill the void

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

typically still floating when the bucket is emptied after a few days

Gonna give that a try then... thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

We do the 5 gallon bucket trap but just sprinkle bird feed sunflower seeds to cover the water surface. It appears solid to them like the bucket 1/2 full of seed so they just hop right in. No spinning devices or trap doors or anything but a ramp. Works great for mice and chipmunks.

Weez gonna try that one.....

Pullstart

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

you want to KILL MICE NOT FEED THEM , use a tooth pick to lightly fill a few holes on the mouse trap bait pads , with peanut butter , when they have to work to get at the tiny amount , that gets them , pete 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JimmyJam

An old-timer small engine repair guy once told me how to deter mice from entering engine and body tin crevices'. He told me go to a dollar store and buy cheap smelling woman's perfume. Mist the perfume around the machinery prior to storage. (he said moth balls don't really work as a mouse deterrent). The odor will burn off once you run the machinery. I been doing this for a few years. Mice run around my shed but at least they don't nest in my tractors nor chew wires.

• Like 4

Jeff-C175

One year I had mice in every single one of the air cleaners on my equipment.  I had to screen the openings with mesh.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

An old-timer small engine repair guy once told me how to deter mice from entering engine and body tin crevices'. He told me go to a dollar store and buy cheap smelling woman's perfume. Mist the perfume around the machinery prior to storage. (he said moth balls don't really work as a mouse deterrent). The odor will burn off once you run the machinery. I been doing this for a few years. Mice run around my shed but at least they don't nest in my tractors nor chew wires.

Jimmy when you're at the perfume counter picking up supplies and there's a woman next to you purchasing the exact same scent do you tell her what you use it for ?

:ROTF:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

tell her what you use it for ?

She might just say,  " ME TOO! " :wacko:

• Haha 4

Tach-a-matic

I tried spraying Fluid Film on a snowblower engine and chassis bottom pan they were once nesting in and it deterred them . I dont think they like walking in the stuff (or maybe its the smell of it, or both) 

• Like 4

Pullstart

Second night of peanut butter snap traps.  9 in 8 traps last night (had a double header) and 3 already tonight!

• Like 5

ebinmaine

Very niiiice

• Thanks 1

rjg854
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

Second night of peanut butter snap traps.  9 in 8 traps last night (had a double header) and 3 already tonight!

Impressive :laughing-rolling:

• Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

Intruder makes the best most sensitive  trap to catch the very small mice that seem to be able to steal bait or trip traps without getting caught. Also the very wise mice that lick peanut butter so as to not trip traps.My new killer bait is Nutella. mice like chocolate and also whatever nut flavor and the stuff has a pretty strong smell.. These are usa made .Chain hardware stores like Ace have them

https://www.intruderinc.com/collections/better-pest-control-solutions/products/the-better-mousetrap  

Once in a while, I have to add a bit of weight like a taped on penny on the rocking mechanism , but the company actually has instructions how to reset the spring tension. the best part about them is they do not break the skin and therefore no blood that makes the next victim trap shy. I have tried many kinds , having a house with a stone foundation.

Gonna try that bucket of death thing in the barn.

I noticed years ago that the old style Victors would work pretty well on the first mouse or two and then not good . I read about the mice fearing blood from other mice, but who knows for sure. internet  is often a supposition of opinion that is then passed on as truth.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

Pullstart
14 hours ago, pullstart said:

Make that 4 last night...  It’s good to see production numbers dropping already!

• Like 4

Pullstart
23 hours ago, pullstart said:

Make that 4 last night...  It’s good to see production numbers dropping already!

0 mice trapped last night!  I hope with the combination of brute force with garden tools and the traps, I’ve decimated the population near the coop!  I’ll watch the traps for a couple days, then try moving them around the property to random vehicles and garage spaces.  

• Like 3

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, pullstart said:

0 mice trapped last night!  I hope with the combination of brute force with garden tools and the traps, I’ve decimated the population near the coop!  I’ll watch the traps for a couple days, then try moving them around the property to random vehicles and garage spaces.  

Good plan

rick

Blood on the trap doesn't bother the mice around here.  In fact one morning I found a mostly eaten mouse in a trap in a car.  I used that trap and added another trap and caught a mouse in each trap. 

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, rick said:

Blood on the trap doesn't bother the mice around here. 

Yeah same here. 

Fickle creatures about what food/bait or Where the trap is placed though. 

Pullstart

One more mouse caught, I am getting the stragglers must be.  Woo hoo, no crap in the chicken food though!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

We've taken at least 4 out of the workshop shed in a week. Nothing from the Horse stable though. I know they're around there because I've removed partial nests from the Cinnamon Horse C160 twice. 

• Sad 2

Maxwell-8

When i was like 12, i wanted to catch a bird, so i set up a trap with some bread. The trap could fit an pigeon. Next day, i went take a look, the biggest rat i had ever seen up until this day was in that trap. The complete trap was filled with that rat and she was an aggressive on too.

• Haha 3