pfrederi

Again with the mice!!!

pfrederi

Went to move this C-175 an noticed grass.  This is the second time on this tractor. Couple years ago bigger nest and the mouse used the dryer sheets I had put out a repellent as part of the nest.  They got wrapped around the bendix and jammed everything up.  Dryer sheets are tough.  Didn't try to crank it the time.  Towed her into shop.  The real pain is that there are 12 bolts to remove the shroud.  Off not to bad, getting them lined up and not cross threading them putting it back not so easy....

IMG_0116.JPG

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

ebinmaine

It's time to set up the Bucket Of Death. 

@pullstart could give you good instructions

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

This is what I did Paul.  I could have spent some time making a flap instead of a hole, some of the mice seem to be able to tell there’s no end in sight and back out before being trapped.

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH
27 minutes ago, pullstart said:

This is what I did Paul.  I could have spent some time making a flap instead of a hole, some of the mice seem to be able to tell there’s no end in sight and back out before being trapped.

So, how about an update on how effective they have been in carrying out the intended task?

You happy with them?

Doing a good job?

• Like 2

roadapples

So glad I have a steel building with a concrete floor now....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Stormin
28 minutes ago, roadapples said:

So glad I have a steel building with a concrete floor now....

If you can get your finger in a hole, a mouse will get through it. Don't want to worry you though. :whistle:

Ed Kennell

Recycle those little rodents.....turn em into feline food.See the source image

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

peter lena

ED , I like the idea of recycling rodents, when ever I get one, I put it out side  near the fencing or shed ramps , once the hawks catch on and if you are lucky an owl , they have really cut down on mice, pete 

• Like 3

pfrederi
37 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Recycle those little rodents.....turn em into feline food.See the source image

We have two cats...but they are house kitties. The other half won't let me take them to the barn

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

We have two cats...but they are house kitties. The other half won't let me take them to the barn

Do you have an organization that adopts out Barn cats?

SylvanLakeWH
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Do you have an organization that adopts out Barn cats?

Wish you were closer...

I'd "provide" you with a steady supply of feral (and maybe the occasional non-feral) cats... :ph34r:

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Wish you were closer...

I'd "provide" you with a steady supply of feral (and maybe the occasional non-feral) cats... :ph34r:

I don't think you're supposed to mail cats...

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, jabelman said:

This dude averages 1 or 2 mice day,  we worked out a deal, no mice in sheds and he gets to relax on the couch

IMG_20200930_211618.jpg

That sounds fair

SylvanLakeWH
45 minutes ago, jabelman said:

This dude averages 1 or 2 mice day,  we worked out a deal, no mice in sheds and he gets to relax on the couch

IMG_20200930_211618.jpg

See if he will increase productivity if you give him a belly rub... maybe some catnip too... :thumbs:

• Like 2

CCW
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

IMG_20200930_211618.jpg

I'm willing to bet kitty doesn't give a rats patootie for your deal.  Will be on the couch no matter what you say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Terry M

image.jpg

• Like 1

8ntruck

I ran across a $170 bat today.

The furnace was not cycling this morning.  I went into the basement and made sure the safety switch on the filter access panel was made, and hit the reset button on the burner control.  Nothing happened.  Then I noticed the breaker on the burner motor was tripped.  Reset it and hit the reset on the burner control again.  The blower started, but no fire, but was an odd rattle as the burner blower came to a stop.

Called the furnace service guy - try to get here later today or tomorrow morning. Tired the reset button again on the burner control.  Blower starts, burner lights, black smoke comes out of the burner box inspection door for 20 or 30 seconds.

Service guy gets here, listens to the story, and gets worried 'cause he does not have a spare burner assembly on his truck.  "Hope it is something stupid" he says.  Opens the burner and pulls out a very dead and very sooty bat. That explained the odd rattle in the blower.  We decided to do the yearly tune up since he was here.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 8

ebinmaine
44 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

very dead

Are there different levels of dead?

Kinda dead. 

Regular dead. 

Very dead. 

Wicked dead. 

:lol:

Glad to hear you got that worked out. 

• Haha 4

roadapples
4 hours ago, Stormin said:

If you can get your finger in a hole, a mouse will get through it. Don't want to worry you though. :whistle:

When I built this building I did it with mice and snakes in mind. Barely a crack big enough for a pi$$ ant to get through....

• Haha 6

WheelhorseBob

Wicked dead only happens in Maine....

I'm not a cat person, really don't care for them. Got me an Irish Jack Russel that will kill any rodent that walks! Unlike a cat, she makes short work of them, a violent head shake and on to the next!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, WheelhorseBob said:

Wicked dead only happens in Maine

Happens in Western Massachusetts too. Slightly different accent but same basic effect. 

lynnmor

I would say brain dead, but we are not to discuss politics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

rmaynard

So far I've only had one critter in my new pole building and that was a chipmunk. I saw him run in when I was getting ready to close the overhead door. Never saw him run out again. So he is either dead, or he got out. Don't smell anything, so I guess he escaped. Rodents were a concern when I built the building, so all openings were filled with expanding foam, and the seal on the bottom of the overhead door extends beyond the width of the opening. The concrete floor seals the perimeter. I had my grandson shine a flashlight from the inside at night to make sure no light was visible at any location where there was a possibility of entry. 

• Like 3

tom2p

I've seen mice go under a shut garage door - a garage door with a good bottom rubber seal over a good concrete surface 

also seen mice crawl up the side of a brick exterior wall and go through a tiny mortar joint into the above overhang

• Like 2