Lefty 57

Hello from Oxfordshire

Jase675

Welcome, Lefty57!!

Not sure I'm actually qualified or authorised to officially welcome you as I joined only a few days ago myself!! But I'm now no longer the UK newest newbie, thanks!

I'm in Aylesbury, Bucks. Used to live in Oxon.

Whereabouts are you??

rmaynard

:WRS: So I'll be the first yank to welcome you. Glad to have you about.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

Razorback

Welcome!!!

• Like 1

Lefty 57

Thank you rmaynard for the welcome, I can see from your post that you have a little herd of Wheel Horses. Is the 1965 875 model the earliest you have? Do you have any photos?

Hello Jase 675, I now live in Faringdon, was born over in Bicester and have lived in Eynsham, Botley, Marston, Wantage and East Challow.  Oxfordshire really is my home county although I did live in Cambridgeshire for 22 years.

Jase 675 do you have a Wheel Horse? or are you still searching?

I know it took me a while to find mine and it was just 50 miles from home. 

I am always searching, looking for my next.

Warning! The Wheel Horse garden tractors are very addictive, there really is something about them, the build quality and their design. Once you start working on them you really appreciate the work that was put in originally. They have stood the test of time and so many are still around and in running order. I knew when my Kohler Magnum 12HP engine fired up properly for the first time in years that I had made the right decision to buy it. (I bought it after just hearing it crank over by last owner shorting out the solenoid.)

There are some lovely older Wheel Horses tucked away in old sheds/barns and gardens here in the UK, its just a case of tracking them down and seeing if you can rescue one or two. 

Lefty 57

• Like 2

Achto

:WRS:

Jase675

Hey, Lefty57

I've lived in Chalgrove (near Stadhampton) but have mates in Woodstock (the original Woodstock, UK) and Shrivenham.

I have a 1982 C-161. It's been a bit of a trickster because it doesn't mirror the USA model years. I think mine is a run out model the same as the USA SK486.

It's model number I think was unique to the UK importer to differentiate from US grey imports. Imported by GD Mountfield, Reading and sold through Power Gardening, Slough.

Mine is a 0116KH81 with 16HP Kohler. Mostly complete but with a rotten deck. I know of a NOS period deck for about £1k

Archway of Windsor seem to be very knowledgeable, especially Patrick.

My Wheel Horse journey just begun and I intend to road register lol

• Like 1

Lefty 57

Hi again Jase 675,  So you have the C-161, that's a very nice Wheel Horse, I do like the older C series shape. I should imagine the 16HP Kohler is a lovely sounding engine. A 1982 model, 38 years old! makes my 1991 model just a youngster at 29. 

Does your C-161 look like the photo I've added? 

I have the same problem on my mowing deck, three large rust holes and the top panel getting a bit thin, the one thing I have never learnt is how to weld. I do have a nephew who can do the welding and just need him to have a look at the deck and say if it can be saved or not.

Did your Wheel Horse come with paperwork? Is that how you know who imported it and who sold it?

A period deck for £1k!  Ouch that's a lot of cash just for a deck, unless I suppose they are getting harder to find for the C series.  I have seen decks for my 91 model going at between £350 to £500.

There is a guy called MickWhitt a member here in the UK who knows about the process to road register if you do not mind the hassle from DVLA. (Just paperwork)

If you have any issues with your Wheel Horse then this forum is a great place to ask for help. I have learnt a lot from the members here. Keep in touch, let me know how you are progressing with your C-161.

Lefty 57.

C161.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Well, I've already lived through one British Invasion and survived...guess I can handle another one.  Welcome aboard gents.  :UK:  :orcs-cheers:   Enjoy the site !!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

787811653_RS-WelcomeWagon.jpg.fb3ba0aa90d34a2772af270fbdf978b6.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS:

@Mickwhitt Your being paged... Bloke here needs help road registering. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Just so you gentlemen know we call your models long frame tractors. The 1974-1984 C-Series became the 300, 400 and 500 series 1985-2007 I think it was. Toro produced replacement decks until about 2012 and those last decks fit your tractors. Not many companies have had a run like that. So chances of finding replacements could not be better.

Garry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard
20 hours ago, Lefty 57 said:

Thank you rmaynard for the welcome, I can see from your post that you have a little herd of Wheel Horses. Is the 1965 875 model the earliest you have? Do you have any photos?

I currently have a "little herd" consisting of a 701, 875, 857, Commando 8, 1977 B-100, and a 1996 416-H.

The 875 is my latest acquisition, but not the oldest. The 1961 701 holds that honor. 

Fully restored 1961 701

DSCN3365.JPG.31ff855e2d116be9b760ad9369bd3d22.JPG

875 the day I brought it home

875_on_trailer.jpg.419f50e5a07565d687c7a1346e089f77.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Jase675

Here's a phot of my C-161

Hard to believe this little beasts survive so well but they are ruggedly made. I reckon any that are still alive now, will live on forever! Bit like Series Landrovers haha.

Sure, @Lefty 57, let's keep in touch.

If anyone sees clues to help me pinpoint the model or year, please let me know. 0116KH81 believed 1982

.....how is it I've memorised my Wheel Horse model and serial number after only 1 week! 50 years and I still can't remember my health service number lol.

DSC_0958.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tractorhead

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

from south Bavaria

• Like 1

meadowfield

tidy thing that!   

quite a few of us in the UK - so if you get stuck give us a shout...

have fun!

• Like 3

Stormin

:text-welcomeconfetti: to:rs: from OOP North in Cumbria.

• Like 2