snowhound

Traction in the snow

snowhound

In Sept. we had a new paved driveway put in the driveway has a fairly steep hill.  In the past I've used turf tires with chains on my snow blower tractor but am concerned about damaging the new pavement would bar tread tires give me decent traction?  I have cast iron weights and I go about 200 lbs.

ebinmaine

Ag tires won't be satisfactory to you especially in a hill. 

What you need are RUBBER CHAINS.

And tons of weight. Enough weight? Add more. 

@Ed KennellKennell is it you that runs rubber chains? 

• Like 4

doc724

Regular chains will scratch your driveway of you spin the tires.  I would stay away from bar tread chains.  Of course, if you are using a blower, there should be less spinning than if you are using a plow.  My driveway was not very steep, but I would put on cast iron weights and four 40 lb suitcase weights and chains and me had no problem with wheel spinning with a blower.

AMC RULES

Beet juice...filled tires all four corners.

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Beet juice...filled tires all four corners.

Yessir. 

Like my Cinnamon Horse has. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

I use rubber chains and a plastic edge on the plow for eh short length of drive with pavers.  Rubber chains work well  (not as good as steel) but they pound you as they are really 4 link. equivilent.

IMG_0193.JPG

• Like 2

Racinbob

We have a long blacktop drive. I use 150# of wheel weights, a weight box hooked to a 2" receiver hitch and rubber chains on the tractor with the blade. The blower tractor has 110# of wheel weights and that's it. So far no issues with either but last winter wasn't a test. :)

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Yep, I believe the rubber straps actually twist and act like a cut pulling tire when in loose snow.  And they have better traction than steel on a bare paved driveway. 

Steel is better on ice.   Weight=TractionIMG_6697.JPG.9c9dee8ec9e1638751b7e990ec552960.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Eric, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here , I have AG tires on my 520s fluid filled and iron weights plus a little more hanging out back of the snow chucker rig and DON'T use chains on our paved driveway without issues (of course your milage may vary)... my OTR Lawn Trac R1 has been an excellent traction tire on my 2 520s whether the blower or pushing a 56" snow plow or pulling a 10" Brinly or mowing my steep hills. Just my experiences here. 

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Mine were pretty slippery without chains. But maybe if I added more weight....?

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Mine were pretty slippery without chains. But maybe if I added more weight....?

IDK, I only have 5 gallons methanol in each tire maybe 75# iron each wheel. Then add the cab and another 120# on the blower tractor plus my 200... But the OTR (#2) have a different pattern than the Carlisle TruPower(#1) or Deestone equivalent(#3) that I had to run chains with, again just my experiences.

Screenshot_20201004-183405.png

Screenshot_20201004-183432.png

Screenshot_20201004-184622.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Maybe those OTR are the difference?

Interesting straight spot in the center. 

WVHillbilly520H
16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Maybe those OTR are the difference?

Interesting straight spot in the center. 

That center could be the tractive difference IDK... but no chains for 3 years they are definitely better than the Carlisle Trac Chief R4s on my Mahindra and even with fluid fill the sidewalls have plenty of flex.

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

That center could be the tractive difference IDK... but no chains for 3 years they are definitely better than the Carlisle Trac Chief R4s on my Mahindra and even with fluid fill the sidewalls have plenty of flex.

Forgive the slight side track of the thread here....

How's the mud traction?

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Forgive the slight side track of the thread here....

How's the mud traction?

So far here in my wet red clay soil gardening this summer no issues a few times I wondered if I was going to have to get a tow but they pulled on through or backed out and over I am truly impressed by this brand tire they can be had in 26x12-12 as well.

• Thanks 1

WheelhorseBob

The limiting factor here is the open differential rear ends these tractors utilize. On ice, no amount of weight or tire tread design will help. What you need is a device that digs into the ice. V-bar chain is the best. Different tires and rubber chains will work if you have dirt or pavement under the snow but as anyone in the snow belt who works for a living knows, by the time you get home after a snow/rain/ice storm the damage is done. I’ve spun the wheels on my F250 plowing our driveway because of ice. That’s with a locked diff and 4x4. Moral of this story, ice doesn’t care about tread design or weight!

• Like 4

KrazeyOlDave
On 10/4/2020 at 6:50 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

IDK, I only have 5 gallons methanol in each tire maybe 75# iron each wheel. Then add the cab and another 120# on the blower tractor plus my 200... But the OTR (#2) have a different pattern than the Carlisle TruPower(#1) or Deestone equivalent(#3) that I had to run chains with, again just my experiences.

Screenshot_20201004-183405.png

Screenshot_20201004-183432.png

Screenshot_20201004-184622.png

I’m wanting to fill mine with whatever is the cheapest but will not rust my rims, suggestions? Also, how wide are those rims? I could only find 10.5’s.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
7 minutes ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

I’m wanting to fill mine with whatever is the cheapest but will not rust my rims, suggestions? Also, how wide are those rims? I could only find 10.5’s.

Rims are factory 520H and come in at 8.5" wide for a 10.50" wide tire there are some brand new ones on eBay but back spacing will be of a concern if Wheel Horse ... Mine are filled with methanol that farm shops use, but you could use RV antifreeze (the pink stuff) Or plain old blue windshield washer fluid.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
On 10/4/2020 at 8:32 PM, WheelhorseBob said:

The limiting factor here is the open differential rear ends these tractors utilize. On ice, no amount of weight or tire tread design will help. What you need is a device that digs into the ice. V-bar chain is the best. Moral of this story, ice doesn’t care about tread design or weight!

I agree 100%,  but also with these GTs in my experiences a hydro trans has big advantage over a gear jammer in the snow/ice you are never in the wrong gear slow fast or just right.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Rims are factory 520H and come in at 8.5" wide for a 10.50" wide tire there are some brand new ones on eBay but back spacing will be of a concern if Wheel Horse ... Mine are filled with methanol that farm shops use, but you could use RV antifreeze (the pink stuff) Or plain old blue windshield washer fluid.

Check if you have a Rimguard dealer near you as well.

I can get tires filled with Rimguard for less than pink rv antifreeze most of the year. 

Location. Location. Location. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
15 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

a hydro trans has big advantage over a gear jammer in the snow/ice you are never in the wrong gear slow fast or just right.

Yes sir, about a 10X advantage if you are clearing smaller obstructed driveways where you changing directions constantly.

• Like 2

midpack

I got a set of rubber chains to keep from tearing up the paved driveway with steel. They work well except on ice.

I have about 115#'s on each rear wheel, 30#'s on each front and 200+ #'s in the seat  😆

• Like 1