TractorChild97

20201008_153454_HDR.jpg.6a10eddddd9b2f76c60959eba440fe4f.jpg

20201008_154904.jpg

20201008_154852.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

TractorChild97
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Just make sure when you are trying to remove it that you do not mushroom the end with a hammer.  That just makes things more... fun.

If it comes right down to it you can use a sawzall to cut the pieces out and then get them out individually in three or even four sections but obviously we want to try to avoid that...

Same basic removal situation as the hubs. Remember HEAT is your friend.

I forged a ball peen hammer into a tapered drift hammer. So I used that to get that pin out

It took forever. Its a good thing I tore this tranny apart...i took a magnet and search through all the bearings and gears and found all those needles that were sitting on the bull gear when I lifted the casing off. It looks like the bearing has actually been busted for a bit. The axle has scraps and damage all up and down it. The axle hole has a weird off set to it also. 

• Like 1

TractorChild97

20201008_154810_HDR.jpg

ebinmaine

The offset MIGHT be factory. Measure the I. D. Best you can. 

Can you show a pic of the old bearings? Shell included. 

Just wondering how far the  axle wore into it. 

(((Nevermind that I just got the other pics. )))

Your axles are likely toast. 

Not a big deal. 

Lincoln at A to Z Tractor in PA should have some. 

Wouldn't be a bad idea to pop open the differential and clean it out as well. 

Carefully check all the bearings. 

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Thanks 1

TractorChild97
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

The offset MIGHT be factory. Measure the I. D. Best you can. 

Can you show a pic of the old bearings? Shell included. 

Just wondering how far the  axle wore into it. 

(((Nevermind that I just got the other pics. )))

Your axles are likely toast. 

Not a big deal. 

Lincoln at A to Z Tractor in PA should have some. 

Wouldn't be a bad idea to pop open the differential and clean it out as well. 

Carefully check all the bearings. 

I'm going to double check the gears bearing and teeth again and 100% make sure its clean. How come the shaft cant be re used? Do the grooves axles cause damage to other stuff? I still have a while before my seals and bearings come in the mail so I'll do some more cleaning. I also found a small piece of gravel lodged in the teeth of the bull gear. And as for that offset I'm not sure how to check it to be honest with ya. 

ebinmaine

I'd say the offset is factory from just your pics. 

The bore looks smooth and round (not oblong). 

The bearing shell hasn't been chewed all the way through either. 

The concern with the axle is that the bearing won't have it's full smooth surface to ride on which will cause premature wear. 

While it's apart they really should be replaced. 

Perhaps throw a wanted ad on here or call Lincoln. 

• Thanks 1

TractorChild97
46 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd say the offset is factory from just your pics. 

The bore looks smooth and round (not oblong). 

The bearing shell hasn't been chewed all the way through either. 

The concern with the axle is that the bearing won't have it's full smooth surface to ride on which will cause premature wear. 

While it's apart they really should be replaced. 

Perhaps throw a wanted ad on here or call Lincoln. 

Id say there pretty pricey but I'll still check them out. Id rather have a new one to be honest. I still have to order the seals and bearings. Money money monaaayyyyy 

lynnmor

The axles are hardened where the needle bearings ride, so that surface is actually the inner race for the needles and needs to be in excellent condition.  Any grooves or wear causes the load to be concentrated on just the good portion.

• Excellent 2

TractorChild97
3 hours ago, lynnmor said:

The axles are hardened where the needle bearings ride, so that surface is actually the inner race for the needles and needs to be in excellent condition.  Any grooves or wear causes the load to be concentrated on just the good portion.

Very neat! I love learning about those small details that have a huge impact! I do have another question, I had my tranny in neutral before I took my shifter out, but in the pictures of the opened gears you can see the left side of the (shifting fork)? looks slid up a few notches and the right side is settled down. I may have accidentally lifted the shifter fork pieces when I lifted the casing or is it in neutral this way? 

TractorChild97

20201008_154315_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, TractorChild97 said:

lifted the shifter fork pieces

I'd say that's what happened. 

No worries. Just tap them til even. 

• Excellent 1

953 nut

At this point I would say it doesn't matter what gear the transmission is in. It is time to remove the other hub and pull the gears and shafts out to insect all of the bearings and make sure there aren't pieces of that bearing lurking out of sight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TractorChild97
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

At this point I would say it doesn't matter what gear the transmission is in. It is time to remove the other hub and pull the gears and shafts out to insect all of the bearings and make sure there aren't pieces of that bearing lurking out of sight.

Its better to ask all the questions I can while I'm there. Now I know after I inspect all the gears I can peck it back in neutral and have no worries. It will still be a few weeks before I get the bearing and seal in so I will definitely be doing some cleaning and searching. :laughing-rofl:

Edited by TractorChild97
  • Excellent 1

TractorChild97

Oh y'all can see the piece of gravel in my bull gear also. I have no idea how that ever got in there. 

TractorChild97

So my plan was too put the casing back together temporarily to remove the second hub on the ground. So I went to peck down one side of the big shifting fork and its not budging.. I figured ut would just click down in neutral. This wheel horse has always shifted like a charm. This all would be way easier if anyone in my area knew anything about them. So when I can get the shifter fork thing back down in place I'll slap the casing together, remove the hub and deep clean the gears and bearings in search for some more needles. 

ebinmaine

See if that shift fork and what it attaches to will move anything anywhere at all. I'm wondering if maybe you have a couple of gears that are either binding up a little bit holding things in place or possibly not quite meshed enough to move down where it needs to be. Make sure that you have the weight of the unit on the case, not the hub that's sticking down.

Some of the horses we have will slide right into gear every time and some of them you have to either let your foot up until the belt touches or, Rock the tractor just a bit. You may need to turn the axle or one of those gears just a little. 

• Excellent 1

TractorChild97
16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

See if that shift fork and what it attaches to will move anything anywhere at all. I'm wondering if maybe you have a couple of gears that are either binding up a little bit holding things in place or possibly not quite meshed enough to move down where it needs to be. Make sure that you have the weight of the unit on the case, not the hub that's sticking down.

Some of the horses we have will slide right into gear every time and some of them you have to either let your foot up until the belt touches or, Rock the tractor just a bit. You may need to turn the axle or one of those gears just a little. 

Thanks I'll fool around with it some more tonight and hopefully get it down. I found another bearing piece laying on the bottom axle ball bearing. I definitely want to clean it up. I have to rock it to shift into hi/low sometimes but iv never had any issues with the main shifter in the little bit of time iv rode it. I'll keep you updated! 

• Like 2

TractorChild97

:sad-bored:Update.....the reason my shifter wouldnt go back into neutral is because the input shaft was sitting on a 2x4 putting it in a bind...yeah i felt really smart about that one. I currently have the casings on there sides. Iv been spraying some on blaster in the casings to drain out the rust and Sandy stuff. Iv found two more bearing pieces. Iv been spraying them until there is no gunk. All the bearings seem good and the shifters and gears seem alright too. I'm going to slide the bearing on the scuffed up axle to see how the bearing sits on it. If its uneven or wobbly any little bit im buying a new axle. I'll keep y'all updated as the bearing and seals come in. 

• Like 2

TractorChild97

So I got everything cleaned out after constant spraying of pb blaster and turning bearings I'm 100% sure I got the pieces of the needle bearing out. The new needle bearing sit pretty nice on the scuffed axle so I'm going to try it out for a bit and see how things go. The bearing itself went in about 1/4inch with allittle help from a socket and small ball peen hammer. It was not super tough to get in but I'm sure its in good enough to stay. The seal went on nicely and was tight enough to were I couldnt even get close to pushing it in with my fingers but it went in easy also, I accidentally pecked it in just a frog hair passed flush, but it shouldnt be touching the bearing. It took 100% slack out of the axle. Now I have the cases put together and laid on there sides to cure grey gasket maker over night. Everything turns smooth and makes no sound so I reckon its okay. I thought it was gonna be harder putting the bearing and seal in the housing honestly I have my fingers crossed that they seal!! 

20201017_210712.jpg

Edited by TractorChild97
  • Like 1

TractorChild97

Oh and I still need a shifter boot which I'm working on :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

TractorChild97

I also came across this seat for 15$ today. I bolted it on the fenders to try it out here soon. If never even sit on one so I hope its comfortable! 

Screenshot_20201017-212352.png

• Like 1

TractorChild97

A20201018_223110_HDR.jpg.e6e7ceaa16c5e3dbd30e6ce5ab587a82.jpg

• Excellent 1

TractorChild97

Ole wheelie Nelson is back up and moving again. I put 2quarts of new gear oil in the transmission and rode it around for about 15 minutes. I heard some whiny sound in the right side. The left side made no noise at all. Maybe its because the gears have new cold oil? Im not sure. Theres no leaking and no slack in either axle. So if theres no leak tomorrow it will be a success. Fingers crossed. I wouldnt have ever made it this far without the help of @ebinmaine hopefully everything works out for the best! I know it dont seem like much but to me that was a big job (tractor wise) Huge thanks to all y'all. 

• Like 1