RJ Hamner

Bought Another Tractor This Evening 1966 876

Bill D

I knew you were kidding 😁.  If you ever need a pump mounting plate for an M series I could probably find time to make you one.  Bill

RJ Hamner
On 10/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, 71_Bronco said:

Is that hydraulic lift factory? Looks to me like a different shade of red, possibly added after?

Either way, nice little tractor.

Seems like it is.  Terry has a set of decals for the 876 and it includes the decals for the lift. Maybe I’ll keep looking for an owners manual that covers the lift. 

gwest_ca

Click on the picture

Garry

RJ Hamner

Thank you Sir!

RandyLittrell

Great find! Wish I could find one of those back here, we have a pretty limited supply in the midwest and when something does show up, they think it was dipped in gold!! 

Randy

• Like 1

RJ Hamner

Finally, finished the bathroom remodel from hell.:)

Got most of the nichol and dime projects finished.

The shoulder replacement is as healed up as it's going to get (the other one is getting worse but I'm not planning to go through that again).

The 876 is on the lift and the wife went shopping so.............LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!:greetings-clappingyellow:

Things were getting a little tight.  Seemed like every time I stacked so stuff on an available spot I'd have to move it later.

With the help of HF and their furniture dollies the tires, mower deck and 7 plastic crates of spare/misc parts are all on wheels. :thumbs:

DSC_1132.JPG

DSC_1133.JPG

DSC_1134.JPG

• Like 4

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, RJ Hamner said:

With the help of HF and their furniture dollies the tires, mower deck and 7 plastic crates of spare/misc parts are all on wheels

Now that's handy.  

RJ Hamner

Now the slow process of putting it all back together

DSC_1139.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
22 minutes ago, RJ Hamner said:

Now the slow process of putting it all back together

DSC_1139.JPG

As c'mon now, admit it. You're loving every minute.

RJ Hamner

Been giving the blast cabinet a workout here lately.

My "clothesline" is full and so had to use the lift table and the chain hoist

DSC_1141.JPG

• Excellent 2

RJ Hamner

Been kinda hot here lately. 

Told the wife that the weather guys were saying that outdoor activity should be limited especially for old guys like me.:rolleyes:

Not sure she bought it but I've been able to get a fair amount done this week.

Been kinda lucky that only one part was "rust welded" but it finally worked out without having a broken part.

But the good luck ended this morning.  Thought I would tear down the engine since it was raining.

The two set screws on the multi-belt pulley are stuck like there is no tomorrow. "Magic elexer" and heat will be next

DSC_1143.JPG

DSC_1146.JPG

DSC_1144.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

R. L. Addison

Many times I will take a punch that will fit into the bottom of the hex and tap as hard as I dare and they will back out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RJ Hamner

Went back out this evening and broke out the torch. Tackled the old muffler and the nipple into the engine. Got the muffler pretty hot then thought “what am I going to grab it with”. Dug around the tool chest and found an oil filter wrench. Some times it’s better to be lucky than good. It came right off. The nipple gave it up after more heat, a big pipe wrench and a dead blow hammer. Moved on to the multi pulley. More heat. Set screws finally let loose. Got out the bearing puller and a couple of hits with the impact wrench and it came off without a problem. Called it a night.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

RJ Hamner

The prior owner had installed a vacuum fuel pump on the engine (i had never seen one before) but it was held on with several zip ties. 

I had debated on wither to use it or get another mechanical one.  I have several of the old metal ones but have never had much luck with the rebuild kits.

My luck with the plastic one has been about 70/30

I have been toying with several ideas on how to mount the vacuum pump without the zip ties.

Well...4 bolts, 4 spacers, a piece of steel and several washers and nuts later this is the result:D

DSC_1149.JPG

DSC_1150.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don

Looks totally "official" to me! Nice innovation, there. :)

rmaynard

@RJ Hamner Bob, the worst thing I did to my 875 was to drain the transmission. According to the original owner, he had never changed the transmission fluid because he could not find the drain plug. So he would do a quick swap of the filter, and top it off with Type-A transmission fluid. Even though the fluid had never been changed, that transmission ran strong as an ox. Then I made the mistake of draining it all out. My problem then was that no Type-A transmission fluid was to be found in 2020. I was told to use this and use that, and that Wolf's Head Synthetic was the best, but guess what? Nothing that I have put into it worked as good as the 56 year old Type-A. I struggle to go up hills.

Anyway, just a rant about leaving well enough alone.

• Like 3

RJ Hamner
10 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

@RJ Hamner Bob, the worst thing I did to my 875 was to drain the transmission. According to the original owner, he had never changed the transmission fluid because he could not find the drain plug. So he would do a quick swap of the filter, and top it off with Type-A transmission fluid. Even though the fluid had never been changed, that transmission ran strong as an ox. Then I made the mistake of draining it all out. My problem then was that no Type-A transmission fluid was to be found in 2020. I was told to use this and use that, and that Wolf's Head Synthetic was the best, but guess what? Nothing that I have put into it worked as good as the 56 year old Type-A. I struggle to go up hills.

Anyway, just a rant about leaving well enough alone.

Bob

After I read your post the first thing that came to mind was "If it ain't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all":wacko:

I did drain all the old fluid into gallon jugs and being somewhat remiss about taking all my jugs of old oil and fluids to the garage in town......

I might be able to save the day

It is kind of odd that some of the hydros used Type A and some used 10w30. I've had one of each on prior rebuilds and they were both the same brand of hydro

rmaynard
1 hour ago, RJ Hamner said:

Bob

After I read your post the first thing that came to mind was "If it ain't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all":wacko:

I'm leaving Saturday for the Outer Bank, N.C.. On the way, I'm stopping in Richmond to pick up a 875 transmission from @richmondred01. I plan to attempt a rebuild on it. If successful I'll swap it out to my 875, then rebuild that one. Hopefully I can refill with 10W30. That ought to be around for awhile.

RJ Hamner

It's starting to look a little more like a tractor than a collection of spare parts.

Waiting on a few things that should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Started to run some of the wires and noticed that the 876 did not have lights from the factory.

But this on does.  Who ever did it did a great job of cutting out the hole for the wafer switch.

Since the 876 wiring diagram does not cover head and tail lights.  I tapped into the cigar lighter for the circuit.:scratchead:  If anyone has a better idea for the circuit let me know.:D

I made a mod to the seat.  The original is bolted to the fender with one bolt into one of the three holes.  Even with the bolt in the farther hole it is/was a little cramped if you are 6'2".

Dug around the spare parts locker and came up with a set of seat springs and a pretty decent seat. The "Sage of All Things Wheel Horse" once told me that if you mount the springs backwards it tips the seat back giving a little more room for long legs.  It really works!!!!!:)

Finished the hood and was ready to attach the hood ornament and found I was out of the push on nuts.  Went back to the auto paint store where I had bought them before and they were out. They tried to order  more of them but both of the suppliers they use were out.  Found some on Amazon.  They come in 100 packs. Told the wife that I had enough for 50 more tractors.  The woman has no sense of humor.:scared-eek:

So.......If you need a couple or so, let me know.  I have a surplus:P

DSC_1151.JPG

DSC_1152.JPG

• Like 3

RJ Hamner

Well it’s been a little over a year on the 876 project. With the exception of the cover for the engine/starter generator and putting the hood back on (still have to save a few bucks for the decal set) …..ITS DONE:greetings-clappingyellow:

Edited by RJ Hamner
Video not working
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

71_Bronco

My 1968 Commando 8 had lights installed when I got it, even though it was not a "standard" feature.

I did find a dealer pamphlet about lights for them, showing the kit and how to wire. The hot wire for the switch was piggybacked off the cigar lighter terminal, exactly how mine was wired. Thought it was a little odd, but that's how they showed it.

RJ Hamner

Put the finishing touches on today

DSC_1161.JPG

DSC_1165.JPG

DSC_1163.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@ RJ  Hamner , looks and sounds good , what's that front of frame to axel mount ? don't think  I  have seen one of those . looks stout . good job , pete

RJ Hamner
13 hours ago, peter lena said:

@ RJ  Hamner , looks and sounds good , what's that front of frame to axel mount ? don't think  I  have seen one of those . looks stout . good job , pete

Just the normal part of the frame. Just a lot easier to see since it’s not red

71_Bronco

Beautiful. I like the slight contrast of the black frame.

Just gotta tuck that fuse up into the dash now :ychain: