71_Bronco

Anybody Into Vintage Fishing Gear?

71_Bronco

Just bought one of these reels off everybody's favorite bidding site. Put in a bid I felt was reasonable (maybe a tad low), and surprisingly won it.

It's a "Humphrey's" model 3A stainless reel. I'm not really into vintage fishing gear, but I have always enjoyed fishing ever since I was a kid. I was lucky enough to have a pond next door I could fish whenever I wanted.

I bought this because I like the looks of it, and the all stainless construction. Plus it's a unique reel that you dont see often.

Here's a pic of the reel, or at least an ad for it from the 50's or 60's. I'll post more once I get the reel if there's any interest.

I would like to use this reel, though I'll have a little learning curve, as I'm use to a spinning reel.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

bottjernat1

Yep I have a cane pole that was my late dads. I think it is older then he was tho I will get a photo of it. 

WHX??

Looks like it's mostly for fly fishing? 

WHNJ701

I use the "old" reels for river fishing, mitchell 300s and quick reels.  They are bullet proof for carp and catfish

• Like 1

71_Bronco

The pond that I fish has mostly bass and blue-gill. Not sure if there's anything else.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Thats definitely an old fly reel .Couldn't tell you what year but I have seen these before. I have a large collection of

gear. 

Achto

Cool reel :handgestures-thumbupright: I only have one antique rod & reel. It's a post war rod that was made from a surplus antenna with an old bait caster reel on it. No drag, no release, when you cast out the handle on the reel spins backwards. I'll get a picture of it, if I can find it in my garage mess that is.:D

• Haha 1

SPINJIM

Antique reels were my hobby before I got hooked on Wheel Horses.  I still have about a hundred of them.   If we have to move into a retirement community in the future, that will become my hobby again.   I enjoy working with mechanical gadgets.   Unfortunately, most retirement units don't have much space for tractors.   

That's a neat reel.  I've seen them before, but don't recall how they work.   Is it a 'flip' reel that pivots 90 degree for casting, then flips back for retrieving?

Jim

71_Bronco
28 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

Antique reels were my hobby before I got hooked on Wheel Horses.  I still have about a hundred of them.   If we have to move into a retirement community in the future, that will become my hobby again.   I enjoy working with mechanical gadgets.   Unfortunately, most retirement units don't have much space for tractors.   

That's a neat reel.  I've seen them before, but don't recall how they work.   Is it a 'flip' reel that pivots 90 degree for casting, then flips back for retrieving?

Jim

No, it stays as shown in that picture. The lever you see in the picture is to disconnect the spool from the handle (for casting), but it stays sideways like that.

Mickwhitt

Antique reels are popular here as are handmade High quality reels and fishing gear.

A colleague had me making fittings for his rod rests etc. He was happy to pay into the hundreds just for a rest made by one of the top makers. Madness lol

bc.gold

Split bamboo rods for me and Pat has a nice collection of plugs made from wood.

Stepney

I have some 40-50's era light duty rods and reels. I'm not even sure the makes anymore..

Launch the '51 Alumacraft, light up the 1957 SeaHorse with that shimmery red/white paint, and go smoking off into the sunrise..

The glory's of vintage boating and fishing. 

stevasaurus

I have a couple of steel casting rods.  I think they are from the 40's...some lures and some old casting reels.  Looks like we should get some pictures and add them here.  :occasion-xmas:

Terry M

I have a few old fishing items I inherited from my late Dad including some old fishing lures..some never opened.   I’m guessing from the late 50s or early 60s.   
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

71_Bronco

Very nice @Terry M, my dad had a couple of old boxes full of stuff i used as a kid. Unfortunately, he sold it at a yard sale without me knowing. I went digging through his garage the other day looking for them, when he told me they were gone :(

• Like 1

midpack
On 9/28/2020 at 2:03 PM, jabelman said:

I use the "old" reels for river fishing, mitchell 300s and quick reels.  They are bullet proof for carp and catfish

I've used a Garcia Mitchell 408 since the 70's. I actually have a pristine 408 in the original box with all the paperwork still. I have about half dozen other vintage Mitchell reels, stuff I find at garage sales and whatnot. I like them, but it;s not a full blown obsession... yet  :)