echris

Toro 521 Snowthrower restoration

echris

I wonder if any of you guru's could help me out with this one. I'm waiting for one more head bolt. The one with the head drilled and tapped for the muffler mount. It doesn't look like a stretch bolt like the rest, there's no shoulder on it.
I can certainly clean up this bolt and install it so I can finally get the engine running.
Would it make sense to just clean it up and install it and replace later? I don't think it would affect the head if I did so, but I'm not sure.
I do have spare head gaskets should it leak.

Anyone have any tips?

IMG_20201019_213846.jpg

rjg854

I'd think you'd be alright reusing it, and/or changing it later.  I don't think you'd have to change the gasket, just because you change one bolt.  But Hey, I've been proven wrong before. :hide:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I'd think you'd be alright reusing it, and/or changing it later.  I don't think you'd have to change the gasket, just because you change one bolt.  But Hey, I've been proven wrong before. :hide:

That's pretty much what I was thinking...

Don't take my word as the be all end all but my small engine guy told me at one point that he's pretty comfortable using most OLDER head bolts two or even three times because they don't stretch anywhere near the same amount as the modern car engine bolts do. 

Unless your engine rebuild manual specifically tells you NOT to reuse ANY of the head bolts I would go ahead and do it. 

• Like 1

echris

OK, thanks! I'm gonna go for it.
The main reason I replaced the head bolts is the hex was sketchy on several of them. I've wasted plenty of time in the past trying to remove broken/damaged head bolts from small engines. For the price it was a no-brainer!

• Like 1

echris

It's alive!!!

Seems like I'll need to pull the carb again, there must be a piece of fly $hit I missed as she's surging without half choke. If that's not the case then a governor adjustment might be needed. Either way, she runs and sounds strong fo

Edited by echris
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

echris

She's done! almost

Just need to touch up the paint on the hardware here and there, sort out the carb issue which is still bugging me and she's good to go.

Everything else is working great. Auger engages nice and smooth, the drive will try to drag me across the driveway if I hold on tight.

Really pleased with how this project came out. Now what the heck am I gonna do with my evenings?

IMG_20201021_182726.jpg.a93be40a2d459609527eff3ae83e1093.jpg

IMG_20201021_183024.jpg.418707876ad6039cf373028fad6b65f8.jpg

IMG_20201021_183039.jpg.4fb49a1e6d1aa396e76a0ca2905c74a9.jpg

IMG_20201021_183048.jpg.b15e37a91a0654795e4f3a638fd58110.jpg

IMG_20201021_183055.jpg.86cc8600612ed6df89efd83428915f64.jpg

MVIMG_20201021_183327.jpg.14ae5e2edbb3ae4aea7166f3439bbbb4.jpg

MVIMG_20201021_183332.jpg.eac228f3ee4c3d6ac90ddca146ce2379.jpg

Edited by echris
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, echris said:

Now what the heck am I gonna do with my evenings

You run out to Maine and I'll set you up with a pile o Horse pahts. 

Build one from the ground up.  

That snowblower turned out fantastic!!!!

• Thanks 1

echris
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

pahts.

I love an honest New Englander. :lol:

Edited by echris
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

Looks great, let us know how well it throws the snow if we get any this year.:text-coolphotos:

• Thanks 1

echris
On 10/22/2020 at 5:11 AM, rjg854 said:

Looks great, let us know how well it throws the snow if we get any this year.:text-coolphotos:

Are you crazy? She's too pretty. She's a trailer queen now.

:lol:

• Haha 2

Bill D

Very nice.  Almost to pretty to use.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Get snow yet??

:occasion-snowman:

echris
On 10/25/2020 at 8:21 PM, ebinmaine said:

Get snow yet??

:occasion-snowman:

Ha, no. We don't usually get anything significant until December/January. Although a few years ago we got 1-2 feet on Halloween.

It's not quite done. Still waiting for that last modified head bolt to finally torque everything down once and for all. 

I also still had some surging at idle, but when I started it yesterday to empty the float bowl, it ran perfectly. Just as it was about to stall, I turned the petcock back on, she stumbled a bit then idled perfectly smooth.

Maybe the carb needed a few days to soak. B)

• Like 1

ebinmaine

• Like 1

echris

@ebinmaine
You jinxed me.

I woke up to this, this morning.

MVIMG_20201030_080042.jpg.a63dcbd8138389cc876aa2101f7910f8.jpg

I contemplated getting out there with the snow blower and pointing the bucket to the sky too see what she'd do, but nah...

• Haha 1

nice work. i have had  one just like yours for a few years that's  in decent original shape. i call it my backup snowblower in case my MTD dies. i have never actually used it in snow and i'm curious how it would perform...maybe i should give it a try this year

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 10/30/2020 at 10:29 PM, echris said:

ebinmaine
You jinxed me

Bwahahahahaha!!!!

Glad to help

• Thanks 1

echris
6 hours ago, 305 said:

nice work. i have had  one just like yours for a few years that's  in decent original shape. i call it my backup snowblower in case my MTD dies. i have never actually used it in snow and i'm curious how it would perform...maybe i should give it a try this year

They're tough little machines and will throw light snow at least 20'.   My main driver for years has been a 1972 Ariens 5HP, 24" and the Toro does a better job. My neighbor has the same model Toro as mine and I've used it a few times the past few years.

If your MTD is more than 5HP, it might do a better job though. If it's not, I can nearly guarantee the Toro will do a better job.

Digger 66
On 10/5/2020 at 8:25 PM, echris said:

The chrome handle bars are a no-go. They'll need to be painted

I wound up painting the bars on my old Ariens when I cleaned her up a few years ago .

nt3hGp9.jpg

• Like 2

echris
6 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

I wound up painting the bars on my old Ariens when I cleaned her up a few years ago .

nt3hGp9.jpg

That looks like a late 70's/early 80's model. What replacement motor did you use? Nice machine!

A friend gave me a '72 Ariens with a hole in the block in the late 90's. It had a 4HP Tecumseh Snow King. Ordered a bolt-on replacement 5HP Snow King from Northern Tools for around $200 I think. 20% more power! B)
She still runs strong.

• Like 1

Digger 66
5 minutes ago, echris said:

That looks like a late 70's/early 80's model. What replacement motor did you use? Nice machine!

A friend gave me a '72 Ariens with a hole in the block in the late 90's. It had a 4HP Tecumseh Snow King. Ordered a bolt-on replacement 5HP Snow King from Northern Tools for around $200 I think. 20% more power! B)
She still runs strong.

It's a 1966 .

Briggs makes a direct fit replacement for it ( except I had to fab up some socket universals to make it work ).

• Like 2

echris

So I officially gave up on waiting for the last head bolt. Jack's thought they shipped one, and promptly created a new order to replace it. That was a few weeks ago.
I ordered one from ewwEbay and it arrived 3 days later.

Just waiting for the paint to cure and then I can FINALLY button down the head for good. :rolleyes:

I don't want my money back from Jack's. They sent me an extra spring for the auger idler pulley. We're even. :lol:

• Like 1

echris

I think Jacks is broken. It still hasn't shipped. Ha!
I ordered 1, was supposed to get 3, still have none (except for the one I ordered from Ebay ). :huh:

1924316054_JACKSISBROKEN.png.7070fef6acf587b87bd89899495854da.png

Dh6369

Hello I wanted to know how you disassembled the transmission area I’m having my toro 421 powder coated and sand blasted but I am unfamiliar with tearing down the transmission assembly 

IMG_0396.png