Ronnie Gray

310-8 lack of power

Ronnie Gray

Have a wheel horse 310-8 that I can’t get any power. engine runs good but just creeps when put in gear. I have replaced clutch plate and belt when no results. It has set for several years but I do have engine running good. Belt really flopped when put in gear.

I could sure use some suggestions. I’m not sure what year it is a model # can’t be read.

I think it is a 1983 to 1989??  I’m new at this so I don’t know if I am at the right place to ask a question. Sure need some help

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Sounds like maybe the belt is not tight enough? Is the belt guard on correctly? Adjusted? Some pics would help...

• Like 2

Darb1964

You didn't say if it is the same in every gear, is the shifters for high/low range moving easy. Able to shift through 1,2,3.and reverse. Is the break free? Break pedal all the way forward? Gear box have clean oil?

• Like 2

8ntruck

Welcome to the forum.

It almost sounds like the transmission is in low range.  Third gear in low range is something like 1.5 mph.  1sr gear is really creeps.

The high/low range gear shift lever is the short one in front.  The left position is low range, the right position is high range.  Don't force this lever - shifter fork damage might be the result.

Good luck.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Don't force this lever

Welcome to Redsquare. 

Sometimes I have to rock the tractor a bit to switch between hi and low...

• Like 3

Achto

:WRS:

Along with all of the above advise, also check to make sure that your rear wheel hubs are tight and have not sheared the key.

953 nut
9 hours ago, Ronnie Gray said:

Belt really flopped when put in gear

:WRS:

I agree with others that the Hi/Lo gear selector may be in low range. Your drive belt should be a 5L-820 (Wheel Horse part # 7473) I have had good luck with the Kevlar belts from Tractor Supply. Also, it is important to have the belt guard on when operating the tractor.

• Like 1

Ronnie Gray

I appreciate all the suggestions very much. I have another question. Should the idle pulley be able to be moved easily by hand. If not could that also be a reason for floppy loose belt when in gear?

953 nut
6 hours ago, Ronnie Gray said:

Should the idle pulley be able to be moved easily by hand

YES