Jon D

Steel chain guard for snowblower

Jon D

Last winter I broke the chain on my snowblower and shattered the plastic chain guard.  Instead of trying to source another plastic one, I made a stronger one out of steel. Here’s pics of the new one before paint

2FF0D807-B8D8-4339-B427-DADB7F1E5903.jpeg

CE4B9301-6A84-4AD3-A25D-8318E516C1CE.jpeg

EA480A58-AF25-41D7-B7B5-567F1AEB02D1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

JON D , nice job on the guard, i regularly use LUBRIPLATE CHAIN AND CABLE SPRAY LUBRICANT  on my 36x42 single stage blower , never let it go dry , and it spins up by hand . i also detail lube every movement area on it, like the spring tension pulley frame ,that feeds off the pto drive , it spins so easy , its just a pleasure to use. don,t break another chain, stay after the lube and also adjust your chain tension. good luck with it , pete 

• Like 2

Jon D
5 minutes ago, peter lena said:

JON D , nice job on the guard, i regularly use LUBRIPLATE CHAIN AND CABLE SPRAY LUBRICANT  on my 36x42 single stage blower , never let it go dry , and it spins up by hand . i also detail lube every movement area on it, like the spring tension pulley frame ,that feeds off the pto drive , it spins so easy , its just a pleasure to use. don,t break another chain, stay after the lube and also adjust your chain tension. good luck with it , pete 

It was abused before I got it, I usually use motorcycle chain lube (always have it on hand)

• Like 1

peter lena

JON D, if there is any other area or issue , just ask , i,m sure others can relate and have a helpful response, i too can relate to a neglected blower before i got it . really got after the problems by very slowly watching its intended function , often lubricate and adjust , would change a bind into a very easy movement . stay at it , pete

Jon D

There is one thing, the scraper bar is pretty worn and it’s already been flipped. What is a good replacement? Poly or mild steel?

peter lena

mild steel is probably best , and easy to pick up , what type of surface are you using it on ? i picked up a nice poly blade at a cycle shop for my 48 " plow blade. if you can find someone that has a power punch you could get the original 4 square hole for  a carriage bolt , that would give the lower edge a nice smooth finish. how is the auger shape? pete

Jon D
13 minutes ago, peter lena said:

mild steel is probably best , and easy to pick up , what type of surface are you using it on ? i picked up a nice poly blade at a cycle shop for my 48 " plow blade. if you can find someone that has a power punch you could get the original 4 square hole for  a carriage bolt , that would give the lower edge a nice smooth finish. how is the auger shape? pete

Auger is good, asphalt surface. Is original scraper bar 2” wide?

• Like 1

peter lena

yes it is , you can also adjust your blower housing side sliders , for more height , to save the housing. you do not have to have a scrape clean finish with the blower , just close enough for the weathers heating / sun effect to finish off the melt. how easily does the blower chute rotate? , keep the questions coming  , pete