Sparky180

New to me D180

Sparky180

New to the forum and D180 project. The previous owner said the axle seals were leaking and when he started to split the case he got it .5 inch apart and a sheared bolt and nut fell out. The only things I can see in assembly drawings are 4 bolts on the main axle gear assembly. He said the tractor still drove and the lift for the belly and 3pt worked great so hopefully it isn't shelled. Oh well I'll will see once I have it on the bench. I figured at 100 for a complete tractor plus the heavy dozer blade it was worth a risk. Anyway this looks like a good place for help when I need it. And Im really excited to see this tank work!

Edited by Sparky180
Add info
  • Like 8
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

bottjernat1

:text-welcomewave:I own a D-160 what great machines these beast are!

IMG_20200531_120445457.jpg

• Like 3

Pollack Pete

How about some pictures? I have a couple D-160's,a D-180,and a D-200.Like all wheel Horse tractors,the D series are great.Sounds like you've got a differential bolt sheared off.But........why was the previous owner splitting the tranny case for,when you change axle seals from the outside??  I think he knew something unhappy was happening inside.First pic is of my D-180.Second pic is my D-200.

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

Edited by Pollack Pete
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Sparky180

20200915_120205.jpg.7836a71fd2c8027a79ba76f260a3ae20.jpgJust a bunch of red Oklahoma dust from a barn and surface rust. The only leaking I see is from the rear assembly. He said it needed axle seals and was leaking at the case seams and needed a new case gasket which was why he was splitting them? IDK. I'll find out once it's apart. If it is grenaded has anyone done a custom rear end set up/ swap?

20200915_120341.jpg

20200915_120304.jpg

Edited by Sparky180
Add info
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 2

bottjernat1

Question is that where the starter solenoid is supposed to be located? Mine is located below the last photo above but behind the bottom panel on the frame.  Im asking because i need to replace mine it is not ground properly and is busted that is why it isnt grounded properly. Im thinking about using a stens one I have but not sure if it will work. 

Edited by bottjernat1

Sparky180

I think he replaced it and just stuck it there? 

• Like 1

bottjernat1

i need the arm and rod off that blade. LOL I have it posted in the wanted add on here. I bought a blade but had to make an arm and rod. 

IMG_20200830_164811095.jpg

IMG_20200830_164826982.jpg

• Like 2

pfrederi

Just look closely at the bottom of the trans case.  Some hove been cracked/punctured by the bolt getting wedged between bull gear and case.  If the case isn't damaged repairs for any damaged gears are easy... Once you have the hubs off which if he had it apart should be easy for you.

Download the Sunstrand manual from here it show how to take transaxle apart...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sparky180

Man. You guys are tons of help! I really appreciate the info. How in the world do those bolts break off? Sounds like it's something not uncommon. Pfrederi thanks for the manual and heads up and bottjernat1 I will definitely check out the channel!

Pollack Pete

Hey Sparky-180.VERY nice D-180 3 point hitch and ag tires.Well worth spending some time and money on.Have fun with your new toy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave: @Sparky180!  Nice purchase!  Once you get the rear end buttoned up you’ll have a sweet machine!  That 3 point is worth more than you paid for the whole thing!

• Excellent 1

pacer

I think @pfrederi has something there ---- The cases arent too bad about leaking at the split point, but the breaking of one of those bolts is quite common and unfortunately all to often as the gears turn they connect with the broken piece and the case will crack (ask me how I know!!) Mine blew cracks in the cast spread out like a spider web. I had some success with brazing it back and was able to continue using it with a leak for some few years til I finally ran across a replacement.

if it turns out that has happened to yours go back with grade 8, or even grade 9 bolts....

• Like 1

Sparky180

Thanks pacer. I'll look for stress fractures. Wonder if you could buy an epoxy liner like you put in a fuel tank to seal it as well? Is there a good source for gaskets, seals, etc or do I need to plan on my making my own gaskets and cross reference bearings and seals?

C_hasbeen
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

yea what he said! Welcome

• Like 1

C_hasbeen

Hold On a minute here!

1)  I thought I was the only one allowed to have transmission problems?

2) how come I never knew wheel horse could come with a three point?

3) where do I find one?

Funny thing is I decided last weekend I needed to upgrade to something bigger than what I currently have and did not have a clue this existed.

excellent looking tractor get pictures when you start tearing this apart so when I get one and brake it I can follow your directions to fix

• Like 1

pacer

"making my own gaskets and cross reference bearings and seals?"

As far as I know the large gasket for the 2 halves are NLA (no longer availiable) But one is pretty easy to make, just get a piece of thinish cardboard (think cereal box) and lay it on the case outline, with a small ball peen tap around all the holes til the cardboard breaks loose sticking a bolt in each hole as you go round (this will hold it in place) Then go all around the perimeter tap, tap, taping til it breaks loose in the shape of the case.....
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi
31 minutes ago, Sparky180 said:

Thanks pacer. I'll look for stress fractures. Wonder if you could buy an epoxy liner like you put in a fuel tank to seal it as well? Is there a good source for gaskets, seals, etc or do I need to plan on my making my own gaskets and cross reference bearings and seals?

Go to the transmission forum here  Pinned to the top is a thread that has bearing and seal cross reference to SFK/National. Also look at the pinned thread for Sunstrand O rings/seals

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/49-transmissions-and-transaxles/

Wheel horse parts and more  (a vendor here) has gaskets and bearings.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/about-us.html

Edited by pfrederi
  • Excellent 1

Sparky180

C_hasbeen that's what got me excited about this little tractor. The 3 PT and power PTO! If I get the gearbox fixed and the pump system works good. Im doing a full resto on it. 

20200915_150404.jpg

• Like 2

C_hasbeen
1 hour ago, Sparky180 said:

C_hasbeen that's what got me excited about this little tractor. The 3 PT and power PTO! If I get the gearbox fixed and the pump system works good. Im doing a full resto on it. 

20200915_150404.jpg

Do you know if this setup has power down on the three point or if it relies on mother nature and gravity?

Sparky180

I believe its power both directions. He said he could raise the tractor off the ground with too much down pressure on some implements

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

• Like 1

Sparky180

Ok. Finally got it torn off the tractor and split. BTW- I couldn't get those hubs off for ANYTHING. I used pullers, made my own out of plate steel, used heat..nothing. So I thought there was enough room to split the case and slide them apart and have room to remove the retaining rings..worked great. I will just press them off once out.  Looks like two broken bolts and no damage to gears or case other than the two places where the caps to the main gear assembly started to break off at the OD. I already found a replacement differential and have it coming. Thankful there is a filter in this thing. You can see in the pictures how much it has caught. Fluid was not red but dark honey colored so I am assuming they used oil in it instead of transmission fluid....but smelled strange? I need to find axle seals, o- rings for reinstalling the hydraulic manifold and make my own case gasket. Anything else I should check?

20210201_210712_HDR.jpg

20210201_210717.jpg

20210201_210729_HDR.jpg

pfrederi

Axle seals are SKF 11124  PM your address I will send you the 6 O rings you need for the manifold to hydro motor and a sealing washer.  Pulling D series hubs is NOT a fun project....

How I did mine

IMG_3209.JPG

• Excellent 2