mariuszaerox

briggs boxer oil

mariuszaerox

Hello, it suits me after the renovation, finally change the oil, now I poured 15w40, should Briggs sae30 go? can't be 10w40 or 15w40 castrol gtx? engine briggs boxer 16 hp

stevasaurus

I would think the 15W40 would be fine for your climate...especially the winter.  :occasion-xmas:  The service manual might ask for straight SAE30 for summer.

mariuszaerox

because in the websites they tell me to lac this sae30, but will there be something of it in the winter? because if it snowed, I would like to put on a plow, although in our now warm winters I doubt it

mariuszaerox

??

• Like 1

bds1984

I have ran synthetic 5W40 diesel oil in many of my air cooled Kohler engines in the winter with no problem and cannot see any issue with using that in Poland in their winters.  However, I am not that familiar with what you have readily available to you on the shelves.  Perhaps Total or Shell Helix 5W40; I've seen it in many places while I was in Finland a few years ago.

mariuszaerox

15w40 Castrol GTX good?

peter lena

think i would question a 15w40 over winter , usually  a recommendation for cold starting would be to go thinner oil like a 5 wt or 10 wt on lower side an a 30 wt on top . a 40 wt changeover would be the question. do you have an engine spec sheet or engine tag telling you what to use ?  you should be able to easily find winter oil information for that engine, a thinner oil will also cut down on a smokey start. pete  

Bill D

I am going to try Lucas 10W-30 synthetic diesel oil.  It has 1281 PPM of zinc.  I don't know if it is available in Poland.  Bill

mariuszaerox

bds1984
8 hours ago, mariuszaerox said:

I think any of those oils would be fine to use for anything above -5°C.  Those engines are simple and tough.  Their biggest concern is that they have oil in them that gets changed regularly.
Do you keep your engine/tractor inside overnight?  I've had a few Briggs boxers over the years but all of them were pressurized lubrication system so I didn't concern myself too much about running 15W40 year-round, but they were also kept inside a small garage.  Is your engine pressure lube or splash lube?  If they're a splash lube, I'd probably lean towards a 5W40 over a 15W40 for the cold months.

mariuszaerox

Hmm a 5w50 ?

mariuszaerox

Hello, I ordered a 15w40 castrol gtx, now we have winters below 0 degrees it is rare, I still have a question about the carburetor, this screw from adjusting the mixture composition as it turns to the right, it adds or removes fuel

mariuszaerox
Castrol 15w40 gtx poured oil, but I worry a bit because when firing the smoke and it is rather blue smoke, earlier I thought it was because I was extinguishing it with the suction, I had no ignition cable connected to extinguishing