Sign in to follow this  
Curmudgeon

Belt guards

Curmudgeon

I'd kind of like to see how many will admit to having done this!

Curmudgeon

Oh come on!!! Am I only the one to be stripped of his britches by getting too close???????? You have noticed Tall Girl doesn't yet have the belt guard on the starter/generator......

I have it, it's just not on yet...............

nylyon

Well, to be honest, I don't run without belt guards. I voted no, but that was because I don't have a PTO belt guard like many of the newer horses do.

combatmp29r

Sorry guys had to vote no. Hard to leave a belt guard off a vert. The frame is the guard :D

Rollerman

I voted no too Dale...never ran one without a drivebelt guard on.... :D

But the son & I have both notched are shoes on a starter/generator belt before...didn't think of that one. :P

T-Mo

Dale,

I voted no, but my vote almost shouldn't count. I've only own horses since July. :D

pond195520032003

I Voted no because i havent yet to catch my clothes in the belt :( i havent had the drive belt guard on my 1075(temporary 6spd trans) for 4 years! :P well it was supposed to be temporary :D i did how ever get ran over by the tractor :(

muka

ALWAYS ALWAYS Have a belt guard on safety first. Plus i have a 7 year old

Curmudgeon

I never meant to imply to not run without one, more, for every story where something happened, it's proof you should!!!

The poll was if you'd caught clothing, not run without, so all the above no answers were correct.

I ran Tall Girl for a long time without, uh, still without even though I have it and lost a pair of britches to her.

Some guys like me just learn slow........................... :D

GlenPettit

I've been lucky so far not having clothing in belt.

My major safety problem is not protecting the eyes ; have had so many close calls (metal or stone chips in the eye) that took hours or weeks to come out. Mostly, just did it for a few seconds, too big a rush to put safety glasses on, you'ld think I'ld learn after 64 years.

Michigan Glen :D

kpinnc

Got my shirt hung up in a Porta-Band today...

Does that count? I was making something FOR a WheelHorse! :D

Kevin

chevelletown

Ya mean I'm supposed to wear clothes when I run the Horses :D No wonder the neighbors never want to borrow one :P

Nick

Guess Im the first one to vote yes and I could vote yes a few times. :P As a kid I mowed with a tractor Dad built from a Wheel Horse transmission and some other wheel horse parts he had found. No belt cover as you might see in the picture. Now this was in the 70s and early 80s so this wasnt jeans, did ya know polyester melts more than tears. :D Should also add we mowed around 3 or 4 acres with that tractor and a 36" WH gear deck.

Clickable thumbnail

th_homebuilt.jpg

Curmudgeon

Nick, did you vote? I only see one yes, and it's MINE! LOL

Nick

I must not have hit the vote button after yes. Guess I am just the first after you to admit to it.

69DEZ

VERTICAL..... On the other hand when working in the garage always remember where you FIRE extinguisher is.... :D

TT

I throw in a couple of my "oops-type" experiences.....

When I was 9 years old, I was on a small riding lawnmower with my 11 year old cousin. I reached down to push the shifter in for low range, and the end of my right "ring finger" got pulled in by the chain and followed it right around the transmission sprocket. Luckily the chain was loose enough, and the bone went between the teeth -- but it still stripped everything off the end of finger -- including the fingernail. A trip to the medical center and 7 stitches got me patched up, and eventually the nail even grew back. My fingerprint is a little different now, and the bone is real close to the end of my finger, making it a bit pointier than the others. :P

I also found out that my home-built grader blade needs to be securely latched when it's angled.... The right side caught a rock and it pushed the blade back under the rear tire, almost rolling the tractor over in the process. If I would have been running more than 6 psi in the tires, it probably would have even blew the tire! A little ripping and jerking in reverse freed it up again, but I still need to weld some safety stops on the blade. :D

Stigian

I have never got me trousers caught up in a drive belt, but then again ive only drive without a belt guard once when id had enough of kneeling in mud changing a busted drive belt in the middle of a field :D

Curmudgeon

OH, of all the little incidences that can happen!!!! Everyone knows what happens when you get a little heat too close to concrete, right?

CasualObserver

yep...POP!

nylyon

And after the POP, I heard "Damnit Karl, you're gonna fix that right?"

Mith

Yes, I've committed the sin of running without belt guards and got caught up before. Infact, I dont have the belt guard on the Commando right now. I must put it back on.

I have had my fair share of accidents. Ran myself over just the other day. Started the tractor in gear (not paying attention), stepped out the way but the outside wheel of the duals caught my foot and started pulling my leg down. Managed to reach the key before it broke my leg.