BHunter

Kohler 181s vacuum fuel pump kit

tom2p
4 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Tried that too Bob mine was just too stiff, brittle and dried out for further service. 

sometimes petroleum jelly - vaseline or similar - will work on brittle rubber etc 

but when they are at a certain point probably nothing will work ... need to be replaced 

• Thanks 1

BHunter
3 hours ago, tom2p said:

music to my ears !

the Kohler in our 704 was similar - the pullstart barely engaged but just a small amount was enough and it would fire immediately 

ran like this for over 20+ years - just a few spark plug changes ... never touched the points 

I was shocked how good it runs. I just bought it non running the other day and took a chance that the motor is ok. The entire carb and fuel pump were filled with old gas slime. I cleaned everything and cleaned the points.  it fired right up. I love these old Kohlers. Today I changed the transmission filter and fluid. The hydro works good too. Tomorrow will be the test drive. After that,  the full restoration will begin. 
I’m glad you like the video. 

• Like 2

WHX??
3 minutes ago, BHunter said:

how good it runs.

Excellent Bob:handgestures-thumbupright:

Buckrancher got ahold of me and does have those diaphragms if you need . 

Thanks again EB

Edited by WHX24
  • Excellent 1

BHunter
2 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Excellent Bob:handgestures-thumbupright:

Buckrancher got ahold of me and does have those diaphragms if you need . 

Thanks again EB

Thank you.
I would like to get one for a backup. i want to keep it original as possible. 
I messaged Buckrancher but he hasn’t read the email yet. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
Just now, BHunter said:

Thank you.
I would like to get one for a backup. i want to keep it original as possible. 
I messaged Buckrancher but he hasn’t read the email yet. 

Be patient with him Bob. :handgestures-thumbup:

They have been spending more time at the cottage I understand so it may take a bit for him to respond. 

• Like 1

BHunter
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Be patient with him Bob. :handgestures-thumbup:

They have been spending more time at the cottage I understand so it may take a bit for him to respond. 

Hi Eric. 
I understand. I wish I had a cottage to escape to. I’d be there right now too. 
I appreciate you reaching out to him and trying to help us out.

thanks, Bob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, BHunter said:

I wish I had a cottage to escape to. ******. 
I appreciate you reaching out to him and trying to help us out.

thanks, Bob 

.......and people we know wonder why we live where we do. 

Stuck in the woods in the peace and quiet. 

Not quite a cottage but it'll do. 

:handgestures-thumbup:

Glad to help. Anytime. 

• Excellent 1

BHunter
On 8/27/2020 at 3:38 PM, WHX24 said:

Good Luck Bob, I'm in the same boat with a 161. Fellas told me to get ahold of @buckrancher as he has some. PMed him a week ago but no response yet.

Worse comes to worse may try procuring some diaphragm material and making my own.  

Even bought cheapy kits for the cam lever ones off fleabay to rebuild a couple of those and still no luck getting a working pump. 

Guessing you got the cock open and it's not plugged in the tank? 

It was running good for a while but now the carb started surging and it died. There is oil in my fuel filter. I wonder if it is doing through the diaphragm and mixing with the gas. I thought my rubber fuel lines were breaking deteriorating and causing the black color. I replaced the lines and it’s still black.
Is it possible for oil to travel back to the fuel filter? 

• Like 1

WHX??

Probably leaking back thru a ruptured diaphram. Mine were so old and brittle wouldn't have take much to rip them. Gotta remember the topside the diaphragm sees crank oil. Pattienltly awaiting Buckranchers reply. 

BHunter
7 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Probably leaking back thru a ruptured diaphram. Mine were so old and brittle wouldn't have take much to rip them. Gotta remember the topside the diaphragm sees crank oil. Pattienltly awaiting Buckranchers reply. 

I bet you’re right. I’m glad it lasted as long as it did so I could find out if the trans worked.  Now I can tear it down to the frame and have it sand blasted. 
I’m hoping we can get the diaphragms. I like keeping them original. It pumps a good amount of fuel out when it’s working right. 

BHunter

I received the diaphragm from @buckrancher and Rebuilt the fuel pump today. It works great. 830AD659-E67C-4C51-A2A1-BD8543F9DB57.jpeg.3e372077569e4a253c5aaa1af30a586f.jpeg7012B58C-898B-4A53-8AEE-85217366AE06.png.9dfd2ba8f4742bc84927ca5e1d78d06b.png

EEB57BBD-CFBB-47AF-9D15-422A300B93A6.jpeg

EBE7A90B-E488-4BDD-9A10-FCC04DA1D002.jpeg

4C9408E9-1444-4999-A94C-B38AF1CB47C4.jpeg

72DD5006-B8E1-4690-A65D-7D5E3E4B7CAB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Elliot Garfinkel

Hi I find myself in the same fuel pump situation I sent a message  to @buckrancher hopefully  the diaphragm is still available but I was wondering how you disassembled the valves in the pump any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

Jennifer

This is a mechanical fuel pump and it has a different diaphragm but the other mechanisms would at least give you an idea how it goes together!  Hope it helps!image.gif.511f4a8b4695b44f603251ca2d094526.gif

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Elliot Garfinkel

Hi all so I ordered a kit from now and then but not sure it will work except for the diaphragm my pump doesn't have valve plate so not sure if rebuild able by me at least.this was after last season running for 2 hrs then system drained and ran dry did motor and tried starting this season.Thanks20201002_130433.jpg.b79f3ca873677f19e91378592e579bd4.jpg

20201003_101037.jpg

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Elliot Garfinkel said:

Hi all so I ordered a kit from now and then but not sure it will work except for the diaphragm my pump doesn't have valve plate so not sure if rebuild able by me at least.this was after last season running for 2 hrs then system drained and ran dry did motor and tried starting this season.Thanks20201002_130433.jpg.b79f3ca873677f19e91378592e579bd4.jpg

20201003_101037.jpg

Did the kit come with a correct diaphragm?

Maybe a clean and reuse in the rest of it. 

All that slime is the result of previous ethanol usage. 

• Like 1

Elliot Garfinkel

I just ordered kit yesterday looks like right diaphragm I might call them and see if they didnt ship yet maybe send the pump to them put kit money to rebuild.As far as the ethanol I've been try to remove most of it by adding water to gas ,ethanol separates and drain somewhat ethanol less gas.(via utube)Although I noticed a good amount of rust in pump maybe from water in the stained gas.All new lines,filter And tank thoroughly cleaned,Thanks for quick response

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Elliot Garfinkel said:

I just ordered kit yesterday looks like right diaphragm I might call them and see if they didnt ship yet maybe send the pump to them put kit money to rebuild.As far as the ethanol I've been try to remove most of it by adding water to gas ,ethanol separates and drain somewhat ethanol less gas.(via utube)Although I noticed a good amount of rust in pump maybe from water in the stained gas.All new lines,filter And tank thoroughly cleaned,Thanks for quick response

You're certainly doing the right thing trying to remove the ethanol. 

Not sure if there an issue with rust as I've never tried it. 

Perhaps others will chime in to comment on the rebuild. 

@Achto @WHX24 @953 nut 

• Like 1

WHX??

That is a pump I have not seen before. What tractor/motor  is it off of?

• Like 1

Elliot Garfinkel

It is off of k161s  from my 702

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Elliot Garfinkel said:

It is off of k161s  from my 702

I haven't looked at the parts from then and now for awhile. 

Seems they sell a rebuild kit for a pump with a lever. Yours may only require a diaphragm from @buckrancher Brian and a good cleaning. 

• Like 1

Elliot Garfinkel

That would be to easy it would be very rare that I would get off easy but you never know I'm going to call now and then and see what they think

• Like 1

WHX??

Couple more pics of the rest of the body please Elliot. Does it have a lever?

I'm thinking a PO changed it at some time. Yours should look like Bob's BHunter above. His is a eight horse but should be the same.

I have no idea how to get those valves out but they should come out somehow. Maybe you shouldn't try but just try and clean in place and flush good with a can of brake cleaner. The white gunk is oxidation from water. 

Elliot Garfinkel

Thanks for the response it doesn't have a lever I'm pretty sure it's an original kohler  part here is some more pics

20201004_195855.jpg

20201004_195822.jpg

20201004_195834.jpg

Elliot Garfinkel

Hi all so I just got my pump back from now and then complete rebuild  it was only a couple of dollars more than kit plus shipping fee

20201014_120017.jpg

20201014_122544_002.jpg

20201014_115949.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

That thing looks fantastic. I didn't know they did the rebuilds themselves as well as selling parts.

Something to remember there. 

• Like 1