D_Mac

Another "Other Brand"

Razorback

That is a beautiful IH Cub Cadet! It looks like it was kept in good condition.

Those are another example of a well-built, heavy-duty GT from "back in the day".

You're gonna love it!

• Thanks 1

T-Mo

The 3 speed gear drive IH built Cub Cadets used a transmission that was in the Farmall Cub.  That's why a lot of pullers prefer the CCs.  The 106, 126, 107, 127s were the last of the narrow frame tractors.  Their replacement, 108, 128, 109, 129, and 149 were wide frame tractors.  A lot of the CC guys refer the wide frame ones due to the increase space for access when they need to work on them.  Myself, I refer the narrow frame ones, except for the Original (just never like the low driving position).

I can't find my 106 manuals, but if I'm not mistaken you will find the serial number on the transmission to determine year.

serialnumber.pdf

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

I cant seem to find my numbers in your chart I believe my serial number is 2050037u382203. March of 71 ?  Well this Cub and I are not off to a good start. After I hosed it down last night it wouldnt start. I figured it would start this AM after it dried out some. ..... Nope ..... Still wont start. Started everytime before I hosed it. Ughhhhh !

Edited by D_Mac

D_Mac

Well gentleman , this is where I ask for HELP AGAIN. Just went out there to see if it would start this AM.... nope. So I pulled the plug touched it to ground, cranked it, no spark. Swapped out the plug with a different one, no spark. I changed the plug/coil wire to a different one I had. Still no spark. Put my hand on the coil and it was warm, not hot but warm. I am guessing next I check the points? I believe the only safety features is that is has to be in neutral and press the clutch / brake. Where should I look next? it ran perfectly fine until I sprayed it with the hose. The good news is..... I looked under the seat and indeed there is a set of tire chains. There was a 15 ft nice tow chain. A ball hitch and a dumb bell. All in there for added weight Im sure. So if any of you guys can point me in the right direction I will see if I can get in running again. Hate to send it off to my mechanic. If I do I wont see it untill November Im sure. Ughhhh I always wash any machine I get. Most of the time with a power washer, this has never happened before. 

20200816_102853.jpg

20200816_102919.jpg

20200816_102900.jpg

20200816_102938.jpg

diesel cowboy

If it was running till you hosed it off the points probably got wet.  Pull the cover off and run a piece of sand paper or brown paper bag if you have it through them and it should have spark again.  Had that happen to me several times on different machines.  The bottom screw on the points cover is a real pain to get at sometimes and can be difficult to get back in without a screw starter.  Dropped more than one down next to the engine on those before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darb1964

They are a good tractor, solid and hold up good.

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

I know what you are saying about the bottom screw. I took the top screw off and loosened the bottom. Pulled the cover away a little bit and took a hair dryer and blew in there. It didnt work. I am going to have to wait untill I can push it into the driveway. It is raining here and there is no room in my garage to move around in. Need to sell one of theses !!! Tractor Anyone ??? Pick one out !!

20200813_145715.jpg

squonk

Do have a compressor and blow gun?  Take the coil wire off and blast air into the coil & points. Leave the hair dryer in the house! 

D_Mac

LOL oddly enough I have a hair dryer but no hair. My compressor STB I have to get a new one. Maybe my leaf blower will do something. The beast is so hard to push, I think the brakes are hanging up. Looking to see how I can adjust them. I can barely push the thing. @squonk the wiring is a mess. They hacked it all up. Some spots just wire nuts, not even taped up. Thinking its going to need professional help.

squonk

Next time you think you need to drag another tractor home, drag a compressor home instead! 

• Haha 1

D_Mac

Tractors speak to me. Compressors do not !

• Haha 2

squonk
32 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Tractors speak to me. Compressors do not !

And here you are ,   STUCK!  Get a compressor and make your life easier. Yes the compressor won't make you a profit you can see in your wallet, but the time and frustration a compressor can save you from is invaluable.

• Like 1

bc.gold
16 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Well here I am again. In the " other brand " section of a Wheel Horse Forum. Its like my own little section down here

• Haha 2

D_Mac

Well just got home and tried it again...... nothing ! Tomorrow I will try a light sand on the points. Better work or I will have to pass it on to someone else. < fingers crossed > :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Redneckdavis

That cub is mint! Very nice score. .

And that is an odd and interesting choice of fenders on your grey and black tractor. I like.

Btw. I found a real "point file" at one of the big box stores and few months ago. I think it was oreilys. No need for the sandpaper

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

@Redneckdavis That gray and black one is a 1964 Lambert 655. One of the coolest tractors ever made in my opinion. Been working on that one a long time. I even have the deck for it. Almost finished. Here are before and after photos.

20200501_202005.jpg

20200715_110751.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Heart 1

Redneckdavis

That is definitely very cool. I can see why all the effort. Very nice job.

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

So after it dried out I still couldnt get it to start. This AM i took the cover off the points, slid a piece of sand paper between them and it fired up. Let it run for a bit. Then I jumped on it and took it for a little spin. I tell you what, this thing is FAST. Surprisingly Fast ! 3rd gear with full throttle its moving. I need to figure out how to adjust the brakes. Brakes are soft and I bet if it was going down hill it wouldnt stop it. Never had disc brakes so it will be a learning experience. So after my joy ride I cleaned the rims and got some paint out. Painted all 4 rims inside and out. Painted the wire mesh on the front grill. I can tell someone had painted this years ago. Did an ok job but I am not going to try and repaint it. I noticed a hole in the deck so I am going to get it welded. I reached my hand under and can tell it needs scrapping. Who knows what I will find doing that. Any Cub guys give me any pointers on removing the deck? I guess it comes in two pieces. Not sure if I have to remove both parts or if I can just remove the deck and leave the cradle or if I have to remove both parts. So its looking and running better. Not finished yet but here it is now.

20200817_161143.jpg

20200817_154845.jpg

20200817_154912.jpg

20200817_154815.jpg

20200817_154831.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Redneckdavis

That thing is sweet. . Not 100% sure on your deck bc I don't have one with mine. But what's left of the mechanism/ linkage is a horizontal bar with a threaded rod and lock but going down to it. At the rear of the bar is a pin/peg sticking out with cotter pin hole. I'd take it loose there.

Front has a locking mechanism built into axle pivot or in front of. 

From what I remember very similar to a modern craftsman, troybilt, everyday kinda mower. 

I had used the stock lift to hold my pulling weight so I could lift it and lower it with the stock handle:) 

• Thanks 1

diesel cowboy

Here's the brake adjustment procedure from the service manual: 

20200817_215206.jpeg.7f1e4ecad1b97e78c524d4c8f09f1fc4.jpeg

20200817_214936.jpeg.4258e038d416885cb7685ec8253218c0.jpeg

The lock nut the instructions refer to is on the front of #10 in the picture.  It may be a lock nut or it may be 2 jam nuts.  It could come both ways depending on the year.

And here's the deck removal.  It shows a 124 but everything is the same:

20200817_214631.jpg.00c8cf07e89b4cacfaa1f6502437b806.jpg

20200817_214541.jpg.429a3a17f0e4fca43f94f98664d5b0e1.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

@diesel cowboy Thanks I will try tomorrow. Are you a fan of these early Cubs? Never had one before. Them seem to be built very well but dont seem to be as easy to work on as a Wheel Horse from same time period. Nice tractor.

Edited by D_Mac

Razorback

I LOVE those early Cubs!

I have a 1966 model 123, the first hydrostatic they made. Mine is very much like yours with the exception of the hydro and 2 more horsepower. I have a mower deck and a tiller for mine...... mainly bought the tractor to use the tiller in the garden, and it works exceptionally well.

They are built like a tank, the rear end is almost indestructible, and will last at least a couple of lifetimes with a little care.

• Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

My first ever L&G was a CC106 with the creeper a 42" deck and snow plow (1st and last pic). Wish I had never gotten rid of it... But I found myself a 126 with creeper drive (hi/lo box) and headlights but frozen engine also 42" and plow.

IMAG3874.jpg

20191215_144337.jpg

20191215_144347.jpg

20191215_144403_HDR.jpg

20191215_144342.jpg

IMAG3875.jpg

diesel cowboy
13 hours ago, D_Mac said:

@diesel cowboy Thanks I will try tomorrow. Are you a fan of these early Cubs? Never had one before. Them seem to be built very well but dont seem to be as easy to work on as a Wheel Horse from same time period. Nice tractor.

I guess you could say I'm a fan of them.  I have at least one of every series made from the Original to the last of the IH built 82 series plus a few of the MTD built 82 series and a LTX1040.  My family used to sell them from 1961 to 2010 when MTD decided we weren't selling enough of what they wanted us to sell and pulled our franchise.  I even have an Original that my grandpa sold and delivered new and my dad and uncle restored in the 80's plus 4 of the 82 series my dad sold new and a Spirit of 76 lawn tractor that my grandpa either bought new or picked up slightly used a couple years after.

They're overbuilt for what they were designed to do back then.  As for working on them I guess it's all a matter of what you're used to working on.  I find most of the Cadets easier to work on than pretty much everything else and once you learn all the little tricks it seems to take half the time that it did to do things to them

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1