wh315-8

701 with rockshaft on right side.

wh315-8

So just picked up a 701, obviously the engine isn't right. I have a 7hp Kohler to put on and will put B&S on my Speedex. Anyone ever seen a post come out on the right from the rock shaft? It rotates with the lift handle and has no holes in it. It was done up well, almost looking factory.

20200815_155027.jpg

20200815_155158.jpg

20200815_155146.jpg

• Excellent 4

oliver2-44

That one looks a little rough, but its a 701 definitely worth saving. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Where did you find that??  I love the patina.  I can't stop looking at it.  I don't think the rock shaft sticking out the right side is factory, but it looks like it was done when this horse stopped being used...or just before.  Dang, if those tires don't look like they are original.  Is there a story behind this gal???  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

wh315-8
8 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

That one looks a little rough, but its a 701 definitely worth saving. 

My thoughts as well and it will be. Already had a hood and seat just waiting for this one.

wh315-8

Actually the seller didn't have front tires on it. So I brought my own.  But they came off a Suburban 400 I previously bought that had an extra set of the RJ35 style. But the rims are yellow so may even be from that other brand tractor. The rear tires may look good but are trashed from sitting flat but rolled over hold the tractor up, amazingly. PO had bought it for parts but couldn't do it, since he has one already and knows the uniqueness of this model. This is my 2nd and they are 61 numbers apart. I already have a second mower RMR3661 that came with another package deal. They say these are hard to find but they fell in my saddle bag with out hardly looking.

20190715_193500.jpg

• Like 1

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, wh315-8 said:

They say these are hard to find but they fell in my saddle bag with out hardly looking.

:text-yeahthat:

Edited by oliver2-44

stevasaurus

I think the mower deck, that is specific to that horse, is what is hard to find at this point.  Nice find.:occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Crick
      By Crick
      Original Wheel Horse dump cart wanted, no offense but not another brand with WH decals. 
      thank you
      Crick
    • oliver2-44
      By oliver2-44
      This one was on Marketplace for quite a while with a hefty price tag.  I ask if he was flexible on price, Nope.  After a quite a while longer same question before I made the drive.  Come on up, maybe we can make a deal.  The rest is history, I didn't steal it, but I'm happy with the deal!
      Ya I know you want pictures, but there a little more interesting back story.  His granddad's business was Nicholson Machine and Equipment and he was a Wheelhorse Dealer in the 50's and 60's in Paris....., Tx  that is!  He sent me this picture of the glass window from the door to the business that he has framed.  

He also wrote me a short note about his Granddad's business.  So after his he passed, his dad gave the tractor to him. he's had it for quite a few years and said it's always been garage kept.

So if a Dealer owned this for his own use and never sold it, and then it passed to his Son, and then Grandson, that would technically make me the 1st buyer, 

Ok so on to some tractor photo's

beautiful double pulley belt guard front and center.  It starts with a spray of gas in the carb, but doesn't stay running.

All there, nice and original, you can see a weld repair on the front of the belt guard,

Here's the serial number @gwest_ca

The plastic dash is intact and not cracked!

My 1st old style split key.

it still has the orignal Silverton Ags. They hold air, but their so hard they probable don't need any.  I wonder if their hard because they might still have calcium chloride in them???

The hitch pin isn't frozen and the lift cable even works.

Interesting decal plastered across the front of the hood.

aluminum gas tank is fairly clean.

Hood bottom tab has been repaired.

topless view of the engine, needs a bath. The front tires are original and hold air, but have some splits across the thread.

Homemade choke and throttle cable bracket.  The base of the engine has wet oil, so i suspect it needs some gaskets.

Both axle seals are dry, but the input shaft and brake shaft seals leak.

I've learned if the top of the transmission is filthy oily, it probable means theirs water in the transmission that has floated the oil out.  This one is clean so hopefully that's a good sign.

Started some maintenance and a beautiful sight, not a drop of water, just black oil.  It shifts through the gears nicely so it will be interesting to see how it runs/drives.
      I'll gradually go all through it with my checklist.  701 Minor Overhaul Checklist.ods

Then have to decide if I rub it down with linseed oil like it is, or buff with some steel wool or wet sand to bring a little more red out, then oil. 
      How would ya'll put your finishing touches on it?

I'll update this thread as I do maintenance on it and get it running.

• blu_stang
      By blu_stang
      Hi All, It's time for me to sell the D-250 I've had for the last 8 years.  It’s useable as is, or would be a great project bundle for further restoration.

I am selling a large package: the running tractor, a refurbished snowblower (48”), parts snowblower, mower deck (60”), tiller (40”), front plow blade (60”), Cat 0 3-Point Hitch with adjustable top link, WH 3-Point tool bar, wheel weights and tire chains.  Also included is an extensive part collection, nearly a second tractor worth.  I will include the original manuals, an original 1976 sales brochure, and repair manuals for the tractor and the engine.  I made electronic copes of all of the above, and stored the paper copies to prevent further wear. This is one of the most complete D-250 tractor/attachment bundles I’ve seen.

Some highlights from the available parts: Frame rails, extra engine, water pump, extra transaxle, extra gears, including worm gears (stored in oil bath), Front wheel set, carburetor, carb rebuild kit, rebuildable original radiator, extra radiator overflow bottle, rebuilt alternator, new voltage regulator (I was planning to change over to an alternator setup from the generator), new in package Renault engine seals, new PTO seals, ignition maintenance parts.  There are also many panels, frame pieces, cables, levers, tubes (lines) and hardware in the collection.

The tractor engine runs smooth.  There are around 1050 original hours on it; It’s a 1976 edition.  Everything works, except the dash lights and the rear lights (disconnected b/c of fender).  I just haven't sorted out the wiring, but it is all there.  Headlights are good and working, as are all of the gears and levers.  The four tires are nearly new Carlisle Multi Trac, with nubs still on them.  The rear tires have been filled (ballasted) with Rim Guard for extra traction.  The hydraulic pump, front PTO clutch and brakes operate but could use a tune up.  I’ve used it for mowing and snowblowing on hills, driveway and around my land. I don’t have an original WH seat.  The snowblower was rebuilt a few years back, and assembled with all new hardware and bearings.  The mower deck gearbox was professionally serviced recently, and has a new set of blades with only a half dozen mows.  The rear fender needs a repair, but all pieces are available.  The plow and tiller are due for restoration.  The Points, Condenser and rotor have all been replaced and tuned in.  The battery is good.  I've rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel pump and changed out the plugs within the last 30 hours.  The replacement radiator is from a Kawasaki engine; it was installed with new hoses. There are also new custom hydraulic hoses and a new hydraulic lift cylinder.

Here's a video of me mowing, this past summer.

Transporting this haul in one trip will require a pickup truck and a large trailer.  

• chompinthebit
      By chompinthebit
      I mostly retreated a picture from the 1961 dealer sales flyer I have that shows a lineup of optional accessories.

the accessories are the suburban fender and tool box option, tombstone weight, stepped foot rests, and seat hinge.

I have not seen another seat hinge like this besides the one I own.

The sign I show in my pic is also the hard to find circa 1961 plastic sales and service sign that is also pictured in the same paperwork.

• chompinthebit
      By chompinthebit
      Hi all,

i bought this 1961 701 in fall of 2018 and restored it. I completed it in fall of 2019 and I wanted to show some pictures of before during and after I got it done. I did my research and tried to make this tractor as close to original as possible. The few exceptions are tires, wiring and the steering support. Not a perfect tractor but sure is nice enough for me. 

all stainless hardware
      Rustolium stops rust Primer
      Rustolium Regal Red enamel paint
      powder coated wheels and seat
      Glenn Pettit Reproduction dash