chompinthebit

701 restoration

troutbum70

Beautifully done

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Very nice.

Post your serial number and will add to the list.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wfrpalm

Nice job.

• Thanks 1

WHNJ701

Looks very nice, the 701s are unique, looks like you have all the correct pieces.

• Thanks 1

Racinbob

Excellent job!! :bow-yellow:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Wonderful work!

• Thanks 1

Lane Ranger

Ryan you have the skills for sure to do what needs to be done to fully restore and even enhance a 60 year old Wheel Horse tractor!   Great job on the redo! The 701 is one of the classic models and a collector favorite!  

1A8155AD-7DAB-40C5-B646-5E777FEAEDBE.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Wow! :bow-blue: Check this out @Achto

The HL's & shower head really make that tractor! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

chompinthebit
11 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

Ryan you have the skills for sure to do what needs to be done to fully restore and even enhance a 60 year old Wheel Horse tractor!   Great job on the redo! The 701 is one of the classic models and a collector favorite!  

Thanks Lane! I really appreciate the compliments 

• Excellent 1

chompinthebit
4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Very nice.

Post your serial number and will add to the list.

Garry

Hi Garry,

this one is SN 48862

i also have another one that is SN 59366

thank you

Ryan

• Like 1

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, Lane Ranger said:

Who made the plaques?

• Like 1

chompinthebit
54 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Who made the plaques?

They are from “The Badge Factory” in Gettysburg. 

https://thebadgefactory.com/home/

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Whow, pretty great resto.

beautiful.

• Thanks 1

rmaynard

Great job. My 701 was a fun restoration because it was so unique. A one-of-kind tractor. I love your HL-5 headlights and showerhead muffler.

• Thanks 1

chompinthebit
1 minute ago, rmaynard said:

Great job. My 701 was a fun restoration because it was so unique. A one-of-kind tractor. I love your HL-5 headlights and showerhead muffler.

Thank you! I found it challenging and rewarding for the same reasons. These tractors are pretty unique. I’d still like to find a set of the domed lens bugeyes for it yet instead of the more common HL-5 it has if I can find a set. Thank you though for the compliment!

WHNJ701

Yeah hopefully jacktown is a go, it's close for me too.  As usual,  I always got too much going on to bring tractors to show for the weekend.

• Like 1

scWHhauler

Nice job looks super 

• Thanks 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:        Wow, that is a show stopper, looks like it just came off the dealer's showroom floor. Perfect right down to the key ring tag!         :bow-blue:

C05D8281-B105-4092-8D8C-AA7A240D632F.jpeg

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

chompinthebit
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:        Wow, that is a show stopper, looks like it just came off the dealer's showroom floor. Perfect right down to the key ring tag!         :bow-blue:

C05D8281-B105-4092-8D8C-AA7A240D632F.jpeg

Thank you very much I really appreciate that! I got that key ring tag with some original paperwork for a mid 80’s machine. I can’t loose the tractor because it glows in the dark 🤣

WHX??

Question here fellas were those  dashes just plain like that or have decals? Dan and I both have 701 restos in our future so starting to research on correctness. Not sure about @Achto but I'm thinking about this being my first "as built" resto. Or as close as one can get. Mine is going to get built with parts that Dan and hopefully Kev @pullstart has. 

BTW thanks for the tip on those signs Chompin & real nice folks to deal with. One on order for the wife's 702! 

20200419_142926.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

dclarke

Very nice job on your 701!  A unique model for sure. 

• Thanks 1

chompinthebit
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Question here fellas were those  dashes just plain like that or have decals? Dan and I both have 701 restos in our future so starting to research on correctness. Not sure about @Achto but I'm thinking about this being my first "as built" resto. Or as close as one can get. Mine is going to get built with parts that Dan and hopefully Kev @pullstart has. 

BTW thanks for the tip on those signs Chompin & real nice folks to deal with. One on order for the wife's 702! 

20200419_142926.jpg

The dash should be just plain. The dash the way I have is proper from all the research I have done. The only difference is that in the manual you will see the orientation of the throttle and choke different because originally they had them both on the left side. After the dash’s started breaking from all the stress put on them from pulling the cables they went to the orientation like I have them on my 701. There are a handful of originals out there with the other orientation but very few. The ameter with the black bezel and 0-15 amp range is also proper.

if you have any questions when you go to donyour restoration please feel free to ask. I have done pretty extensive research on these 701’s and own pretty much all the literature out there for them.

Edited by chompinthebit
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

WHX??
13 minutes ago, chompinthebit said:

originally they had them both on the left side.

This I did not know...... interesting. I think what makes a 701 the most interesting tractor, to us :wh: nuts anyway, is that they were the first in a few things for the Ponds back then so is was definitely a learning curve for them.  I mean look at how the rest of our round and even square hoods evolved from the 701. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

oilwell1415

Great job on that resto.

• Thanks 1