Pullstart

Doh! “Stab wound” 1 - Left hand still 0

Pullstart

Jonah, a radiant slab is more efficient and comfortable than forced air, hands down!  A boiler will indirectly heat the water heater tank plus act as the slab heater, with zone control.

• Like 4

ZXT
12 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Jonah, a radiant slab is more efficient and comfortable than forced air, hands down!  A boiler will indirectly heat the water heater tank plus act as the slab heater, with zone control.

Very cool. Learn new things every day. I've wired maybe two new houses over the last couple of years that have had in-floor heating, but haven't seen it before it got covered up. 

Not something that is commonly installed around here, that's for sure!

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Up here among the FROZEN CHOSEN, we continually look for methods of heating our homes, shops, businesses in efficient and healthy ways.  It is hard to describe how well radiant heat works.  Because you are actually heating the massive slab of crete and using that to heat the structure it works very well.  My uncle has this heat source in his shop and loves it. It is amazing how fast the space recovers when he opens the big door in the winter to move in or out a piece of machinery.  Kevin could talk much more about the technical side of it because he has worked in that industry.  I know from experience that it is a much more consistent form of heat than forced air because the heat rising from the warmed slab warms every area of the structure.  Any given calendar year our hottest day can be around 95 to 100F and our coldest can be around -20 to -30F degrees.  I guess that not only means we are crazy for living here but also that we have to be prepared to cool but especially to heat😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I won’t mention whacking the back of the same hand with a hammer just days after the stitches, but the cut is healing well and I clipped the stitches out the other day.  

A370F416-4DC4-4A58-B3C0-E24C4CF36A96.jpeg

• Like 3

Pullstart

Look at this guy!  I grabbed my knife... then put it back and grabbed the nippers!

46807FCC-9EF6-4BCF-8275-B0AE7A19BC95.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tractorhead

Lesson learned... 👍

• Thanks 1

rjg854

Glad to see you are healing well :handgestures-thumbupright:.  Let's see how long you can go before something else happens ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

tom2p

on the subject of radiant heat - by far the most comfortable house I've been in during a cold winter day was a house with radiant heat ... didn't want to leave 

Frank Lloyd Wright designed houses often featured radiant heat 

• Excellent 1

tom2p
On 8/13/2020 at 11:47 PM, pullstart said:

are you familiar with the electric mats that are inserted into the adhesive (thin-set or whatever) on a tile floor ?

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, tom2p said:

are you familiar with the electric mats that are inserted into the adhesive (thin-set or whatever) on a tile floor ?

I am, but am not sold on electronics inside the floor.  I’d rather see an electric heat source used to push radiant heat through the tubes than running the electrical itself in the floor.  Might be just my mindset...

• Thanks 1

8ntruck
8 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Lesson learned... 👍

Remember - you get knowledge from your mistakes and wisdom from others mistakes.

Thanks Kevin for providing us all with a little bit of wisdom.  :teasing-poke:

• Haha 3

AMC RULES

Yeah, what not to do! 

• Thanks 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, tom2p said:

We have that in both of our bathrooms, feels good on a cold morning to have warm tile floors. The cats love it too.

7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

you get knowledge from your mistakes

Kevin must know A LOT!

• Thanks 2

Pullstart
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Remember - you get knowledge from your mistakes and wisdom from others mistakes.

Thanks Kevin for providing us all with a little bit of wisdom.  :teasing-poke:

7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Kevin must know A LOT!

:ROTF:

• Haha 1

953 nut

790876487_Schoolofhardknocks.jpg.939b9411537d90b6f67a138f3b702636.jpg

• Like 1
  • Heart 1