tallen4392

tire removal

tallen4392

Does anyone remove there own tires from the rim to paint the rim or do they bring them somewhere to have them removed ...

ebinmaine

if you really need to remove them go get yourself a harbor freight tire changer. Trina bought us one two or three years ago and it's been one of the best things she's ever bought.

if you're only going to be doing it to paint the rims, use the playing card trick.

Leave the tires on and line it with a deck of old cards then mask off the cards.

• Like 3

tallen4392

I will check out harbor freight  because I think I need to sandblast the rims to do it right.  thanks

• Like 2

tallen4392

do you have the mini tire changer or the other  it nice to know if someone has used it before  thanks

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, tallen4392 said:

do you have the mini tire changer or the other  it nice to know if someone has used it before  thanks

We have the larger of the two. Not the mini one.

Best advice I can give you.

FIRMLY ATTACH IT TO THE FLOOR.

• Like 1

DET

I actually have both. The big one for rear and the small one for the front tires. They both work really well, just remember to lube the bead.

• Like 2

tallen4392

I think either one should do the front and back tires I will get one tomorrow with a coupon 30 something dollars good price

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, tallen4392 said:

back tires

For the back tires you will want the full size one.

I'm not sure if there is a great way to lock a Wheelhorse rim on to the Mini Changer.

You can use it to break the beads of the front.

Once the front beads are broken I use spoons that I made from huge screwdrivers to remove the tires.

wallfish

The big one will not work for the front rims. The post is too large to fit through the hole of those rims. I have both sizes also. Makes fairly quick work of them. Get yourself a strap while you're there too. Helps to fill the tires back up.

• Like 2

tallen4392

I watched the videos they both look like they will scratch the heck out of rims looks like u would have to take tires off sandblast rims  install tires but leave them flat and paint the rims then air them up will that mini machine  fit the rear rims 

• Like 2

tallen4392

So I guess to do the front and back rims  I need both the tire changers is that true ???

Rob R

I never take off a tire without putting a tube in when putting back on.... saves all kinds of hassle and re-do especially when the tires are getting a bit dry rotted. 

• Like 3

953 nut

For the front tires I have a piece of 3/4" all thread through the work bench, holds the rim in place well. To protect the newly painted rims I cut the fingers from some old leather gloves an slip them over the tire irons.

102_3442.JPG.5b8be45117722435bbe55a07e52535e3.JPG861120161_102_3444(1).JPG.8d37b86589fd18c0b998294515bc7ddd.JPG660624763_102_3445(1).JPG.82cd5fcd435c50dffa60372acfe72d1c.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

pacer

Ive broke the bead on a few dozen of both front and rears with the the big HF -- I say 'broke the bead' because thats all I can get it to do. Its too flimsy to remove the tire off the rim, but once its broken loose its relatively easy to pry the tire off with conventional spoons. And, I also dont even think about putting one back without a tube!! Find you a pallet/skid and mount the changer on it.

If the tire is good I just sandblast the rim with the tire mounted, doesnt hurt it, in fact it improves the look usually. I have a 2x48" belt sander and I save the worn belts and wrap one around the rim to keep the paint off the tire......

• Like 1

tallen4392

You can brake the beads on the front rims with a bench vise very easy I was farting around with them open vise just about all the way and boom the broke when I tightened the vise  no for the rears

• Like 1

rick

Most modern car/light truck tire changers will handle the 12" rear rims, both to break the bead and remove the tire. I like the bench vise idea for the front tires, I'm going to try that.

• Like 1

tallen4392

It worked great a little prying with a tire spoon helped too

tom2p

I use a big C clamp to break the bead 

motorcycle tire irons to remove and install the tires 

motorcycle tie down strap around the tire to seat the tire bead to the wheel (if I don't have a tube - ughhh hate tubeless !)

old fashioned Go-Jo or similar hand cleaner as a lube to mount and dismount the tire 

Edited by tom2p

rick

Tubeless is good until the tires get dry rot, or sit with a flat all winter and crack.  Easy to fix a puncture in a tubeless tire.

bds1984

On 8/11/2020 at 4:43 PM, ebinmaine said:

We have the larger of the two. Not the mini one.

Best advice I can give you.

FIRMLY ATTACH IT TO THE FLOOR.

If you cannot mount it to the floor, I have mine fastened to a 2" hitch that goes in my receiver on my C165.  I have the mini tire changer from Harbor Freight and it works great for me for all the garden tractor sized tires; 8-12" tires it works fine but the 6" tires are a pain to do but I also have other tire irons/forks/spoons than what comes in the box.  

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

I have the small one and it works pretty good, I just clamp the changer in my big vise instead of bolting it down. You have to really crank down on the center rod to keep it from spinning or bending. It helps I changed tires in high school. I just take the back tires to the tire shop, I am too broke down to waller them around anymore!! 

Randy

• Like 1

Pullstart
On 8/12/2020 at 8:14 PM, rick said:

Most modern car/light truck tire changers will handle the 12" rear rims, both to break the bead and remove the tire. I like the bench vise idea for the front tires, I'm going to try that.

I’ve been able to get as small as a 10” wheel broke loose on the tire machine, but 12” and greater is easiest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1