dells68

Great outdoors in SW Virginia

peter lena

looks like the place to try out for bass, pontoon kick boat , fly rod fishing , just looking up an info site on lodging and staying a couple of days . getting towed around by bass or trout will put a very solid smile on your face , pete

• Like 2

Tractorhead

Nice Place to Relax from the Stress of Life

👍

• Like 4

Stormin

Very nice places. Good to see no crowds spoiling things.

• Like 1

Herder

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Thanks for sharing the great pictures Dell.    Brings back some good memories from way back.    I camped there on the way home from Nashville in the late '60s.

Do you know the story on how the park got the "Hungry Mother" name?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Thanks for sharing the great pictures Dell.    Brings back some good memories from way back.    I camped there on the way home from Nashville in the late '60s.

Do you know the story on how the park got the "Hungry Mother" name?

I’ve heard it before several times Ed, but I’ll need to look it up again to get it right.

lynnmor

I was looking for places to camp so when I saw the photos, I checked it out.  Not many open days to reserve.  The story is a bit depressing.

The Legend of Hungry Mother

Legend has it that when the Native Americans destroyed several settlements on the New River south of the park, Molly Marley and her small child were among the survivors taken to the raiders’ base north of the park. They eventually escaped, wandering through the wilderness eating berries. Molly finally collapsed, and her child wandered down a creek until the child found help. The only words the child could utter were "Hungry Mother." The search party arrived at the foot of the mountain where Molly collapsed to find the child's mother dead. Today that mountain is Molly’s Knob, and the stream is Hungry Mother Creek.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1