JasonMc

1976 C-120 Automatic - how does the braking system work?

JasonMc

Hi guys, I purchased my firs WH - a 1976 C-120 Automatic. I have a steep hill on my property and before I go down the hill, I want to understand how my braking system works. I’m aware that this year/model didn’t include disc brakes, so is the breaking purely hydraulic Via transmission and controlled by the speed lever? Has anyone encountered issues with this? Is it safe to use on a steep hill? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason

• Like 2

daveoman1966

The 'Brakng system' is the left fott pedal.  Depressing the pedal brings the shift control linkage to NEUTRAL...effectively stopping tractor motion.  I have a 75 C-160 Auto and it will stop on a hill, then back up the hill if wanted...no problem.  Probably the most detrimental use of the hydro system is to pull UP on the Parking Brake (engagement lever) when in motion....  i.e., the proverbial 'Panic Stop'.  Doing so grinds the Parking Pawl and gears inside the gearbox and filings work their way into the fluid that gets pumped thru the system....destroying sofr brass parts along the way.  Accordingly, NEVER...NOT EVER... pull up on the parking brake when in motion.      

• Like 4

ebinmaine

You can either press the "brake" pedal or use the hand control. Same thing happens. 

I have very little experience with Wheelhorse hydros but plenty with lifts at work. No actual brake is no problem. 

Be sure the shift linkage is adjusted properly in conjunction with the pedal to bring you to neutral when the pedal is pressed. 

• Thanks 1

JasonMc

@daveoman1966 thanks for the info and tip! My concern stemmed primarily from my experience pushing the brake pedal on level ground, it “feels” like there’s no resistance on the pedal and that the speed lever just quickly goes to neutral and continues to creep (I know that I need to adjust this). So I just don’t feel confident that it would “slow” me down a hill like a traditional braking system. In your experience, when going downhill and hitting the brake, is it a “proportional” braking (I.e. a little pressure applied results in a little slowing) or does it just snap to a neutral position and feel like it’s “locked-up”?Maybe I’ll find a more shallow hill to try the first time and see how it goes. Anyhow, I appreciate the explanation!

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Be sure to have the engine throttle at 3/4 or higher so you have adequate cooling from the fan going over the transmission.

The speed of the vehicle should be proportionate to the position of the lever either forward or reverse. There should never be a slamming start stop.

You've got the right idea by finding a more shallow hill. In my experience all machines have a little bit different personality, so to speak.

We know we all love to drive the tractors around for no particular reason so take some time and get used to the way it handles.

Use your foot to make it stop. Do the same thing using the hand control. You may find you have a preference one way or the other.

• Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Be sure to have the engine throttle at 3/4 or higher so you have adequate cooling from the fan going over the transmission.

:WRS:

For controlling the movement on a steep hillside the throttle position is important because the hydraulic pressure is proportional to the engine RPMs. Higher RPMs will aid in slowing and sopping the transmission.

Do not spend too much time on any steep grades, your engine is splash lubricated and if the dipper can't reach the oil because it has gone to one end or one side of the oil pan then the engine will suffer.

• Like 2

rmaynard
3 hours ago, JasonMc said:

@daveoman1966 thanks for the info and tip! My concern stemmed primarily from my experience pushing the brake pedal on level ground, it “feels” like there’s no resistance on the pedal and that the speed lever just quickly goes to neutral and continues to creep (I know that I need to adjust this). So I just don’t feel confident that it would “slow” me down a hill like a traditional braking system. In your experience, when going downhill and hitting the brake, is it a “proportional” braking (I.e. a little pressure applied results in a little slowing) or does it just snap to a neutral position and feel like it’s “locked-up”?Maybe I’ll find a more shallow hill to try the first time and see how it goes. Anyhow, I appreciate the explanation!

Here is a copy of the page covering neutral creep adjustment:

image.png.b797c5bbc07e2157fd95d781fb8b5642.png

• Like 4

daveoman1966

The complete Sundstrand / HydroGear manual is in the MANUALS section here on Red Square.  Download it for free.  Looks like this:

Red Sq manual.JPG

• Like 3

JasonMc

@rmaynard @953 nut @daveoman1966  Than you guys for your input - this is all really great information and definitely gives me some more confidence in the system.  Thank you!

• Like 3

Atlasracera4

does anybody know where i can get the pin between the hydrostatic linkage and lever on the trans on a 75 b120 auto, the wheelhorse #5995 mine fell out and cant find it anywhere i think its # c129 in parts manual looks to be discontinued

Edited by Atlasracera4

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Atlasracera4 said:

does anybody know where i can get the pin between the linkage hyrdostaic and lever on the trans on a 75 C120 auto, the wheelhorse #5995 mine fell out and cant find it anywhere

@daveoman1966

Or

@953 nut

And one of you fellows guide this in the right direction?

• Like 1

Atlasracera4
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@daveoman1966

Or

@953 nut

And one of you fellows guide this in the right direction?

thats a b120 sorry keep mixing up

pfrederi

B-120???  do not think there was such a model???

Atlasracera4
8 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

B-120???  do not think there was such a model???

b100 im at work thinking of a thousand different things

pfrederi

I am a bit confused now is it one of these parts??

pin1.JPG

Atlasracera4

not in that diagram its in the tranny one 

pfrederi

So is it 4-129 (not c-129) Eccentric cam follower?  

Try AtoZ tractor one of the vendors here  a-ztractor.com

pin2.JPG

Atlasracera4

yes thats it 129

daveoman1966

That part...item 129...is held in position by the SHCS  item #128. If the ECC Cam Follower (129) fell out, you better check that the SHCS (128) is in tight and that the ECC is oriented properly to maximize forward and reverse motion of the tractor.

• Like 2

Atlasracera4

seems nobody has the follower checked a-z and a few others looks like if im careful i can atleast finish mowing my lawn by manually holding that lever for now

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Atlasracera4 said:

seems nobody has the follower checked a-z and a few others looks like if im careful i can atleast finish mowing my lawn by manually holding that lever for now

@Stepney

Spenser do you have what he needs on that parts chassis from the Raider? Or is that a different set up?

Stepney

If its the same part on a 1969 Charger 9, then yes I have one, and you could have it for postage. Its very nearly just a male end of a front ball joint. 

Atlasracera4

might even walk my lawn tonight with one of those magnets on wheels couldnt have gone far worked the pass before.

Atlasracera4

blank.gifblank.gif

5995-scaled.jpg

Atlasracera4

I found that cam today it was out in the lawn thank god and thank all of you for the help if i find one to by i might still get it just to have

• Excellent 1