Dan.gerous

Converting to diesel

Dan.gerous

Dimensions are near identical compared to the Yanmar l100.

Yanmar 

Height 494mm

Width 471mm

Depth 412mm

Petter

Height 509mm

Width 456mm

Depth 412mm

The petter is only 7.5hp, but the main thing is it would fit.

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Looks like it has an electric clutch

To me, that looks more like a centrifugal clutch. A while back someone in California started a thread here on a new-to-them WH that had a combo centrifugal and chain drive. First time I'd seen anything like that on a WH.

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
30 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

To me, that looks more like a centrifugal clutch. A while back someone in California started a thread here on a new-to-them WH that had a combo centrifugal and chain drive. First time I'd seen anything like that on a WH.

I think your right.

Dan.gerous

Have a video of it running, will try and post it later. Sounds about as loud as the yanmar, seems like not much to choose between them apart from availability and distance to collect.

Dan.gerous

Surfing the Internet and it seems like these Lister Petter engines might be a bit harsh for the gearbox.

The power pulses wipe them out, whereas the yanmars might be a bit smoother to the drive system.

Might not be worth the risk!

samurayycam
On 8/4/2020 at 10:29 PM, Dan.gerous said:

I have been thinking about converting one of the C125's to a diesel to take advantage of the fuel on the farm and just a general update for one of the machines. There are a couple of posts on here about similar conversions, but was interested to know if there is a near plug and play replacement for the Kohler 301.

What sort of output shaft would be required - I presume the length would be fairly crucial as would be diameter to be able to take the existing pulleys/PTO.

Not interested in stupid power, figured a 10hp Diesel would be sufficient to replace the existing unit, and keep it air cooled for simplicity and package size.

Found these at a great price, I appreciate they are cheap Chinese rip offs, but might be worth a punt: https://www.westbankwholesale.co.uk/LA186F1E-10Hp-ELECTRIC-START-DIESEL-ENGINE-REPLACES-YANMAR-L1001

If you find it on Fleabay you can get the engine external dimensions which are very similar to the Kohler. Roughly the Kohler is 45cm high x 28cm wide x 45cm deep. The Chinese unit is 49cm high x 33cm wide x 47cm deep - it would easly fit in the engine bay without the shaker plate.

Would it be difficult to wire it in? Seems to me that so long as I can get the drive shaft lined up and the pulleys to fit that it shouldnt be a huge project....or am I being overly optimistic?                                               

Thoughts appreciated, just thinking about it at the moment but it might just be worth doing - be nice to not have to mess around with spark plugs, coils and condensers - especially as at the moment having issues with these on my latest aquisition!

s-l1600.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I'm thinking the same thing after the gas hikes. I will be following the thread. :)Thank you.

Edited by samurayycam
I forgot to say thank you.
  • Like 1

Dan.gerous
15 hours ago, samurayycam said:

I'm thinking the same thing after the gas hikes. I will be following the thread. :)Thank you.

I think for the bigger twins there might be a noticeable fuel saving by converting to a single diesel.

Diesel is actually more expensive here than petrol, unless you use the red diesel for farm use.

My main reason  for conversion is to get away from points, condensers, sparkplug etc, it gets tiresome chasing faults.

Hopefully I won't replace those with endless injector and fuel pump issues!

Dan.gerous

YES!!!!!!

Finally got an engine.....err well two of them actually :-)

Not sure if they are the 7hp or 10hp models though. It was a gamble at an auction. Two unused Yanmars for £140 each was worth the risk.

The world's second longest project after @ebinmaine :-)

Super, super, super happy!!!

8-1_jjnb5h.jpg

9-1_yyacht.jpg

9-2_cln8kk.jpg

Edited by Dan.gerous
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

JoeM

sure resembles the clone I used.

image.png.bc27fd01e7ef0c435f27f19bb58a2869.pngimage.png.32a1ca7430e5eae4a5264607c2309e29.png

• Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
59 minutes ago, JoeM said:

sure resembles the clone I used.

Be interesting to see, must be a capacity stamped on them somewhere.

These were the ones listed as Yamahas, which are in fact Yanmars unless I'm mistaken.

Hopefully pick them up on Friday, it's about a 9 hour round trip.

Edited by Dan.gerous

Dan.gerous

Wonder why the military remove the ID plate?

JoeM
6 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Wonder why the military remove the ID plate?

maybe? The clone was 10hp

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
3 minutes ago, JoeM said:

maybe? The clone was 10hp

Looks like we are heading down on Friday to get them, can see what ID remains. Fingers crossed that they are the 10hp units!

• Like 1

Dan.gerous

@JoeM you managed to get yours in without having to cut the hood didn't you?

JoeM

Yeah went in but it was a black hood they are pretty wide, I did raise it up a touch to clear the compression release 

• Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
7 hours ago, JoeM said:

Yeah went in but it was a black hood they are pretty wide, I did raise it up a touch to clear the compression release 

Thats good, all my candidates are black hoods - in fact 4 of my 5 machines are!

• Like 1

JoeM

I wanted to keep everything but the muffler. Here are a few pics to gander at.

IMG_0239.JPG.3d86c0cab29b4ae1e3f80af15b3d9368.JPGIMG_0359.JPG.bf891c0da2fb6323201161f8ee9f28d8.JPGIMG_0434.JPG.37bed2c4c9c03d6943028a58b71d66ea.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
1 minute ago, JoeM said:

IMG_0434.JPG.37bed2c4c9c03d6943028a58b71d66ea.JPG

Another layer of paint and that bad boy wouldn'ta fit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dan.gerous
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

I wanted to keep everything but the muffler. Here are a few pics to gander at.

Thanks, very helpful to see how you did it 😁

The clearance under the hood is definitely squeaky tight!

I did wonder at moving the airbox to the back with a tube around to its intake if space was needed. Could have a bigger airbox, which could make it quieter as well.

Dan.gerous

Well....

Back home after yesterdays trip, but sadly it was a gamble that didn't pay off. The engines are the smaller ones - need to do a bit more research but I think they are about 4-5hp.

Devastated, but its not the end of the world. Will have to get them back up for sale and see what I can make, they are the sort of thing that might power a small cement mixer or generator rather than a garden tractor.

Going to mope about the place for the rest of the day, had been expecting to be doing fun stuff like measuring up for mounting holes etc

Back to the drawing board!

• Sad 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

Going to run about the place for the rest of the day doing fun stuff like measuring up for mounting holes ... For... 

a small cement mixer or generator. 

There. Fixed it for you Dan. 🤪

• Haha 1

Dan.gerous
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

a small cement mixer or generator. 

There. Fixed it for you Dan. 🤪

Ha ha, yeah need to find one with a broken engine, install these then sell....

So annoyed!! But it was a fun day. Picked up a Scottish guy  hitching to London, turns out his cousin drives the schoolbus in my hometown in New Zealand - there are less than 600 people living there!

Dropped the muckrake off to a farmer in Yorkshire, lovely place, nice guy and I so want his little mitsubishi compact with backhoe and FEL!

The engines were stored in an old WW2 hangar on a closed down airbase, so that was interesting even if the units themselves weren't!

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Dan.gerous said:

fun day

The part to focus on for sure.  

• Thanks 1

JoeM
1 hour ago, Dan.gerous said:

but its not the end of the world

Two on one machine maybe? Custom one to run the trans the other for the deck etc.?

Twin engine black hood.....now I'm a think n!

Edited by JoeM
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

peter lena

@Dan.gerous  noting that electric clutch , would detail, lightly lubricate , WITH HI TEMP LUBE, ALL RELATED , SPRING TO CAM RELATED , MOVEMENT POINTS . just enough to ENHANCE MOVEMENT  , use a  super lube type , or a hi temp 560 deg grease smear . improve it as you set it up , every electrical connection , fuel flow and filter , sounds like a neat set up , good luck with it , pete