Dan.gerous

Converting to diesel

Handy Don
10 hours ago, JoeM said:

Just ticking around and making some comparisons. I did find this torque chart for an Eaton 11. Output torque seems to fall off when underpowered. 

image.png.5eec5860ae83f9807c2b1838763cda6f.png

Thanks for posting the chart!

Not sure I agree with "fall off" assessment, though. It seems to me the output curves track quite closely to the input horsepower (8hp is not shown) within the "regular use" range. I would expect torque to decline as output RPM increase up to the design max of 2,000.

Also noticed that the 14hp and up inputs are never really taxed when delivering motion--even at top output speed. That leaves a lot of power available for attachments.

I do agree that the operating conditions are a big factor--hills, soft ground, and large attachment loads can suck power.

• Like 1

Dan.gerous

Okay, sourced another one, just arranging for a holding deposit so it doesn't get sold under me again!

Missing airbox cover, but otherwise runs fine.  Can source parts easily enough.

Screenshot_20220511-193247_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220511-193242_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220511-193235_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220511-193224_Facebook.jpg

• Like 6

Dan.gerous

Came across 3 brand new military engines listed as "Yamaha single diesels".

Looks to me like they are actually Yanmar and its a typo, which is great as people might overlook them at the auction. The reserve is £75 each which is worth a punt even though I am not sure of the HP and the auctioneers have limited information.

Main question for you guys is....

Tapered shafts, its not a show stopper is it?

Still getting the other engine on Saturday and that's a  straight 1" shaft - these are just a bonus if I get any of them.

Screenshot_20220517-104716_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Dan.gerous
  • Like 2

JoeM

Dan they sell a tapered shaft adapter on the bay. just an example. 

Joe

image.png.ef286b1f4c828ab6ad25831e3a962202.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

@Dan.gerous I'm sure you already realize that the tapered shaft is often to drive a generator so apologies if this is redundant!

Typically, the generator would have only one end bearing on its armature and rely on the tapered shaft to align and support the other end. Also, out of the box a generator's diesel engine governor/throttle will typically be set to run at the one speed the generator needed -- 1800 RPM in the US (for 60hz) and 1500 RPM (for 50 hz) in the UK.

As @JoeM noted, the sleeves are an easy adaptation!

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

1800 RPM in the US (for 60hz) and 1500 RPM (for 50 hz) in the UK.

This depends on how many poles the generator has. Your RPM ratings are correct for a 4 pole gen. Most portable generators using a small engine run a 2 pole gen. This changes the RPM to 3600 for 60hz or 3000 for 50hz.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Achto said:

This depends on how many poles the generator has. Your RPM ratings are correct for a 4 pole gen. Most portable generators using a small engine run a 2 pole gen. This changes the RPM to 3600 for 60hz or 3000 for 50hz.

Yep, agreed. :)

The 2-poles I've encountered all had gas engines and, so far, all the 4-poles (including the US military surplus) were diesels.

Horses for courses, right? The diesels are a lot more comfortable at the lower RPMs and have the torque there to carry the load so they get mated to the slower-turning generators.

• Like 1

Achto
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

so far, all the 4-poles (including the US military surplus) were diesels

Guess one would have to find the RPM rating on the engine. The Hatz 1B40 diesel that I have in my tractor is a 3600 RPM engine. It too was a genny engine. I was able to unlock the governor control arm and link it to a throttle cable so that I could have speed control.

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 minute ago, Achto said:

Guess one would have to find the RPM rating on the engine. The Hatz 1B40 diesel that I have in my tractor is a 3600 RPM engine. It too was a genny engine. I was able to unlock the governor control arm and link it to a throttle cable so that I could have speed control.

Very interesting. What was the generator brand?

Handy Don

The torque curve is amazingly flat and I've not before seen a diesel designed to run safely at 3600 rpm. Cool.

Not much info on emissions. Do you run low-sulfur?

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Do you run low-sulfur?

Calls for ultra low-sulfur fuel only. Only emissions info is that it is Tier IV compliant. I can say that it is very difficult to get any black smoke out of the stack on mine.

• Like 3

Snoopy11
5 hours ago, JoeM said:

they sell a tapered shaft adapter on the bay. just an example

WHAT???

How have I never seen anything like that before??? That is EXCELLENT! Thanks for sharing @JoeM!!!

Don

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous

@Achto @JoeM @Handy Don

Thanks fir the interesting points, I never even considered the requirement for constant revs and therefore different governor/throttle setup, but as Achto pointed out, you can retrofit for a normal throttle connection.

I seem to recall us touching on the tapered shaft adapter in the past, that looks like an easy fix so not really an issue. If I can get the engines cheap enough there would suddenly be four diesels sitting in the shed!

• Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
3 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

WHAT???

How have I never seen anything like that before??? That is EXCELLENT! Thanks for sharing @JoeM!!!

Don

Game changer as more often than not these little engines seem to be ex generator units.

• Like 1

Snoopy11
Just now, Dan.gerous said:

I seem to recall us touching on the tapered shaft adapter in the past

Where was I... :confusion-confused:

:hide:

Seriously though... I could have used one of those a LONG time ago... :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 2

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

Game changer

Absolutely!

You know... there are about a dozen engines that I would have in my shop... if I would have known they could be converted! :P

Now I know! Redsquare ROCKS!!! :music-rockout:

Don

• Like 4

Dan.gerous
2 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Absolutely!

You know... there are about a dozen engines that I would have in my shop... if I would have known they could be converted! :P

Now I know! Redsquare ROCKS!!! :music-rockout:

Don

I bet your online now looking for some.....!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Snoopy11
Just now, Dan.gerous said:

I bet your online now looking for some

BBBBBBBWWWWWWWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

OF COURSE I AM !!! :banana-dance:

image.png.5130ab02694b3b21ce64bb2386e8f512.png

Don

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Achto

They work well. I went with the 1 1/8" od adapter. I put some green sleeve locker Loctite on mine when I installed it.  It's pretty much a permanent fixture now. Take a lot of heat to remove it.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Dan.gerous

Woke up this morning ready to begin our long drive down to England for the Yanmar L100. 

Checked messages to see if guy had sent address yet, nothing, no communication at all. 

I don't understand people!!!

Anyway, even though its still listed as "for sale" I'm not prepared to drive 10 hours on the off chance he gets in contact. This has been planned for weeks.

Nevermind, will look again and the smaller L70 is still available only an hour away.

Sigh 😕 

• Like 1

JoeM
7 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

I don't understand people!!!

Well when you figure it out let us know!

I know I run into some that for some reason don't want to tell you their address. I just laugh because if I have a general location and name, thirty seconds later I am looking at the map where the live. I suppose some still think all is hidden?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dan.gerous
3 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Well when you figure it out let us know!

I know I run into some that for some reason don't want to tell you their address. I just laugh because if I have a general location and name, thirty seconds later I am looking at the map where the live. I suppose some still think all is hidden?

It is perplexing!

I just want a motor, not the contents of your house and bank account!!

I might just go for the L70 and stick it in one of the C125 - 8's as a general use machine with the mower deck. That would give me a spare Kohler for the other two machines

The C161 Auto can wait until a bigger unit turns up as that's the bigger FEL project.

Will see how motivation goes today.

Dan.gerous

Any thoughts on lister or petter engines? 

I wonder if they are larger than a similar yanmar. Pickings are slim so casting the net wider to see what else is about.

Have a petter ad1 on marketplace at moment....

Edited by Dan.gerous

Dan.gerous

Looks like it has an electric clutch.

Screenshot_20220521-133806_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220521-133731_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220521-133709_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220521-134027_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220521-134010_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220521-134051_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1