Dan.gerous

Converting to diesel

pfrederi
4 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

I was browsing through diesel engines this morning and came across this one:

https://www.titan-pro.co.uk/p/268/9HP-Diesel-Engine

I'm not particulary interested in the engine, but did notice that it has two PTO options, the normal one and also one off the camshaft that spins at half the engine speed. I didnt even know such a thing was an option, guess that would be handy for driving a hydraulic pump or something.

TroyBilt rototillers (and others) use a camshaft out put to run the wheels...Tines run off the crankshaft

• Excellent 1

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE DONE 2 DIESEL WHEEL HORSES. THE FIRST WAS A 417-8 I USED A 10 H/P, NEXT WAS A 1954 6 H/P. BOTH WERE MORE POWER THAN I EVER NEEDED. THEY TOOK ABOUT 5 HOURS TO DO.. 

• Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

TroyBilt rototillers (and others) use a camshaft out put to run the wheels...Tines run off the crankshaft

It makes sense to use a different output, less space required for a start.

Dan.gerous
Just now, SALTYWRIGHT said:

I HAVE DONE 2 DIESEL WHEEL HORSES. THE FIRST WAS A 417-8 I USED A 10 H/P, NEXT WAS A 1954 6 H/P. BOTH WERE MORE POWER THAN I EVER NEEDED. THEY TOOK ABOUT 5 HOURS TO DO.. 

That's quick!

What sort of engines? Chinese copies or decent alternatives?

Achto
3 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Looking at specifications for a hatz 1b40 it is able to handle an inward pressure of 1200nm on the PTO shaft.

That converts to 885ft lbs, I don't believe that you would ever put that much pressure on the end of the crank shaft with a PTO clutch.

BTW -  So far I love my Hatz 1B40.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
3 minutes ago, Achto said:

That converts to 885ft lbs, I don't believe that you would ever put that much pressure on the end of the crank shaft with a PTO clutch.

BTW -  So far I love my Hatz 1B40.:)

Waiting to hear back from the guy that owns the IB40, then have to start begging my wife to let me buy it if all is good....

He brought it to convert a motorcycle but it didn't fit.

What have you got your IB40 in? I have probably read your posts on it but they all start to blur together after a while!

bc.gold
6 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

I was browsing through diesel engines this morning and came across this one:

https://www.titan-pro.co.uk/p/268/9HP-Diesel-Engine

I'm not particulary interested in the engine, but did notice that it has two PTO options, the normal one and also one off the camshaft that spins at half the engine speed. I didnt even know such a thing was an option, guess that would be handy for driving a hydraulic pump or something.

Camshaft PTO opposite rotation at half the engine rpm.

• Like 1

Achto
14 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

What have you got your IB40 in? I have probably read your posts on it but they all start to blur together after a while!

I have mine in my 1045D named "Radpferd"

DSCN2652-min.JPG.7f38eff6f56e343e617df4854d7b95d1.JPG

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 3

Achto
16 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

then have to start begging my wife to let me buy it if all is good....

Forgiveness is much easier than permission.:D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lane Ranger

The thing to remember about these engines is that UK and Canada made diesels are not made to comply with U. S. Clean Air regulations.  

So almost none of these motors are available from USA small engine dealers.  

So you might buy one in Canada 🇨🇦 but will have to wait until they let U S A citizens back in their country!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Haha 2

Dan.gerous
9 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

The thing to remember about these engines is that UK and Canada made diesels are not made to comply with U. S. Clean Air regulations.  

So almost none of these motors are available from USA small engine dealers.  

So you might buy one in Canada 🇨🇦 but will have to wait until they let U S A citizens back in their country!

That's ok as I live in the UK at the moment

• Like 1

JoeM

Did a C85 black hood a few years back, traded it to @shallowwatersailor, he maybe able to chime in on it's condition. Seemed very strong as compared to a gaser in same hp range. 

Hood clearance was an issue, raised hood 3/4 and kind of spread it. Used 3/8 plate threaded blocks to locate engine in correct alignment and welded in place.  

bigshow2016WHD01.jpg.a172c2f6e9454487c4b552e721ae53a7.jpg

IMG_0515.JPG.fd7791867ce6f5949d7bd234ba533185.JPG

bigshow2016WHD02.jpg.dccb9c52899deb27ce8384abd52bf673.jpgIMG_0123.JPG.0b1ad447f7003497b6dd901f4ed61fd2.JPG

2103673502_StackweldconnectiononC85Diesel.jpg.765d1782d8c46770e559ccb8f537a37b.jpgIMG_0437.JPG.e3d32f9450786de11b8b839f8fe49d43.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

Dan.gerous
3 hours ago, TractorJunkie said:

Did a C85 black hood a few years back, traded it to @shallowwatersailor, he maybe able to chime in on it's condition. Seemed very strong as compared to a gaser in same hp range. 

Hood clearance was an issue, raised hood 3/4 and kind of spread it. Used 3/8 plate threaded blocks to locate engine in correct alignment and welded in place.  

bigshow2016WHD01.jpg.a172c2f6e9454487c4b552e721ae53a7.jpg

That's one of the posts I read through from start to finish that got me really excited about the diesel idea - lovely job Tractor Junkie.

JoeM

6 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

That's one of the posts I read

I wasn't sure if I posted that or not I'm going to have to take a look. Fun project. Engine was a good bit cheaper then. 

• Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
4 minutes ago, TractorJunkie said:

I wasn't sure if I posted that or not I'm going to have to take a look. Fun project. Engine was a good bit cheaper then. 

It was one of the first I found searching on Google, and also came across @skippers super fast v twin. The way you guys make everything look so easy is inspiring!

ebinmaine
48 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

skippers super fast v twin

Not to go off topic too far but if you could share the link for that I'd appreciate it...

Dan.gerous
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Not to go off topic too far but if you could share the link for that I'd appreciate it...

It should be here:

• Thanks 1

Dan.gerous

So here is another question....

I have two candidates for conversion, the C161 Hydro or a  C125 8 speed.

Any benefit in converting a hydro? Or would all the advantages be lost with the drive unit? That's actually the prime candidate at the moment as it's in bits, in the middle of the workshop, and the engine has seen better days....

Thoughts appreciated 😊

ebinmaine

I'd be leary of the hydro only because the diesel will put a lot of torque through it. 

Not sure what the rated capacity of the different hydro models is. Perhaps it would be perfectly fine. 

Too bad you don't live closer. 

I've enough parts to build another 8 speed rig I'd donate just to see this. 

• Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd be leary of the hydro only because the diesel will put a lot of torque through it. 

Not sure what the rated capacity of the different hydro models is. Perhaps it would be perfectly fine. 

Too bad you don't live closer. 

I've enough parts to build another 8 speed rig I'd donate just to see this. 

I know I am constantly jealous of the stuff you guys have over in the US!

I should have enough to do this, just need to decide on engine, allocate funds, then do it.....can't talk about it forever!

I think Skippers V twin was on a hydro so there is probably no reason not to use that machine, and if it works could also do the C125 as that engine needs a rebuild anyway. Could use that engine as a spare for the other two C125's :-)

Big plans, shallow pockets! that damn shed has taken all my play money away for a month or two :-(

• Like 1

JoeM
3 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

allocate funds

A while back something came up and I had to dip into the tractor funds. My wife and I was talking and I said "that was expensive, I had to use my tractor money", she said "that is our tractor money!" :unsure:

I stand corrected!

• Haha 1

Dan.gerous
19 minutes ago, TractorJunkie said:

A while back something came up and I had to dip into the tractor funds. My wife and I was talking and I said "that was expensive, I had to use my tractor money", she said "that is our tractor money!" :unsure:

I stand corrected!

We graciously divert our funds to other projects when forced to.....

• Like 1

Dan.gerous

Another question...

What are the options for using a tapered shaft engine? It's there a fitting to go over the taper or do you have to replace the crank?

Just curious as lots of generator engines about, but they have the wrong shaft configuration.

Found a Ruggerini MD150 twin cylinder that might be an interesting option except it came off a generator, also the rpm is 3000 which might be just a little low with the standard pulleys.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Another question...

What are the options for using a tapered shaft engine? It's there a fitting to go over the taper or do you have to replace the crank?

Just curious as lots of generator engines about, but they have the wrong shaft configuration.

Found a Ruggerini MD150 twin cylinder that might be an interesting option except it came off a generator, also the rpm is 3000 which might be just a little low with the standard pulleys.

There are taper adapters available. @Achto could help you out here. 

That rpm would be tolerable to me where we don't run implements. You could change a pulley slightly to compensate if needed. 

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

adapter.JPG

• Thanks 2