The Tuul Crib

Needle bearing removal

The Tuul Crib

I am working on the Sunstrand and was pressing one of the needle bearings in on the shaft that goes to the transmission. Well the inevitable happened! It got messed up. So I am looking to replace the four bearings of the same size which is a Torrington 1416. My question is how or is there a special tool To pull these bearings out?

CE9BBCC5-5C5B-4359-AACA-86D2D1F61CC1.jpeg

bc.gold

Fill with grease then drive a wood plug into the recess.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
7 minutes ago, bcgold said:

Fill with grease then drive a wood plug into the recess.

I forgot all about that method. I actually have an old shaft to put in the hole that might work. After doing some more searching I did find a puller called a blind hole bearing puller. But that's around 60 or 70 bucks.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Well that would have worked but there's other passages where the fluid passes through and the grease comes flying out!

daveoman1966

With the bearing COMPLETELY clean...NO RESIDUE at all...  Same for the shaft you have.   

PLUG the passage holes FIRST...then

Fill it up with GORILLA Glue or SUPER GLUE...  .. 

Gllue your spare SHAFT into the bearing...Let the glue CURE for a day... then try to pull the shaft out.  

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, The Tuul Crib said:

I forgot all about that method. I actually have an old shaft to put in the hole that might work. After doing some more searching I did find a puller called a blind hole bearing puller. But that's around 60 or 70 bucks.

Lots of auto parts stores will lend or rent special tools like this. Our Parts Plus store has been great about this.

The Tuul Crib
48 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Lots of auto parts stores will lend or rent special tools like this. Our Parts Plus store has been great about this.

Thanks I'll check that I have a local 

o'Reillys that does rent tools and I'll see if they have one tomorrow. If not I will have to buy one and I think harbor freight has just what I need. 

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Check out yur local AUTO ZONE for this Blind Bearng Puller.  They will rent it to you.

Edited by daveoman1966

Skipper

Yeah. I got that set of pullers. They work great. Use them mostly for car transmissions, but comes in handy often in GT land too. Not too expensive either :-). Think it was on fleabay I got them.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

bc.gold

Use a round shaft that fits the bearing, drill a hole to accept the taper pin then with a hacksaw cut one end into a cross, tape the shaft into the blond hole causing the end to expand.

You may have to shorten the taper pin.

The top end of the shaft previously drilled and tapped to accept your slid hammer, one needle bearing removed.

tap.png

bc.gold
On 7/31/2020 at 4:32 PM, The Tuul Crib said:

Well that would have worked but there's other passages where the fluid passes through and the grease comes flying out!

To plug the holes cut a thick leather or rubber gasket plug to place under the bearing.

CE9BBCC5-5C5B-4359-AACA-86D2D1F61CC1.jpeg

Edited by bcgold