JoeM

Shipping Containers for Storage Pros / Cons

JoeM

Looking at shipping container for storage. zoning says okay no tax no permit needed. Strange cause zoning is a issue with building. 

Anyone using these? Good / bad idea. 

I am looking for something that will hold a three machines and some parts. The sizes that are advertised are 8 x 20 and 8 x 40. 

• Like 2

DougC

I am also considering  a container for storage as I am only allowed a 10X12  shed as many as I want and not raise my current property taxes.....

Those tax you to death people gotta go..............;)

• Like 2

Stormin

I'd like one mesel', but unfortunately don't have the room for one. I'd go for an insulated one.

• Like 2

SPINJIM

They're kinda ugly, and if your neighbors object, you might might see a new zoning ordinance against them.  I wouldn't want one in my yard unless it was 100 yards away behind some trees or a fence.  Just my opinion since you asked.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Perhaps @19richie66 could chime in

RJ Hamner

Were you looking at putting it behind the current workshop?

You could always plant a line of evergreens between it and your neighbor

Not a bad idea if the zoning prohibits a stick built or pre-fab

• Like 1

Blackhood Bill

@TractorJunkie I have been kicking that around myself. I have actually been talking with my neighbors and explaining the cost of a container versus a traditional stick built building and so far I have gotten the answer “ well your gonna paint it right?, I don’t have a problem with it.”

• Thanks 1

JoeM
45 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

kinda ugly

Flat out ugly! Probably paint it. Might get two if it works. Won't be able to see them from the house, neighbors can, but the two I talked to said they don't care much. 

19 minutes ago, RJ Hamner said:

Were you looking at putting it behind the current workshop?

Exactly 

RJ Hamner

I notice you mentioned two sizes.  Always buy the bigger one.

Just my $0.02

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
7 minutes ago, TractorJunkie said:

Flat out ugly! Probably paint it. Might get two if it works. Won't be able to see them from the house, neighbors can, but the two I talked to said they don't care much. 

Exactly 

You could always put some sort of cladding on it to soften the effect, or paint a nice picture!

JoeM
2 hours ago, DougC said:

I am only allowed a 10X12

Here we can build a 260 square foot structure or smaller by permit only. Anything larger has to have a variance approved at the zoning meeting. I had a 24x40 scheduled and one neighbor complained so now the board only approves buildings over 260 if they are absolutely necessary.  Storage is not a necessary in their eyes. It is a set precedence.  A real mess, they changed the zoning a few years back from agricultural to residential. 

• Sad 2

JoeM
1 minute ago, RJ Hamner said:

Always buy the bigger one

And it is to small already! lol

• Haha 1

RJ Hamner

So....do you get a better price if you buy 12?

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Dan.gerous
2 minutes ago, TractorJunkie said:

Here we can build a 260 square foot structure or smaller by permit only. Anything larger has to have a variance approved at the zoning meeting. I had a 24x40 scheduled and one neighbor complained so now the board only approves buildings over 260 if they are absolutely necessary.  Storage is not a necessary in their eyes. It is a set precedence.  A real mess, they changed the zoning a few years back from agricultural to residential. 

The kids and I were discussing out buildings yesterday, and we thought going underground would be a good way to have a lot of storage with no impact on the landscape. I doubt it would be cheap, but you could have a 6ft X 6ft garden shed that just contains the access ramp....

I suppose for that matter you could bury the container?

Anyway, back on topic!

I know condensation can be an issue with containers so the suggestion to get a refrigerated one is a good point to consider.

• Like 1

Sparky
31 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

I know condensation can be an issue with containers so the suggestion to get a refrigerated one is a good point to consider.

When I was working in Guam I was amazed at how many people lived in shipping containers. I even drank at a bar that was inside a shipping container! 
  They had a standard door cut in and maybe a window or two and power and that made it a home (or bar). 
  So if we brought in power there’s no reason a thru-the-wall-fan couldn’t be cut into the side, might help with condensation. 

• Like 2

Blackhood Bill

Do a search on you tube for a container shed or any variance of that. There are numerous different ideas on what you can do with one. Also many different ideas on how to control the air quality and such. Very interesting to see what can and could be done with them.

• Like 4

Redneckdavis

I looked into for a house. And also a shop. . For the shop. Was going to go with 2. One on the ground, one on blocks. 15ft or so between them, and then roof. Pitch built in, but that wouldn't work for snow.... 

If you go that route less than 2k  for 40ft is what you want. And spray in insulation is key. There is 2kinds one you want one you don't.

Air flow or not, it's an oven in the summer and freezer in winter without insulation. All construction sites use them and I've been in quite a few. Lol

• Like 1

19richie66

Only problem I have had so far is “container rain”. They sweat inside and drip from the roof in cold climates. You have to insulate at least the ceiling with closed cell foan or spray foam insulation. I have two high cubes I want to build a 20x40 pole barn between and put awnings out over them from the barn. Cover the roofs. I also made side vents for mine and cut open larger holes with mesh behind them for cross ventilation. Eventually have exhaust fans. I love mine. 2500 for one and 2700 for the other. 403916A3-ADCA-475F-93AF-AAABE964F761.jpeg.5fbc8846bebe4d5f7c19e78985cfbc21.jpegB603EC86-73C2-4BA0-BC34-9581EB95AE5D.jpeg.b793adf97bc186b8a093bca6b979cc88.jpegCB450E43-DA03-4756-9FF0-82E6B16101BD.jpeg.7f1741d0de0802f5aee20dce383d023c.jpeg040C0137-1A29-4AE1-8335-45B10A01CC47.jpeg.9c4da75981e40aa9ae16afef5a571283.jpeg

E80F9D9F-2399-4397-8B2A-6D9609328375.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine

There's a home (in Vermont?) That's made of 2 insulated and cooled reefer containers. 

They each have a small door on what would be the passenger side if on a truck. 

One has the rear doors removed and set in a "T" against the small side door of the other forming a large offset T shaped building. 

The fridge units were modified to keep to human happy temps. Both still run on diesel as far as I'm aware. 

• Like 2

Redneckdavis

@19richie66 that's what I was talking about. And "closed cell" is which type I was trying to remember. 

@ebinmaine only problem I found with the reefers was more money and alot harder to find. 

Also there is a "high cube" version. That gives you another 6in or so head clearance but again more money less available. 

• Like 2

troutbum70

My wife just retired today as chief assessor here in Tioga county after 25 years, she says if you live in Fayette or Green county they probably would not tax it. And even if they did they would probably only put an assed value of $500.00 on it, and that would amount to very little in tax like maybe $20.00 dollars a year. She says the best thing to do is check with your county assessment office and then you will know the correct answer. She says your zoning knows nothing about what is taxable, not their obligation to know.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

I checked all my possibillities to get my Machines in a Barn.

@TractorJunkie i was also still lurking for an 40 foot container.

To hide that ugly for the neighbours you can hull it outside with Wood, so it looks it where built of Wood

or repaint it, that‘s up to you.

I think for hot summerday‘s a exo shell of Wood will keep it internally much cooler like an added insulation.

But it‘s a good solution to talk with neighbours and get their Ok ahead to prevent unwanted surprises than.

i know also about the Theme inside moisture, that can become to rain someday‘s.

An insulation inside the ceiling is recommended even the Breather @19richie66 built is a great idea,

to get a breathing between inside and outside and moisture can pass out.

After i get my promis for a 70 sqm part of a huge Shed where i can rent for cheap, i dropped this search.

The biggest Advance is i can install a Car Lift in that Shed, i can‘t do sensefully in a Container.

But my Plan before where a Container because cheap and if needed easy to move even later on.

still have to wait at least 2 years, but that timeline go fast.

• Like 3

19richie66
9 hours ago, Redneckdavis said:

@19richie66 that's what I was talking about. And "closed cell" is which type I was trying to remember. 

@ebinmaine only problem I found with the reefers was more money and alot harder to find. 

Also there is a "high cube" version. That gives you another 6in or so head clearance but again more money less available. 

The high cube is 12” taller. 8’6” for standard and 9’6” for high cube. Where I got mine it wasn’t much more at all for the extra ceiling space. Plan on foam ceiling with 2x4 cross bracing for lights and maybe even a ceiling fan or two 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

1130272203_Screenshot_20200801-074206_SamsungInternet.jpg.0be68eebd31a61da802df070aa66365f.jpgGot to have it.

Unless mold, mildew and rust are a non issue for you.

• Like 6

JCM

@19richie66  you are correct about the closed cell foam, that is what I used on the cargo trailer converted into a mini WH hauler and have no moisture issues and noticed a 10 to 15 degree drop in inside temp and should be warmer when camping in cooler weather. the added roof vent with maxx air cover to be able to leave vent fully open on rainy days.    :handgestures-thumbup:

DSCN0125.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1