Renrag

Just another 11h on a b115 needing tlc

Renrag

Ok motor runs good ecept not as smooth as it should. I adjusted carb the best it'll run, after doing head gasket 4 times, but still has a slight sputter here and there. I cant adjust it totally out. And bottom saperation and somewhere around a few screws in getting oil leakage, should i worry about doing anything else to reseal that seperation, and gasket/ permatex or just tighten bolts down. I dont want to mess up motor, its strong and does run good for most part.

953 nut

A head gasket that will not seal properly is an indication that the head is not flat. Remove the head, place a sheet of 100 Wet/Dry sand paper on a sheet of glass, oil it down and sand the head in a figure eight pattern until it is flat. Never use permatex on a head gasket.

Renrag

Yea i kinda done that, i used a small level and sandpaper trying for same outcome, i sprayed cab cleaner around head after the last head gasket and finally got nothing, but cant work that slight stumple when i throw the throttle quickly or at low idle

oliver2-44
1 hour ago, Renrag said:

, but cant work that slight stumple when i throw the throttle quickly or at low idle

Check for air leakage around the carb to block flange and around the carb throttle shaft.  With the tractor idling spray some carb cleaner in those areas and see if the engine speeds up a little.   If it does, thats where its leaking air.  

• Like 1

gwest_ca

For a stumble while idling try a shot of Marvel Mystery oil or 2-stroke oil in the fuel. That will add some lubrication to the valve stems.

For a stumble on acceleration richen the low speed mixture screw slightly. These carbs do not have acceleration pumps.

Garry

• Like 1

Renrag

Would it not sending the full 3 amps have anything to do with a stumble or would it backfire a bit. Im wondering about checking armuture to see if its working right, ive tried both those suggestions and not it. Im guessing at this point

953 nut

If you have a good battery that will start the engine the voltage is not an issue, the charging system just replenishes the battery for the next time.

Renrag

Ty 953 nut , like i said just a guess, i wasn't  sure how much it controlled or not. Could there be a outward leak causing it? I might be able to do a smoke test if so.

Renrag

Ok i found the air leak on the idle screw shaft, so now how do i seal it? Ive never messed with that shaft, is there a o ring?

20200824_192136.jpg

oliver2-44

Today I’m more familiar with Kohler carbs than Briggs although I kept.a Briggs 16  hp for running for 25 years. While not a permanent fix you might try putting a coating of some heavy grease around that shaft.  The grease might be enough to block air leakage at least to confirm that’s the problem.  Then it may be time for a new carb. 
Others can chime in here with a better permanent repair solution

Edited by oliver2-44