Sign in to follow this  
Mickwhitt

Deck rescue

Mickwhitt

Hi all.

I have just been gifted a couple of old decks to play with.

They are fairly well rusted but the bearings and blades are OK as are the attachment mountings.

I plan to make a new deck shell from scratch and use the old hardware to get it working.

Are new blades available? Or shall I find a suitable sized blade to base the new deck on? 

Are there any pitfalls to avoid when rebuilding a deck? Never done anything like this so any advice would be more than welcome.

Mick 

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib

You can get blades of off fleabay

as well as the bearings. Sometimes the 

spindle housing can be ate up. New ones can be pricey and used ones are around.

peter lena

mick, are you going to make them from stainless steel ? or buy a good solid used one? blades and spindles are available , rebuilding spindles is not that difficult , do you have a hand press to push in bearings? pitfalls could be the grass trapping areas , keeping things as open and smooth as possible helps a deck stay clean . i prefer the rear discharge , for its almost deck wide smooth discharge. i also a greasable bearing in the spindles, only a matter of removing one side of the grease seal on upper and lower bearings inside spindle. i use lucas RED AND TACKY GREASE for a fail safe lube, 550 drop point . my own experience is to detail all friction lube areas , and add an idler pulley on the back side of the unsupported spindle belt , which dramatically  cuts down on belt bounce. let us know how you are making out , pete  

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

thanks for the advice, I have it in bits,  which was worrying me with all the rust. Thought everything would be seized, but all came undone relatively easily.

I will make the new deck from 3 mm plate, not stainless, a bit too over the top for me.

Mick 

• Like 2

Lee1977
23 hours ago, The Tuul Crib said:

You can get blades of off fleabay

as well as the bearings. Sometimes the 

spindle housing can be ate up. New ones can be pricey and used ones are around.

If the spindle housings are still usable keep them painted as the acid in the grass eats them away. There isn't anything that will stay on the under side of a deck If you have to mow over sand or gravel even grass or leafs will beat it off. So cleaning and treating or painting at least once a year is the best way to keep it in good condition. I don't always get that done ever year so mowing when it's dry if you can helpd also. The deck on my C-120 is 43 years old not in top condition but it's still holding together and getting the job done.

• Like 2

peter lena

this what i do to mine, at least a couple of times a year , zero rot or rust , feed the metal with lubrication , heat the deck up , it really works , pete

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Peter, that looks like great advice, as you say any coating will be scoured off in use so lubricating the steel makes a lot of sense.

Lee, the bearing spindle housings look OK. Im going to clean them up and fit new bearings.

I've stripped down a spare one to see whats on the inside and I can easily make new spindles if they are worn.

I will get all the mechanical parts in order before I start on the tin work.

Mick 

• Like 3

Dan.gerous
20 hours ago, peter lena said:

this what i do to mine, at least a couple of times a year , zero rot or rust , feed the metal with lubrication , heat the deck up , it really works , pete

I took your advice with my immaculate side discharge deck, it makes it much easier to clean and I sleep better at night knowing rust isn't destroying it!

• Excellent 1

peter lena

good on you dan, i find lubrication in general is a most neglected thing i see in equipment . i kind of go to the extreme on my stuff , but then again i am looking to make it work easier and live longer . honestly though , since lubricating my decks , i do not have any rust issues , they also clean up much easier , making a deck drop ,inspection just part of my regular over look. keep your horse going , pete

• Thanks 1