TonyToro

Adjustable engine plate

TonyToro

Has anyone seen or have an adjustable engine plate? I saw a guy last year with one on his WheelHorse. He was able to swap pulleys and keep the same belt by adjusting forward or backwards on the plate. We are in a good position with our tractor power wise but ground speed needs to increase. Any help would be appreciated. 

SPINJIM

I've seen an adjustable / sliding engine mount plate, but never saw one on a WH.   Just missed out on one at an auction, and wish now that I had bid higher.

stevasaurus

Just remember that your belt guard is your clutch, you may have to modify the guard to make shifting without grinding still be OK.  :eusa-think:

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Does it NEED to vary from day to day?

Have you already swapped out the transmission pulley?

TonyToro
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Does it NEED to vary from day to day?

Have you already swapped out the transmission pulley?

No I haven’t changed rear pulley. I have a few quick change engine pulleys now but quick change isn’t so quick since the belt also needs to be changed. 

Yes we are trying to get them

most out of the tractor. Pulleys would need to be changed with track conditions at each pull. 

• Like 1

TonyToro
6 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Just remember that your belt guard is your clutch, you may have to modify the guard to make shifting without grinding still be OK.  :eusa-think:

I know it has tabs to keep the belt in place but what else does the guard do? 

wallfish

The belt guard supports the belt around the engine pulley to allow it to slip when the clutch pedal is pushed.

How many different size pulleys would you be using?

Just kind of " thinking out loud here", but if you adjust everything using the largest engine pulley, then when you change to a smaller one the belt gets slack. maybe take up that slack with an adjustable arm with an idler pulley attached. Make exact holes in the arm which match each pulley size so that arm is quickly adjustable too. :dunno:

67029716_changepulleysamebelt.jpg.fdb84505d47ea482217807ebab11c1ee.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

TonyToro
21 minutes ago, wallfish said:

The belt guard supports the belt around the engine pulley to allow it to slip when the clutch pedal is pushed.

How many different size pulleys would you be using?

Just kind of " thinking out loud here", but if you adjust everything using the largest engine pulley, then when you change to a smaller one the belt gets slack. maybe take up that slack with an adjustable arm with an idler pulley attached. Make exact holes in the arm which match each pulley size so that arm is quickly adjustable too. :dunno:

67029716_changepulleysamebelt.jpg.fdb84505d47ea482217807ebab11c1ee.jpg

Oh.... I like that idea. I haven’t been able to look at the other guys tractor who already run adjustable engine mounts to see what they are doing for belt slack and any other adjustments on the engine plate. I’m new to all this just trying to gather ideas to get this done for our tractor.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I like @wallfish 's idea.

Keep us posted as to what you do.

I'd be curious to see the final system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

The belt guard funnels slack in the belt toward the engine pulley when you step on the clutch.  With the slack at the engine pulley, the input pulley stops so you can shift without grinding gears.  You have to make a guard for each pulley you use on the engine.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

fast88pu
On July 12, 2020 at 9:35 AM, TonyToro said:

Has anyone seen or have an adjustable engine plate? I saw a guy last year with one on his WheelHorse. He was able to swap pulleys and keep the same belt by adjusting forward or backwards on the plate. We are in a good position with our tractor power wise but ground speed needs to increase. Any help would be appreciated. 

What size engine you running and also what size rear tire and is it a 4 or 8 speed? 

TonyToro
2 hours ago, fast88pu said:

What size engine you running and also what size rear tire and is it a 4 or 8 speed? 

It’s a Kohler 14hp with loads of work done to it. Tires are 23x10.5x12 and running a 8 speed with the larger axles 1 1/8” 

TonyToro

The tractor is a Raider 14

Pullstart

Most belt guards have a spot welded angle iron piece in the inside to help drag the belt to a stop.  If you drill out the spot welds your can use a heavier piece of angle to make that adjustable according to the pulley size as well.  

fast88pu
6 hours ago, TonyToro said:

It’s a Kohler 14hp with loads of work done to it. Tires are 23x10.5x12 and running a 8 speed with the larger axles 1 1/8” 

What gear you running in? 

oilwell1415

How long is the input shaft on the transmission?  There may be a better solution, but it would take some work to set it up.

TonyToro
2 hours ago, fast88pu said:

What gear you running in? 

3rd High 

right now running just under 6mph on transfer sled.

TonyToro
1 hour ago, oilwell1415 said:

How long is the input shaft on the transmission?  There may be a better solution, but it would take some work to set it up.

I’m not sure the length. I could go measure it. It’s stock 8 speed transmission.

fast88pu
55 minutes ago, TonyToro said:

3rd High 

right now running just under 6mph on transfer sled.

Change over to 26x12x12 tires.   Will bump you up mph. Also what rpms are you running? 

• Like 1

TonyToro
3 hours ago, fast88pu said:

Change over to 26x12x12 tires.   Will bump you up mph. Also what rpms are you running? 

I can’t run bigger tire. That is the size tire for that class.
4000 rpm max 

oilwell1415
18 hours ago, TonyToro said:

I’m not sure the length. I could go measure it. It’s stock 8 speed transmission.

Here's a top view of what I was thinking.  A is the factory belt, B is a second belt, C is a third.  Gears would be better for belts B and C if you can find them and have the equipment to set the shafts up accurately enough for them to work.  The green marks indicate a pulley mounted on the shaft, the red mark are two pulleys connected to each other and floating on a shaft.  This would give you quick change pulleys on belt C and not have to mess with the clutch adjustment.

image.png.65b2f9da6da1a7b498492f70f03902ec.png

oilwell1415
13 hours ago, TonyToro said:

4000 rpm max 

Are you getting the full 4,000 rpm under load during a pull?  Is the governor giving you full throttle at that rpm?  The governor will start to shut things down a few hundred rpm before its set point just because of the way it works.  If you aren't getting full rpm or full throttle under load you may be able to ditch the governor and use an electronic rev limiter to maintain the limit without having to close the throttle to do it.  Getting all the way to 4000 rpm or having full throttle and being able to run in 4th gear may get you what you need.

• Like 1

TonyToro
7 hours ago, oilwell1415 said:

Are you getting the full 4,000 rpm under load during a pull?  Is the governor giving you full throttle at that rpm?  The governor will start to shut things down a few hundred rpm before its set point just because of the way it works.  If you aren't getting full rpm or full throttle under load you may be able to ditch the governor and use an electronic rev limiter to maintain the limit without having to close the throttle to do it.  Getting all the way to 4000 rpm or having full throttle and being able to run in 4th gear may get you what you need.

No problems with power. We have been placing 3-4th place entire year. Just need more momentum midfield.

TonyToro

I just got a picture of an adjustable mount in another guys tractor.

The mount I saw I will get specs and pictures the 26th. This one would work too but just more lining up and wrenching.

E086FC37-E234-4EB1-AA01-00F4DB9191D8.png

fast88pu
On July 14, 2020 at 9:58 PM, TonyToro said:

4000 rpm max 

Yeah your at the limit then

• Haha 1